PDA

View Full Version : Long underwear

mac
04-03-2003, 14:27
I'm trying to buy my long underwear, (long johns, long handled underwear, or whatever your momma called them :) I'm trying to buy it off-season (if there is such a thing) with the hopes that it will be cheaper. Anyone out there got a personal preference for a thru hike starting in mid march at Springer?

Scamp
04-03-2003, 14:39
Campmor often puts winter stuff on sale
at this time of year.
Try campmor.com .

Scamp

chris
04-03-2003, 16:28
Keep an eye on www.sierratradingpost.com

Lots of closeouts. Look for something advertised as medium weight. Capeline seems to be the fanciest stuff around and it is occasionally at sierra trading post.

I use some Canadian stuff from Mountain Equipment Coop. Very good prices for very good gear (think of it as a tougher, less stylized version of REI) and you get to pay in Canadian dollars. The US dollar is strong against the Canadian dollar right now. Some of their stuff (MSR, Gregory, Arc'teryx) cannot be shipped to the US, though.

Don
04-03-2003, 16:52
If cost is the consideration you'll find plent of inexpensive polypro at Sierra trading post.... They carry a lot seconds and discontinueds by Wickers, Duofold, and so forth...You might not always get the color/size combo you want but you'll get something that will stretch your dollars... In addition, REI-Outlet.com also carries discontinued and factory seconds as well as last years model at pretty good prices.... Don't see a of discounted Capilene...

mac
04-03-2003, 18:36
What about surplus military polypro? Will it do the trick?

jlb2012
04-03-2003, 19:10
sounds good to me - try www.rangerjoes.com - they sometimes have good prices on mil surplus stuff

mac
04-03-2003, 19:37
Don, Chris, thanx Sierra Trading Post had exactly what I was looking for!

Dirtyoldman
04-04-2003, 05:37
Keep an eye on the hunting departments as well

Don
04-04-2003, 09:55
The hunting/fishing department is actually a great idea...Big sporting goods stores like Dick's or BassPro tend to have really good prices on fleece, nylon clothing, hats, etc...generally much cheaper than "outfitters". Brands will differ to be sure but Malden Polartec is pretty much Malden Polartec whoever puts a label on the inside...

ga>me>ak
04-04-2003, 13:04
Didn't see your post till today, but, looks like you were taken care of. Just got my stuff from Sierria and was going to recommend them( great price!!). Just curious, what did you order( for long johns)? Also, keep an eye on Sierria, they are constantly changing what's on sale.

Chris, why the midweight and not the expd for the added protection just in case of severe cold?

chris
04-04-2003, 13:50
I think the midweight underwear is a good compromise between in camp warmth and on trail comfort. Unless it is bitterly, bitterly cold,
hiking in heavyweight thermals will be a sweat fest. Once I have a set of thermals on and am moving, I am loathe to stop, strip naked, and change clothes. Not for modesty, but it is just a pain.

I've found that I can hike in midweights (with nylon pants and a softshell jacket) and be comfortable with temps around 25 degrees (F). That is, I don't overheat while hiking and I can take 10-15 minute breaks without getting chilled (longer and I do). In camp, I add warmer clothes. Basically, the midweights never come off and I don't have to worry about donning warm clothes at each rest break (as I would in lightweight thermals).

When it is very cold (single digits or teens), I will typically bring a heavyweight top. In camp, the midweight top comes off and the heavyweight top goes on. I tend not to bring the heavyweight tights, as I have a pair of fleece pants for that sort of thing.

Dirtyoldman
04-05-2003, 05:23
I find I have to add a heavy weight layer to what i am wearing in camp to make up the differance....

guess its old age creeping in:eek:

mac
04-08-2003, 09:50
ga>me>ak "Just curious, what did you order( for long johns)?"

I ordered the Comfortrel by Wickers. They are midweights for only $13.95. I haven't got them in yet but I'm expecting them today or tomorrow latest. I plan on using some nylon based pants over them for extra warmth if needed, maybe bring some fleece ones for the early part of the trip then send them home.

ga>me>ak
04-09-2003, 12:47
Thanks for the input. I've mainly done summer trips and not real knowledgable for the winter gear,but I'm learning. I would like to be warm for the thru next Feb. By the way, they were cheap enough so I bought both, from Wickers:) After all, it's only money right, what better way to get rid of it than on camp/hiking gear. Unless you use it to actually do a trip.....