PDA

View Full Version : Like to Bike?...

Nate
08-18-2006, 20:38
I like to hike but recently I realized biking is fun too, but I need a new bike. I need something light weight that I can ride on campus and to my job but I also need something I can take on trails. I'm willing to spend up to about $400. I've been looking at Giant Bikes and some Trek bikes but do any of you guys have any suggestions on my upcoming expense.
NATE:cool:

reh1966
08-18-2006, 20:51
Nate,
I also like biking and currently ride a Trek 2200. Although strictly a road bike I also have a Specialized Mountain Bike. I found that the Mountain bike primarily gathers dust and needs repaired at the moment (although it has been a good ride). Since I have been out of the Mountain bike scene so long I would suggest looking at your LBS. I know you could check with Mountain sports (Bristol) or the Ski House (Abingdon). Good luck.

neo
08-18-2006, 21:30
i love cycling.i own a giant hybrid.a trek mountain bike and a classic ralley grand prix road bike,i road in the "tour de cure"this year for the american diabetes association,i love riding at shelby bottoms green way servals time a week,i plan on riding the natchez trace parkway when i finish section hiking the AT in a couple of years:cool: neo

Tinker
08-19-2006, 01:53
I've been a bike mechanic for over 20 years.

In times past, different brands really were different.

Now, they're practically all made in a handful of factories in China.

Often they are the same bike with different paint and decals, one saying Raleigh, another saying Diamondback.

Buy from a reputable dealer, not a department store (even if they offer the same models).

The mechanic makes the bike, not the Chinese factory.

Bearings come too tight or too loose, wheels out of round with spokes too tight or too loose, cables come (almost without exception) ungreased, you get the idea - if a mechanic in the USA doesn't catch the problem and fix it before you ride out the door, you are certain to have issues with your new bike.

fiddlehead
08-19-2006, 05:43
I put 7,000 kms on my Honda Wave 100cc this year and almost 2,000 on my 125cc. They each get around 200 mpg Lots of fun!

Trail Gator
08-19-2006, 10:42
Nate,
Do your research online, then visit local pawn shops. My brother has picked up high end bikes-cheap!-at pawn shops. He lives in a larger city which helps. If you don't take that route, follow Tinker's advice and visit your local bike dealer. They are knowledgeable and will set you up.
Good Luck! Gator from FL (happy biker for 10+ years)

StarLyte
08-19-2006, 11:42
I like to hike but recently I realized biking is fun too, but I need a new bike. I need something light weight that I can ride on campus and to my job but I also need something I can take on trails. I'm willing to spend up to about $400. I've been looking at Giant Bikes and some Trek bikes but do any of you guys have any suggestions on my upcoming expense.

I bike ride almost every day.

I don't know anything about brand names, the best bikes out there, etc. but I can tell you this: make absolutely sure you test ride the bike you're going to buy. Don't know how you can do that, but try.

I also know this......if you want speed, buy something lightweight with narrow tires. If you want something rough and HEAVY, buy a mountain bike.

I've had both. I like the lightweight and speed. I love to go fast--with the mountain bike I couldn't do that, it took so much work too. It makes a big difference.

Have fun.

firemountain
08-19-2006, 17:25
I love cycling and work as a tech (five years experience), and have been mountain biking for 13 years and road cycling for six. I would reccomend either a mountain bike in the $350 price range (such as Specialized Hardrock Sport) which would leave money for other essentials like helmet, spare tube, pump, waterbottle, etc. Padded cycling shorts are also very comfortable. The other style of bike that may work for you would be a road bike with flat handlebars. It would have larger wheels, and narrower tires for faster speeds on road. Something like the Kona Dew for $399 is an example. It is getting towards the end of the season and many shops are having sales. Explain to the sales person what you would like to do, and test ride. The proper size is very important. Developing a good relationship with a local shop is very good and can help you out in the future with any mechanical problems. In conclusion always remember: Mechanics can be bribed with good beer.

Ewker
08-19-2006, 19:23
yep, I have a road and mountain bike. Unfortunately I don't get out enough on them

rainmaker
08-19-2006, 22:07
I've got a Schwinn Mesa mountain bike which I rarely use and a Litespeed road bike which I ride at least three times a week. I average about one hundred miles a week. That is about to cease as Madame and I get ready to head out on our annual section hike. As for advice, either get fitted or read up before you buy anything. My last bike was a Trek 2200 carbon/aluminum frame bike with Campy components. I paid $400 for it and loved it. Why did I change, why to own a new bike made out of titanium of course. Funny though, my average speed over 30 or 50 miles is no faster than my old Trek. Just get a bike that fits and ride, but be very careful out there.

Lone Wolf
08-20-2006, 12:19
Come to Damascus. There are 4 outfitters that sell all kinds of mtn. bikes. Giant, Jamis, Trek, Specialized, Cannondale, etc., etc. They all sell used rental bikes at the end of the season in your price range.

Toolshed
08-20-2006, 12:19
I picked up a Trek FX Model 7700 about 5 years ago after a generation or Road Bikes and Mountain bikes. It seems to offer me the best of both worlds, but is much better than the standard hybrid. You could find one on EBay or my other place to go www.bikeforums.net.
Also Google Trek FX series for a lot of info.

What I like is for commuting, I put 700/35MM tires on and for harder road riding I can switch out to 28MM and if I do some "light" mtn biking, I can put a lighter 700 series mtn bike tire on, but the 35's are usually good enough.

The lower models aren't too expensive and I agree save money for a good lock, and additional gear/accouterments you'll need

Nate
08-25-2006, 23:34
Thanks guys I finally made a choice on a bike. I ordered a Trek 4300 mountain bike. I love it and I can't wait till I recieve it next week.

Peaks
08-26-2006, 08:12
Thanks guys I finally made a choice on a bike. I ordered a Trek 4300 mountain bike. I love it and I can't wait till I recieve it next week.

How do you know you love your new bike until you have used it for a while?