PDA

View Full Version : Packs?

Rouen
08-19-2006, 09:33
just wondering what kind of dog packs you all have?
I dont have real packs for my mutts but have fitted them with cheap wal-mart type packs to make sure they are use to and comfortable with the sensation.

Chomp09
08-19-2006, 10:57
My midsize lab wears a 'wolf pack' brand pack, I would definitely reccomend checking them out: www.wolfpacks.com/ (http://www.wolfpacks.com/).

Essentially saddlebags for a dog, the pack has two straps, one around his midsection, another across his chest. Unlike some other packs I have tried on him, it fits really well and doesn't impede his natural body movement.

Although the brand name escapes me now (I think it was from Planet Dog or something...), one of the first packs I purchased made it very difficult for him to climb the stairs inmy house, let alone jump over rocks or downed trees, or climb in general...

Rouen
08-19-2006, 15:59
anyone use the kelty chuck wagon? I can't seem to find a picture that shows how it rides on a dog.

Rain
08-19-2006, 19:50
Rouen, the Kelty has pros and cons just like all the packs out there. One thing I really like about this pack is its ability to expand and shrink according to the current load. Keeping everything as close to a dog's center as possible cuts back on many problems like balancing and getting caught on obstacles. Plus, the curved back design allows freedom of movement with rubbing over the elbows (many good packs fall too far forward and rub this area raw).

A major drawback in my opinion is its fit on my dog. It doesn't stand up to many of the other dog packs in this regard. The strap system is too simple (yes, I said it) and HAS caused problems with Loki already. Even with a proper fitting, it has a tendency of falling forward too far up the neck. This is dangerous when Loki comes to a stop goin' downhill, he overbalances and tips forward (downhill!). But hey, this could just be another of my dog's many quirks.

I highly recommend the Ruffwear Palisade 2 dog pack (though the Ruffwear Approach pack is good too). I'd give this one a 9 out of 10.

Rouen
08-19-2006, 20:43
I've been looking at 3 different makes, palisades, mountainsmith and chuckwagon, how are the compression straps on the palisades? and/or mountainsmith?

frieden
08-20-2006, 22:46
Ed uses an Outward Hound pack. Once I got the right size on him, it worked pretty well. We haven't tested it with long distance hiking yet, though.

Phreak
08-22-2006, 09:50
I've been looking at 3 different makes, palisades, mountainsmith and chuckwagon, how are the compression straps on the palisades? and/or mountainsmith?

Compression straps on the mountainsmith are great. This is the pack I now use for both of my dogs.

LuTotten
08-25-2006, 09:39
I use a Kelty chuckwagon for mine, but she is a small dog (20#) and it was by far the best fit on her. Not that there are many options in that size anyway.

Rouen
08-25-2006, 10:02
my dogs are on the small side, 20lbs and 30lbs, I worry that some of the packs might be too big for them but they are very well built.

LuTotten do you have the same problem the Rain had with the chuckwagon?(it sliding forward on the dog)

LuTotten
08-26-2006, 09:55
Rouen, I have never noticed it sliding forward on my dog. She has never had sores from it either so I'm going to say that in the chance it does it is minimal. Might just be the difference in the shape of the dog too. What kind of dog are you putting it on?

Rouen
08-26-2006, 11:02
LuTotten
my male is shaped like a jack russel with a good tuck behind the ribs and a lean streamline chest, my female is a little more round and not as much of a tuck, they are both mutts.

does your dog normally develope sores?
I'm looking at getting a mountainsmith for my male as he normally developes sores from straps rubbing against his sternum, if he has issues with it I can easily doctor it by moving the strap down about an inch, my female doesn't seem to have the problem.

LuTotten
08-28-2006, 09:38
Rouen, My dog ussually does not develop sores. The chuckwagon has a little triangle shaped pad which should prevent the rubbing on his sternum, it also has pads that go around the ribs to keep that strap from rubbing. She is actually pretty close to the shape of a jack russell as well so he might do ok with one of the kelty packs.

SteveJ
08-29-2006, 00:00
I have a relatively cheap Outdoor Products pack that I bought for Phoebe as a starter pack that we just continue to use.... I think most of the folks at the yahoo traildog group seem to use the Wolfpack.....

Bblue
08-29-2006, 09:16
I use Ruffwear Packs (http://www.wooska.com/rfpack.aspx). They have the best harness system IMO. They built the harness for use in Search and Rescue. Dog handlers benefit from the ability to lift dogs in and out of crevasses and assist their four-legged co-workers into chair lifts and helicopters with the low profile lifting handle. Very comfortable for the dog.

They took this harness and attached a pack to it. Two models actually. I like the Approach II since it's simpler. Comes in XXS to L and costs $36-$54. Having the suitcase-like handle on your dog is kind of fun.

Uncle Silly
09-03-2006, 04:59
I used a Granite Gear pack for Katy at the start of our hike last year, but the first time it got wet she started developing sores. I replaced it with Kelty's Chuckwagon and had no further problems. The Kelty did have a tendency to slide off (forwards) on steep downhills, but Katy's a good mountain dog and this didn't impede her movement. In the worst case, I'd have to climb back up the trail a bit to retrieve the pack, but that only happened once or twice before I figured out how to prevent it.