PDA

View Full Version : bascom lodge

k-n
08-19-2006, 18:29
dogs allowed?

Cheesewhiz
08-19-2006, 19:34
nope there is a big sign on the door that says leave dogs outside. this is the lodge on Mt graylock

veteran
08-20-2006, 10:45
Stay at the Thunderbolt Shelter They don’t tell you about a nearby shelter that is supposed to be used in an emergency only, stay anyway. Located north of the monument at the north corner of the summit parking lot.

Mt. Greylock Summit Map (http://www.mass.gov/dcr/parks/trails/Mt.Grey-Summer.gif)

k-n
08-20-2006, 16:12
thanx for the tip

Jack Tarlin
08-20-2006, 16:16
It is against the law to overnight in Thunderbolt Shelter, and they now patrol it. Staying there is not a very good idea.

Tramper Al
08-21-2006, 11:16
. . . nearby shelter that is supposed to be used in an emergency only, stay anyway.
Wow, that's great advice.

RITBlake
08-21-2006, 11:43
It is against the law to overnight in Thunderbolt Shelter, and they now patrol it. Staying there is not a very good idea.

It's true, friends of ours got rousted from there some time after midnight

Outlaw
08-21-2006, 12:07
I've hiked Greylock many times. After a hot meal in Bascom Lodge, assuming it is still light out, there is a lean-to on the northeast side of the the monument, (maybe 1 -1.5 miles from the summit) which is on just off the Bellows Pipe Trail. Here is a website map of Greylock. http://www.mass.gov/dcr/parks/trails/Mt.Grey-Summer.gif

Blue Jay
08-21-2006, 12:15
For a few bucks they used to let thrus stay in a garage near the lodge. Some drunk morons put an end to that last year. There are a few stealth sites, here and there, way before the shelter to the north which is .5 off the trail. They are not hard to spot, but no water. Fill up behind at the spout behind the lodge.

bascomgrillmaster
08-22-2006, 23:17
A south bounder said They where turned down ,and told to move on south.Some time last month?Any one know why?

Blue Jay
08-23-2006, 12:18
A south bounder said They where turned down ,and told to move on south.Some time last month?Any one know why?

Bascom is often full. Since it is the highest Mt. in Mass., there is food and shelter there, and you can drive up, it's a wonder hikers can get in there at all.

Blue Jay
08-23-2006, 12:22
My last post was not a complaint. I have always been treated very well there, through all of the various organizations that have managed it. This is the nearest AT mountain to my home and I've been climbed it hundreds of times.