PDA

View Full Version : Doggone Doubts

Rain
08-19-2006, 21:26
How does one judge whether or not a dog is capable and willing to do a long distance hike? Many factors come into play. But I've narrowed mine down to a single thought.

If there is any doubt, even a shadow of a doubt, concerning your dog's health and general well-being -- Leave them at home, with family and friends.

I've spent the last couple of weeks stressing over this. Its why I haven't contribitued to any forums lately. As much as I enjoy this site and most of its members, I just haven't had the heart.

Loki has developed a limp in his rear-right leg. It's been worsening as the days go by. His big day at the Vets office revealed nothing but what it isn't. They ruled out Hip Dysplasia, Arthritis, ACL injury, Lyme disease, foot pad injuries, and so many more... The best my Vet could do for us was give us a number to an animal orthopedist. Some might say not to worry overly much, which I can understand to a point, but this is too much. My brother tried lightening the mood, joking that Loki may just be strutting... until one of my Tevas came to an abrupt stop to the back of his head. Even though I appreciate his attempts, it doesn't change the reality of the situation. Loki is becoming lame in one of his legs and I can't in my right mind bring him on a thruhike. His limp is noticable to everyone who looks at him moving. He becomes a three-legged dog completely when going down stairs.

I love him, I really do. I'll be using a good portion of my savings to get him help and therapy for it. But his '07 hike is cancelled at this point.

My hope is that others will be sure of their dog's health and capability of hiking the Trail before and during their trek. I've seen dogs literally driven into the ground, leaving the Trail with injuries that were preventable (worse...dogs forced to continue hiking through injuries). I've wanted to cause bodily harm on these handlers, I admit it. Take your dog hiking, watch them, be sure its right for them.

Please tell me that wasn't anti-dog? Should I kick myself? Oh well.
Now if you will excuse me, I've gotta go deal with this developement.

SGT Rock
08-19-2006, 22:59
No you are not anti-dog. Anyone that would think so is stretching that description.

Good testament about dog health in my opinion. It might be a good idea to also talk about how much training and how long you and Loki have been together before you set out to hike the trail as a thru-hike. And maybe talk about Loki's load, size, and breed. I think lots of people assume they have enough knowledge about how well their pet can handle this sort of thing based on a few weekend hikes and day hiking without having any real frame of reference how hard it can really be on an animal. I too have seen too many animals pushed too hard by people oblivious to the obvious pain the dog is in - and I am not even accustomed to that animal and can see it. Overloaded packs, high human mileage, and poor rest and recovery for an dog are all not good.

Dogs ain't pack animals, they rest a lot during the day if you watch them, and most of them are not mile slaves that humans turn into long distance hiking. A dog that can handle all that is a rare one.

Thanks for posting as a veteran hiker that tried it with a dog. Hopefully it will make a good warning to others for someone that was obviously trying to do it right to testify as to how truly hard it can be. No one wants to mess up their dog for life.

Rain
08-20-2006, 00:10
SGT Rock, thank you.

Rouen
08-20-2006, 10:47
I can understand where both of you are coming from, I've had to leave my dogs home due to simple pad injuries that alot of people might overlook.
sure do hope you are able to find out whats going on with Loki.:o

the goat
08-20-2006, 21:33
if you have serious doubts, leave the dog w/ family and friends. you will be thankful, as will he or she. best of luck!

Rain
08-20-2006, 22:14
More people will be taking a look at him later this week. I'm wishing that all goes well with him as well. It has already been decided that I will leave him here. My family has fallen for him, just like I did, and would love to take him while I'm gone. Thanks, guys! :D

frieden
08-20-2006, 22:43
Rain, I'm so sorry to hear about Loki. Our best wishes go with you, and hope you find the problem soon.

I don't think that people who are planning a thru hike with their dog can plan the same way, or hike the same way, as single people. We are going out to enjoy the trail, and cherish eachother's company. We are not out there to count mileage or states. Does it really matter what we are doing with our dog, as long as we are with him/her?

You know Loki better than anyone, including the vets. If you think something is wrong with him, something is wrong with him. You are trusting your instincts, and caring about what is best for Loki. I can't see anything anti-dog in that.

Hang in there. You and Loki are in our thoughts and prayers. Keep us up to date on what is going on, ok?

Rain
08-20-2006, 22:53
Frieden :D, thanks. I'll post his diagnosis when I get one. Even IF there isn't something physically wrong with him (though in my mind there has to be), he still isn't walking right and wouldn't make it out there because of that alone. Favoring one leg would put added strain on the other(s) and then more injury would occur. I'll still be thruhiking next year, just need to make some adjustments in planning.

Smile
08-21-2006, 07:45
If there is any doubt, even a shadow of a doubt, concerning your dog's health and general well-being -- Leave them at home, with family and friends.

Sounds to me like you have it figured out ;-)

FatMan
08-21-2006, 17:09
Taking a dog on the trail is not an easy endeavour. I equate it to taking a young child along. In either situation you are accountable for the safety, health, and well being of someone who is simply unable to take care of themselves and who is more likely to get into trouble than stay out of it.

Regarding injury questions, just ask yourself if you would take your young son along if he was limping. Of course you wouldn't, so don't take the dog. As a rule anyone planning a 2007 should already know whether their dog is ready regarding physical and mental issues. If the dog has not completed multiple section hikes with extended time in the woods successfully the dog is not ready. It is that simple.

I would never take my Cooper on a thru hike as I think it would overwhelm both of us. My limit with him is about 3 weeks. When I take him on a section hike I always have a couple of exit options for him planned along the way. Certainly you need to do the same when planning a thru. If you truly know your dog it is not hard to tell when they are not having fun anymore.

I hope Loki just has a minor sprain or muscle pull and gets well soon. Just because he is limping today doesn't mean he will not be 100% by the time you begin. But if not 100% leave him at home.

mingo
08-21-2006, 18:25
most dogs aren't made to walk long distances. maybe a beagle or some other breed that's built for endurance, but that's it. the rest of them like to sleep a lot

frieden
08-22-2006, 09:57
most dogs aren't made to walk long distances.

That's because people keep breeding these doggone purse dogs! Next thing you know, they'll make hat pet beds, so you can wear your dog as an accessory. <steam letting> I just see so many of these purse dogs around here, treated by their owners as a fashion statement, instead of a living being. Grrrrr. Sorry, a little OT venting. :o

The type of breed is a good starting point. Herding dogs seem to be good. Look for breeds that were used to drive herds long distances. It also helps to not drive your dog. Dogs are smart, and semi-starvation with high mileage is not. Your dog will let you know that you are being an idiot. The problem is that you can't flip open your map, and say to your dog, "Yes, I know that pushing through isn't smart, but if we can reach such-and-such shelter today, then we have an easy hike into so-and-so town tomorrow. See?" The dog will just look at you like, "That's nice. Now, put the tent up over there, and feed me my dinner."

Rouen
08-22-2006, 10:06
That's because people keep breeding these doggone purse dogs! Next thing you know, they'll make hat pet beds, so you can wear your dog as an accessory. <steam letting> I just see so many of these purse dogs around here, treated by their owners as a fashion statement, instead of a living being. Grrrrr. Sorry, a little OT venting. :o "

I think the only thing worse is people using dogs as yard ornaments. :mad:

SGT Rock
08-22-2006, 10:10
Well not even all breeds that are not toys are not going to be good long distance hikers. My dog is a Shepard mix and was about 45 pounds back then, hardly a pocket book dog.

frieden
08-22-2006, 10:14
Yeah, my sister breeds Belgian Malinois, mostly for police and search and rescue. As a breed, they are excellent working dogs. She has one female that works only when she wants to, but is an excellent mom. She comes from champion working lines, but she just doesn't have the drive. Every dog is different.