PDA

View Full Version : Which tent...Tall version!

humunuku
08-19-2006, 22:10
I need a new tent, and I want it to be pretty light, but I'm also 6'3", does any tallish people have any thoughts on: Big Agnes SL1, Tarptent Rainbow, Lunar Solo, and MSR Hubba (if the other three won't fit me).

Thanks for any info (I need to decide which tent asap)

humunuku

Big Dawg
08-19-2006, 22:23
I am 6'5" and have the Tarptent Double Rainbow. It's awesome!! Finally I have a tent that fits my big a$$. LOL. The regular Rainbow is the same length but not as wide. I don't mind the extra 1/2 lb for more width. Gives me room to spread out, and still only 2 1/2 lbs. Bravo Henry Shires!!!

opqdan
08-21-2006, 11:17
While I have not purchased it yet, my quest for a tall-fitting (I'm 6'7"), lightweight tent, has also lead me to the tarptent double rainbow (double cause it is for my fiancee and I).

I can recommend it based on the specs, although I have not seen it in person. It gets glowing reccomendations by everybody I've talked to.

Earl Grey
08-21-2006, 18:57
Im 6'0" and have the Hubba. When I sit straight up in it theres a small amount of room above my head. For someone like you that probaly wouldnt be tall enough.

Frosty
08-22-2006, 00:30
I'm 6'5" 265# and have the Tarptent Squall 2. It is big enough for me to sit up and change clothes in it. I also have the earlier version (single pole, no top crossbar) and it is fine for me also to sleep in, but it is very difficult to change clothes in, so is less useful for cold weather.

I could fit two people in the Squall as long as the other wasn't as big as me.

Touch of Grey
08-22-2006, 06:55
I prefer Hammocks (BTW I'm also 6'3", 260) but also have a ground tent. The Sierra Designs Clip Flashlight. It's not overly roomy but then you only really want it to sleep and for occasional shelter.

TOG

chicote
08-22-2006, 12:37
I'm 6'1" and 195 and have the Double Rainbow. It's freaking awesome for height in side and length. Laying down I have several inches above and below my head and feet. And sitting is awesome. I have never been in a tent (aside from a car camping one) that has this much usable head room. My brother has a Big Agnes SL3 and even that pales in comparison to the Rainbow for head room.

MedicineMan
08-22-2006, 12:45
though I'm only 6'1",,,room to swim in the DR...spent 5 nights in it last week on the Rae Lakes Loop...2.5 pounds, room for two or one with a ton of gear, double vestibule, double entrance, stake down or free standing....what else could you ask for in a tent....I'm telling anyone who will listen that H.Shires is a GENIUS of design....first tent i've seen that displaces the Akto in all but winter use.
THE ONLY THING THAT COULD IMPROVE THIS TENT IS IF IT WERE A HAMMOCK :)

humunuku
08-22-2006, 18:15
thanks y'all - ordered a double rainbow last night

chicote
08-23-2006, 10:40
Remember you have to seam seal it before you take it out on any lengthly trip. There is a great thread on the seam sealing procedures here (http://www.practicalbackpacking.com/forums/showthread.php?p=8357#post8357)

Basically spend the time and effort to seal it twice and do it right. Then you should be water free in your super light tent. Congrats!!

Big Dawg
08-23-2006, 22:14

Awesome!! You'll love it!

MedicineMan
08-23-2006, 22:19
did it the day after i got off the trail in PA and before the flight to CA...1 inch foam brush,,,,mix mineral spirits with GE Silicone II until oil like consistency then simply paint the seams---all of them---i painted them inside and out