PDA

View Full Version : Denatured Alcohol Storage

ShakeyLeggs
08-20-2006, 00:46
With the winter months coming up and having some alcohol left over I was wondering if there are any problems storing my alcohol over the winter. Anyone have any input on storing denatured alcohol.

dla
08-20-2006, 01:57
With the winter months coming up and having some alcohol left over I was wondering if there are any problems storing my alcohol over the winter. Anyone have any input on storing denatured alcohol.

No problems storing it - it is pretty stable. Just don't store it in an aluminium fuel bottle.

SGT Rock
08-20-2006, 02:01
I just keep it in a plastic bottle.

jlb2012
08-20-2006, 08:36
Unlike white gas the only thing that happens with alcohol is that it tends to accumulate a bit of water the older it gets - basically it pulls the water out of the air. A good tight plastic container is all you need to store alcohol - avoid aluminum containers. Steel cans are OK.

ShakeyLeggs
08-20-2006, 11:16
Thanks for the info. I usually don't have any left over but this year I bought way too much. I still have a full can I haven't opened yet and about a half pint in my bottle. But the half pint will be used up. Again thanks for the advice.

Daddy Longlegs
08-20-2006, 12:01
I always pour back my left over fuel into the original container but I am wondering what happens if you leave it in a aluminum fuel bottle?

SGT Rock
08-20-2006, 12:29
Corrosion.

jlb2012
08-20-2006, 19:24
yes corrosion especially if a little salt has been added to the alcohol to make the flame visible

DGrav
08-21-2006, 13:49
I am new to using alcohol stoves so this may be a silly question.

Would there be any problems storing my Pepsi can stove in my cook pot after I use it? Is the resedue left over after burning the alcohol toxic?

I want to make sure that I am not poisoning myself slowly!

Thanks,

-Don

jlb2012
08-21-2006, 14:00
IMO - no problem storing the stove in the pot - AFAIK all the compounds used to denature the alcohol evaporate/burn completely - but take my opinion for what it is worth - what do I know I'm no Chem Eng.

caro
08-22-2006, 18:50
fondue, this is a wonderful treat year round and your can use your fuel. If there is a special someone in your life, when you make fondue he/she will think you think the world of them.

hammock engineer
08-22-2006, 19:19

Would there be any problems storing my Pepsi can stove in my cook pot after I use it? Is the resedue left over after burning the alcohol toxic?

Thanks,

-Don

I have been thinking the same thing. I don't see a problem either. I am thinking about making a small nylon bag to put it in. That would also make it cleaner if I wanted to put it in my pocket to warm up before using.

Someone talked about on another thread putting some alcohol in a small container and in their pocket to warm up before using on cold days. Anyone else do this? If so what is a good container to use?

Roland
08-22-2006, 20:43
~~~
Someone talked about on another thread putting some alcohol in a small container and in their pocket to warm up before using on cold days. Anyone else do this? If so what is a good container to use?
I recycled a 4 oz Camp Soap bottle. It has a flip-spout, like those found on lighter fluid cans. This makes it easy to fill the stove, without spilling any fuel.

The plastic container is unbreakable, and could easily fit in a pocket. It has never leaked. I store it in my pot, and it provides ample fuel for a weekend excusion. For longer outings, I have a recycled plastic flask; a suggestion I read on WB. The shape of the bottle allows it to fit nicely in the side pocket of my pack.

rsmout
11-19-2010, 10:32
Okay, so aluminum is out (I just bought an MSR canister made of - aluminum!). I've seen elsewhere that alcohol will eventually rot plastic. Is there something else that can be used to carry or store alcohol in?

Rick500
11-19-2010, 10:45
I carried fuel (HEET) in a plastic Coke bottle on my last hike, and found that even with the lid tightened down (but not overtightened), there was some leakage.

I wonder if that was due to it being jostled and squeezed while it was in the outer pocket of my pack, or if it would still happen sitting still (i.e., in the garage on a shelf over the winter).

Fiddleback
11-19-2010, 10:51
If the alcohol reacts to plastic it may be certain types of plastic and/or over the very long term. I've kept denatured alcohol in contact lens solution bottles for a year or two with no hint of the plastic breaking down or a change in the alky. Although it's somewhat different, virtually all the isopropyl alky I've seen sold comes in plastic bottles. If you're concerned, experiement with a small amount. Contact lens solution bottles are great...they're nearly indestructable, don't leak and have fine control, removable nozzles. And free.:) Sizes range from 1/3 - 12oz.

FB

couscous
11-19-2010, 10:54
I've been using mouthwash bottles for the past 10 years for both long and short-term storage. They come in many sizes .. are designed to hold alcohol .. I can see the liquid levels .. and they are basically free since they would be going in the recycle bin.

Odd Man Out
11-19-2010, 12:53
I'm having a hard time finding any good reason why aluminum containers would be a problem. But as above, I also don't see why it would be necessary. Plastic bottles are fine. If you are really worried, use glass. Unlike metals and plastics, there will be no metal oxide contamination, no reactions with the container, and no permeability to oxygen or water.

rsmout
11-19-2010, 13:58
Thanks, folks.

I'm going to use a Primus bottle, which seems to have a coating on the inside, and see if anything changes or goop appears in my alcohol stove. The MSR bottle is straight aluminum. The contact lens solution bottle is a good idea; thick walls. The one thing I do know is that a metal bottle won't leak or break, and if aluminum does corrode it will be noticeable. Yep, it weighs more, but that's the cost of insurance. Denatured is sold in metal cans (steel) anyway, so it can't be that corrosive. I'll let everyone know what happens - going on the C&O Canal tomorrow for a thru-hike.

If anyone saw a Primus or MSR canister dissolve from denatured, please let me know.

Thanks again.

brooklynkayak
11-19-2010, 20:10
Soda bottles are the best. They are durable, seal tight and don't react with the small amount of water in alcohol. Metal containers are expensive, less durable and can react with the small amount of water in alcohol.
I learned the hard way about aluminum bottles:-)

leaftye
11-19-2010, 20:18

Thanks,

-Don

If it's just residue fuel, I wouldn't worry. It should completely evaporate.

Now soot...
I wonder if the soot has anything bad in it. If it's just carbon, then no worries. It wouldn't be such a concern if it was known that the alcohol contains nothing more than alcohol and water, but unfortunately other components are sometimes found. I think that rubbing alcohol and drinking alcohol would have best chance of not having toxic ingredients.

I've been putting my stove in a plastic bag and then into the pot.

Soda bottles are the best. They are durable, seal tight and don't react with the small amount of water in alcohol. Metal containers are expensive, less durable and can react with the small amount of water in alcohol.
I learned the hard way about aluminum bottles:-)

I agree. They're even better with the Packafeather cap. It makes pouring and recovering leftover fuel a bit easier.

Skidsteer
11-19-2010, 20:40
I carried fuel (HEET) in a plastic Coke bottle on my last hike, and found that even with the lid tightened down (but not overtightened), there was some leakage.

I wonder if that was due to it being jostled and squeezed while it was in the outer pocket of my pack, or if it would still happen sitting still (i.e., in the garage on a shelf over the winter).

My guess is that the bottle top was one of the newer types that don't have a true gasket in them. The cap is formed, like most water bottles, with an interior lip designed to fit tightly over the bottle top. They work fine with water or soda but almost universally leak when filled with denat.

Try it again with a cap that has a gasket. I have stored fuel in soda bottles for over a year with no leaks whatsoever and no apparent degradation of the plastic.

Okay, so aluminum is out (I just bought an MSR canister made of - aluminum!). I've seen elsewhere that alcohol will eventually rot plastic. Is there something else that can be used to carry or store alcohol in?

Thanks, folks.

I'm going to use a Primus bottle, which seems to have a coating on the inside, and see if anything changes or goop appears in my alcohol stove. The MSR bottle is straight aluminum. The contact lens solution bottle is a good idea; thick walls. The one thing I do know is that a metal bottle won't leak or break, and if aluminum does corrode it will be noticeable. Yep, it weighs more, but that's the cost of insurance. Denatured is sold in metal cans (steel) anyway, so it can't be that corrosive. I'll let everyone know what happens - going on the C&O Canal tomorrow for a thru-hike.

If anyone saw a Primus or MSR canister dissolve from denatured, please let me know.

Thanks again.

Most aluminum bottles manufactured for food grade already have a coating and it is easy to find a cheaper alternative to the Primus. Look at Venom energy drinks (http://t3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQZF9MugePYW5CFYenP98Es5Wjf9Xegm Dit4v3T3sCljZqGeNcL) and Caribou Coffee (http://t2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSc45tGEQlnijY_Q4WC38oNKxH-0msKpLPuLrNQGry2snvTeno5ZQ) cans.

LIhikers
11-20-2010, 00:06
I've been using mouthwash bottles for the past 10 years for both long and short-term storage. They come in many sizes .. are designed to hold alcohol .. I can see the liquid levels .. and they are basically free since they would be going in the recycle bin.

Me too. These mouthwash bottles are very different in shape from my water bottles so I don't worry about getting them mixed up, even in the dark.

Fiddleback
11-21-2010, 10:15
I'm having a hard time finding any good reason why aluminum containers would be a problem.

Alcohol and aluminum react eventually causing a precipitate in the fuel stored in the bottle. At one time, MSR stated their aluminum fuel bottles were for petroleum-based fuels only. I don't know if that notice is still posted or if their bottles have been changed...

FB

QiWiz
11-21-2010, 17:41
I have been thinking the same thing. I don't see a problem either. I am thinking about making a small nylon bag to put it in. That would also make it cleaner if I wanted to put it in my pocket to warm up before using.

You do not need to warm the stove or alcohol, at least down to zero degrees F. You will need to warm your lighter. Dip a twig in your stove alcohol, light twig, use lit twig to light stove, no worries. Have used alcohol stoves down to 5 below zero; I'm sure you can go even lower.

leaftye
11-21-2010, 18:53
You do not need to warm the stove or alcohol, at least down to zero degrees F. You will need to warm your lighter. Dip a twig in your stove alcohol, light twig, use lit twig to light stove, no worries. Have used alcohol stoves down to 5 below zero; I'm sure you can go even lower.

That depends heavily on the type and quality of the alcohol used. If you're using pure methanol or ethanol, then warming the fuel may be necessary. If you're using 70% propanol, then you definitely need to warm it up. 99% propanol is much friendlier, but I'm not sure how well it works at low temperatures.

Hikes in Rain
11-21-2010, 19:02

Probably. Way back when, I was living in Anchorage. I remember hearing/reading that the Iditerod racers used alcohol stoves. It was well below zero.

OzSwaggie
11-18-2011, 19:57
We just keep it in a clear plastic bottle at home, but carry it on the trail in an aluminium bottle. We'd rather replace the bottle every now and then rather than have the contents leak if the bottle is squashed, punctured etc. So far, no probs with corrosion, but always empty aluminium bottle and dry thoroughly when not using.

Tinker
11-18-2011, 20:13

I want to make sure that I am not poisoning myself slowly! Thanks, Don

As far as I know the residue is not poisonous, but, just for the sake of cleanliness, I put my Supercat stove in a small plastic bag before putting it into my cookpot.