PDA

View Full Version : Winter Clothing for camp?

vaporjourney
08-20-2006, 00:47
I'm currently trying to figure out what clothing I need for winter. This is definitley much trickier that shopping for summer gear. While hiking in April, I'll probably be wearing lightweight polypro bottom and top thermal underwear (haven't purchased yet), with shorts and synthetic (windproof?) tee overtop. Will also have full-zip rain pants, some sort of windstopping hat and gloves.

For camp, I'm not sure how much I should carry. I'd prefer not to be confined to hiding in a sleeping bag like lots do to save weight. I was thinking of taking spare polypro pants/shirt, 200 wt fleece pants, and Patagonia MicroPuff vest. Not sure if this would be warm enough or not. I will be starting on April Fool's Day, and don't want to be shivering at camp every night.

bigcranky
08-20-2006, 15:31
In April in the southern AT I usually hike in shorts and a t-shirt, with a lightweight (3 oz) windshirt, a lightweight fleece hat, and maybe some lightweight gloves. I have homemade wind pants to put on at breaks, and I usually carry a down jacket for breaks and camp. Daytime temps are usually very pleasant.

In camp, I put on dry clothing, usually shorts and a l/s synthetic top, then a medium-weight zip-tee fleece and light long-john bottoms. On top of that I can put my wind pants, rain pants, down jacket, and rain shell, in layers depending on the weather conditions.

In colder weather, from late November through March, I carry powerstretch bottoms for camp, to wear under my wind or rain pants, and in my bag on very cold nights. I also use my down jacket to extend the range of my sleeping bag, so my 30-F bag can be used down into the teens. This makes for a useful system, so instead of burrowing in my bag all evening, I am wearing some of my sleeping insulation around camp. I also carry a warmer hat and warmer gloves for camp.

Hope this helps. You'll get some cold weather on an April 1 start, but it shouldn't be serious winter. (That said, I have been in total blizzard conditions on the last weekend in March, so it pays to be somewhat prepared.)

Jack Tarlin
08-20-2006, 16:01
Whatever you bring, the important things is that you should always make sure you have warm dry stuff for the end of the day, so if you only have one set of thermals/long underwear, resist the temptation to wear them during the day, especially if it's wet. If you feel the cold easily and think you'll be needing to wear these while you hike, then you may indeed have to bring along an extra set. What I usually do is wear them for a short time in the morning if it's really cold, and then change out of them before they get all sweated out. You'll be surprised by how much heat you'll generate after just ten or fifteen minutes of hiking.

I always carry extra large ziplocks or a small office-sized garbage bag liner to keep my dry clothes in, and I line the large compartment of my pack with another one. This insures thaat no matter how awful the weather may be, vital stuff (like clothing and sleeping bag) will stay dry. This is extremely important if you decide to go with a down bag.

Along with a warm hat and gloves, I also pack a very light, very sheer pair of polypro gloves, which are not only quite warm, but allow your fingers much more mobility when doing things like setting up or breaking down camp, rigging a tarp, cooking, packing up, etc. When one is wearing heavy gloves or mitterns, it cuts down on what you can do with your hands.

The Solemates
08-21-2006, 09:55
I'm confused. You talk of hiking in winter, but then say you are starting in April. April ain't winter.

StarLyte
08-21-2006, 10:15
Jack is on it. Make sure you keep dry clothes for evening/camp wear. The weather will be unpredictable. Keep these clothes in a good size ziploc bag-make sure it's sealed properly too.

vaporjourney
08-21-2006, 17:07
i guess you're right...but april is still damn cold up in the mtns..i still consider weather in the 20s/30s winter weather...could be wrong, but its cold. should have just said clothing for the COLD.

Jack Tarlin
08-21-2006, 17:11
No, April ain't winter, but on all of my hikes, I've encountered, cold, wet, frozen weather for at least part of that month. I have been snowed on as late as Mt. Rogers in southwest Virginia on the 22nd of May.

The actual arrival of Spring based on what the calendar tells you does not necessarily indicate the guarantee of "spring" weather or springlike conditions.

The Solemates
08-21-2006, 17:49
I guess my scale is skewed since we started to early. But I agree, you should always be prepared. We've ran into snow in September as far South as the Smokies.

vipahman
08-21-2006, 22:42
Here's my winter setup that's kept me warm and toasty in the camp down to 0 degrees. And I mean Dec/Jan/Feb ;-) blizzard conditions.

Marmot Lithium 0 degree bag - 2 lbs 8oz

==== Clothing
Marmot silkweight top and bottom - 10oz
Banana Republic merino wool turtleneck - 12oz
Patagonia micropuff vest - 6oz (camp only)
??? pants - 26oz (the heaviest component)
Columbia lightweight waterproof shell - 14oz
Merrell Pulse II waterproof boots.

Accessories =====
Black Diamond neck warmer (camp only)
Campmor convertible gloves
Inner liner gloves
??? midweight socks
Outdoor Research balaclava (sleep only)
Campmor hat with ear protection (hiking only).
Smith ski googles (blizzard and sleep only)
Outdoor Research crocodiles gaiters (6+" snow only)

IMHO, the key is to keep your extremities warm. So your hands, feet and scalp are the most important. Winter camping rules.

vipahman
08-21-2006, 22:44
And I should add, that as Jack pointed out, wet and sub-zero conditions don't mix. So condensation and perspiration management are key. Master them on a day trip and you'll be all set to venture out further in the snow.

greentick
08-22-2006, 00:00
Here's my winter setup that's kept me warm and toasty in the camp down to 0 degrees. And I mean Dec/Jan/Feb ;-) blizzard conditions.

Marmot Lithium 0 degree bag - 2 lbs 8oz

==== Clothing
Marmot silkweight top and bottom - 10oz
Banana Republic merino wool turtleneck - 12oz
Patagonia micropuff vest - 6oz (camp only)
??? pants - 26oz (the heaviest component)
Columbia lightweight waterproof shell - 14oz
Merrell Pulse II waterproof boots.

Accessories =====
Black Diamond neck warmer (camp only)
Campmor convertible gloves
Inner liner gloves
??? midweight socks
Outdoor Research balaclava (sleep only)
Campmor hat with ear protection (hiking only).
Smith ski googles (blizzard and sleep only)
Outdoor Research crocodiles gaiters (6+" snow only)

IMHO, the key is to keep your extremities warm. So your hands, feet and scalp are the most important. Winter camping rules.

s***, all ya need is a bowie knife an a light coat of erl...:D

Tipi Walter
08-29-2006, 23:34
Winter is my favorite time to be out and obviously my pack is heaviest on those trips at that time of year. I agree with others that to hike and perspire into your main warmth layers can be a problem and can also be avoided by starting out in the morning underdressed or at least having the discipline to stop after 10 minutes of hiking to shed layers.

Sitting in a winter camp after a long day of backpacking without having a wood fire is a challenge and a good test of your cold weather gear. I've always included a down vest or a down jacket as my top layer and for temps down to 0 or 5 degrees these seem to work. On the other hand, if I was going to live out of a tent permanently in the winter and not have a woodstove of some sort I would go with one of those subzero/Rock and Ice style parkas. They are made for standing around camp and are still light enough to haul.

The funny thing about winter backpacking is that exhaustion, which feels like loose relaxation in the summer, becomes in large part hypothermia in the winter and increases the need for quick access to dry layers. Another consideration is frozen boots and cold feet when hanging out in camp. Camp shoes are nice to have but sometimes only a Nalgene filled with hot water will get the toes back to normal. This in turn eats up your fuel supply hence the need for a heavier pack.

LostInSpace
08-30-2006, 00:13
It is important to keep your torso warm. I've been switching from fleece to down to save weight and bulk. A down vest or down sweater (i.e.. something that can layer under your rain gear) is great to have. Your legs don't need as much insulation. I have 200 wt fleece pants. I think they are too heavy and bulky for a long hike. I prefer silkweight Capalene bottoms, which I carry no matter what the season, with either mid or expedition weight Capalene or Polartec Power Stretch bottoms over the silkweight in the winter.