PDA

View Full Version : Seam seal tent even if manufacturer says not to?

Earl Grey
08-20-2006, 11:02
Should a tent be sealed when its brand new with seam sealer? The manufacturer says this is not necessary but id hate to be stuck in a rainstorm and it be leaking.

hikerjohnd
08-20-2006, 11:15
what manufacturer says not to? If the seams come sealed or taped or whatever, then it is possible it does not need to be done.

Toolshed
08-20-2006, 12:09
As long as you see the heated sealed tape on all the seams for standard PU Coated nylon products, I wouldn't worry about it.

If you have a sil-nylon product, you should take the extra efforts to seal all seams to ensure waterproofness.

Earl Grey
08-20-2006, 12:32
what manufacturer says not to? If the seams come sealed or taped or whatever, then it is possible it does not need to be done.

http://www.msrcorp.com/support/tents.asp#5

Toolshed
08-20-2006, 20:47
http://www.msrcorp.com/support/tents.asp#5
So..... Would you like folks on the board to start guessing or would you prefer to mention specifically, which tent it is you are referring to??

fiddlehead
08-20-2006, 20:57
Just pour water onto your tent, (or pressure from a hose would be more realisic) and see if it leaks. If the manufacturer said that, i would assume it has already been done, or has taped seams. But the water trick will let you know for sure. No sense guessing about getting wet when a simple test will suffice.

TJ aka Teej
08-21-2006, 07:28
Sealing won't do any harm.

Time To Fly 97
08-21-2006, 13:53
Always seal your seams! There is always a surprise monsoon here and there. Don't be forced to squandor a zero day drying your gear after being awake all night watching your tent leak.

"I just don't get it. The tent company said I didn't have to seam seal and now everything is wet. Well... see you guys up the trail sometime...it is supposed to rain today too...I'm going to be here for awhile"

This has never happened to me because I prepare my gear.

Happy hiking!

TTF

Ewker
08-21-2006, 15:21
if he is talking about the Hubba it comes with the seams taped

hiker5
08-21-2006, 16:46
So..... Would you like folks on the board to start guessing or would you prefer to mention specifically, which tent it is you are referring to??

If you read the page that blackmath linked to you will see the question about seam sealing

Do I need to seam seal my tent?

Superior fabrics and construction make MSR tents extremely waterproof. The rainfly and floor are factory seam taped, so seam sealing is not recommended. If any problems develop, seam seal the specific area only. Seam seal the inner, coated shiny side of the area only. Follow the instructions on the seam sealer tube. Use a syringe for accuracy. Allow the seam sealer to dry, then apply baby or talc powder to prevent the seam sealer from sticking to the rest of the tent.

So it sounds to me like blackmath's question was asked in general, and MSR is giving a blanket statement that all of their tents to not require initial seam sealing. No guess of a specific tent is required if I read the post correctly.

1Pint
08-21-2006, 21:03

I emailed this question to MSR this weekend: Does my new Zoid1 need to be seam sealed? Or is it water-proof already?

and the response I got was this:

Your tent is ready to go right out of the bag, no need to seam seal it.
[email protected]

Of course, I plan on setting it up in the backyard and testing before heading out for the weekend, but I was relieved not to have to tackle that chore.

Michele
08-21-2006, 21:42
Well, I own the Hubba and wondered the same thing. I did take my tent out and set it up in a torrential downpour and I stayed totally dry. My instruction manual that came w/it said exactly what that link said. Not recommended, and if leaking does occur, only seam seal the area that is leaking. Not sure if I should seam seal anyways, but am considering it as a backup.

Ewker
08-21-2006, 22:33
I have the Hubba and have used it constantly for 2 yrs. I never seam sealed it and it has not leaked at all..now where is that piece of wood to knock on

Toolshed
08-21-2006, 22:58
If you read the page that blackmath linked to you will see the question about seam sealing

And again Hiker5..... Specifically which tent is he referring to - this is beginning to become comedy routine. I ask because as I stated before in post #3
"As long as you see the heated sealed tape on all the seams for standard PU Coated nylon products, I wouldn't worry about it.
If you have a sil-nylon product, you should take the extra efforts to seal all seams to ensure waterproofness."

It's not rocket science, but if Blackmath cares to mention the specific tent, one can answer more specifically to that product. The MSR ML has a spot that leaks beneath the rear vent, even thought the tent is seam-sealed and MSR wil send you a tube of Sil-nylon seam sealer if you ask them.

If you were to look at a tent from a decade or more ago, you would see that there is no heat sealed tape along any of the seams (on the inside) of the fly but perhaps along the floor of the tent body. Most quality tents came with a tube of seam sealer and that was the first thing you did when you got the tent. The industry standard (except for some cottage industry tarptents) is to seal all seams with heat tape now.
Again, one needs to look at the inside of their tent.