PDA

View Full Version : Vegetarian Hiking Books

norfamericana
08-20-2006, 11:11
Any suggestions on Vegan Hiking Boots (winter/spring)

?

norfamericana
08-20-2006, 11:13
Trail Runners tambien

thanks

SGT Rock
08-20-2006, 12:28
I think they are all vegetarian. Since they are made from wood products anyway. You can eat just about any book you want.

map man
08-20-2006, 12:49
I use vegan friendly footware (no leather) but haven't found the ideal one yet. I first tried the New Balance 851s, a hybrid between a shoe and a boot available only through Cabela's. It developed holes in the sides at the point in the ball of your foot where a natural crease develops from flexing your foot. I and another person I hiked with for two weeks in May had the same problem with that boot.

Next, I wanted to try a lighter trail runner and went with the Dunham Alcatraz. The soles on these just turned out to be too thin and I got bad blisters on the ball of my foot when I hiked in them for a week this summer.

Next I'm going to try the Dunham Waffle Stomper Nimble, as it's fairly light weight and has thicker soles than the Alcatraz. It's been comfortable in street wear and day hikes, but I haven't had a chance to really put it to the test yet.

New Balance makes quite a few trail runner models with no leather, and their web site seems to do a pretty good job at identifying which models have leather and which don't. Another model I have no experience with but has some user buzz and no leather is the Montrail Stratos (I think that's the right model name). I have read in other threads here, though, that it is not very durable.

There is a web site called veganessentials.com and they have shoes they offer that they have researched and found to be vegan friendly. Looking there might be worth a try.

My search continues. Good luck with your's.

Twofiddy
08-26-2006, 00:04
Any suggestions on Vegan Hiking Boots (winter/spring)

?

You have got to be kidding me right??

Diet is 1 thing, but you really think that there is such thing as a VEGAN Hiking Boot?? They make glues and adhesives from animal fat and waste products. They make pigment dyes from some animal fats.

For that matter it is probably much worse for our enviroment to have a fully synthetic plastic foam rubber shoe than it is to have a shoe made of leather or some animal products. Take all the bi-products from those plants that make that nasty stuff and the waste water they produce and water your vegtables with it please.

Everyone is entitled to there own choice. I personally hope that Montrail and Vasque and Merrell and others are not wasting money trying to figure out how to make VEGAN HIKING BOOTS.

If it were not for the nutrients found in animals, Humans would not be the advanced, Thumb equipped species that they are.

eric_plano
08-26-2006, 00:40
No one is going to mention the Blister Sisters or the Marine who is hiking the trail barefoot this year? Not vegan, but to each their own!

lucky luke
08-26-2006, 03:41
hi,
if you mean booTs: GARMONT has vegan boots.

if you mean booKs: avoid leather covers, the rest should be ok.

greets
lucky luke

Roland
08-26-2006, 05:17
hi,
if you mean booTs: GARMONT has vegan boots.

if you mean booKs: avoid leather covers, the rest should be ok.

greets
lucky luke

Good catch, Luke. I suspect they're looking for books. That would make more sense.

Deerleg
08-26-2006, 07:31
I ran into a Vegan hiker in 03 just north of Erwin at a road crossing. His trail name was Numskull. :-? He was disoriented and could not find the trial that was clearly marked on the other side of the road. I offered him all kinds of food, but he would only take peanut butter and some flat bread. I think his diet may have led to his disorientation. If I were to put limitations on my diet I would read lots of books on diet before I took on the AT.

K0OPG
08-26-2006, 13:51
I don't mind vegans at all. When and If I ever become stranded on a high mountain pass and there is nothing to eat but muscle tissue...I can guarantee that when the vegan starves to death from refusal to eat it, his afterlife will have not been wasted.

Don't we have canine teeth also...for ripping and tearing of meat?

Whatever.