PDA

View Full Version : LuxuryLite Low Rise Cot

Daddy Longlegs
08-20-2006, 11:58
Has anyone ever used a LuxuryLite Low Rise Cot? The ultra lite weighs 36 oz which is more then most pads but also less then some long pads.

I am a side/stomach sleeper and when sleeping on a pad I wake a number of times during the night to move around. (wish I could sleep on my back) So this cot may be my answer to sleeping well and would be worth the weight.
http://www.luxurylite.com/cotindex.html

Toolshed
08-20-2006, 12:06
I'll saave my money thanks.....

It's a raintrap if you cannot fit it inside your tent and you leave a foot of it sticking out like the picture on their website.
You'd still need to carry a pad, as there will be cold air underneath the cot in all but the warmest weather.

Frolicking Dinosaurs
08-21-2006, 07:37
I tried this item at Trail Days 2006. It was not comfortable for me at all.

I'd suggest looking at something like the Big Agnes Insulated Air Core pad (http://www.bigagnes.com/str_pads.php?id=ia) - for the same 36 ozs you will have a 25" x 78" surface with both insulation and enough padding to sleep on your side. I have a bunch of metal in my hip and leg and can sleep comfortably on my side with the 20" x 72" model (21 ozs). I even got a metal walking cane under the pad once and didn't notice! Some vendors will tell you not to inflate the pad all the way, but I've found it more comfortable inflated as tight as I can get it. YMMV

Fiddler
08-21-2006, 09:54
I agree with Dinosaur - go with the Big Agnes if you need more padding under you. I guess I'm lucky in the sleeping area, I'm also a side sleeper (sometimes) and I do roll around a lot but I sleep quite well on a 1" pad as long as there isn't a rock or something under me. The cot looks comfortable, but I can imagine what the tent would look like perched on top of it, especially after it was staked down.

StarLyte
08-21-2006, 10:09
DaddyLonglegs, this cot completely turned me off. I did see it at Trail Days.

It might be okay for camping though. Try a few different outfitters and test anything you can there. The larger franchise outfitters (like Dick's) don't have testers so you if you don't live close to a smaller outfitter you may have to travel.

I personally use a Thermarest prolite (short) AND a Z-rest. I must have comfort and warmth at night. I'm a big baby.

Footslogger
08-21-2006, 10:14
At first notion it seems like a cot would be excess baggage on a distance hike. But I got to thinking ...and if you had a single walled silnylon tent without a floor and you didn't carry a sleeping mat the difference in weight would be less than a pound.

Personally I don't need a cot but if I did (for comfort/back reasons) I would give it some thought. Biggest issue would be the size of the collapsed cot in terms of space in your pack.

'Slogger

mrc237
08-21-2006, 10:35
Always thought that someone would come up with a cot that could double as a pack and frame.

hikerjohnd
08-21-2006, 11:12
Always thought that someone would come up with a cot that could double as a pack and frame.

Now there's a good idea ... :-? ... now how can I get rich off of it.

Daddy Longlegs
08-21-2006, 12:27
The thing is that I am currently buying some new gear and rethinking a few things that will probably reduce my over all weight by at least 9 lbs. So I can afford a little heavier pad if it equals a better sleep.

I have not looked at a Big Agnes yet but that may be the ticket that I need (will be going to Nashville next month and I will look at one there). Also I still would like to hear back from anyone using the cot. With the cot though it would have to go inside the tent and it would have to be able to strap on the outside of my pack.

ppereira007
08-22-2006, 00:09
i have it and love it. sure it's different but don't bash it if you have'nt tried it. i don't know:-? it works for me. bruce has a great return policy if your not happy with his product. weights the same as a Therm-a-Rest ProLite 4. used it backpacking on the tahoe rim/pct trail, and used it on a 2 night biking trip. slept like a baby. i have a floorless tt rainbow, but it would have no problem fitting inside or under a floor.