PDA

View Full Version : Any Sierra Designs Lightyear owners?

TwoForty
08-20-2006, 16:52
just brought home a Sierra Designs Lightyear and I immediately set it up in my backyard. It seems the main tent body near the foot in sagging a bit. The floor feels a bit "loose" around the leg area as well. Also, it seems the fly is just a bit small. I had to really crank down the head and foot straps on the fly to make sure the tips of the tent body were covered.

Is this normal? Maybe I staked it out wrong, but no matter how I rearranged the stakes, it seemed the tent body was too loose and the fly had to be cranked down way too tight. It is pretty humid out (you can almost cut the air), so maybe that is why the body sagged.

I may take it back to REI (hour drive) and see if they have another. Maybe this one is out of tolerance. If not, it may got back for an MSR Zoid. I really like the Lightyear though, since I am so tall http://forums.backpacker.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif

dloome
08-20-2006, 17:07
I used to use a Zoid which is nearly an identical design. Mine always sagged a bit. Using a short guyline helped a bit. Mine actually came with one, so I suspect this is not an uncommon problem with this kind of tent.

If the design is the same, try pulling the smaller pole to make the tent more taught and then tension up the webbing strap on the rainfly to keep it in place. This helped quite a bit with mine. Hope that made sense.

TwoForty
08-20-2006, 17:16
I used to use a Zoid which is nearly an identical design. Mine always sagged a bit. Using a short guyline helped a bit. Mine actually came with one, so I suspect this is not an uncommon problem with this kind of tent.

If the design is the same, try pulling the smaller pole to make the tent more taught and then tension up the webbing strap on the rainfly to keep it in place. This helped quite a bit with mine. Hope that made sense.

Makes perfect sense! I ran a tiny guy line from the foot pole to the stake and that helped a bit. The floor is still a bit loose, but I guess that is not a big deal. The sagging roof was my main concern.

I'm still curious if my fly is a bit smaller than it should be or what. I guess it will stratch if it does rain.

RockyTrail
08-21-2006, 11:48
I've used a SD lightyear for about 4 years now and have not had the problem you mention. In fact, on my tent the body is stretched really tight when it's set up and it is the fly that seems to be the "looser" of the two.

Do the plastic hooks that attach to the poles have the plastic "locking" tabs? SD has used these on the Flashlight and Lightyear in the past.
If so, make sure they are turned to the unlocked position so the hooks can slide along the pole to equalize the load between the hooks. After it settles out you can engage the locking tabs but this "feature" is somewhat of a gimmick sometimes. Usually I have to stretch the body really tight just to get the hooks over the hoops so it is surprising to hear of the looseness.

REI stores usually have some velcro floor pads you can use to set up your tent indoors and show them whats happening. If there is a defect I'm sure they will make it right. Sierra Designs makes a great tent and I really like my SD Lightyear especially for heavy weather.

Here is a tip for easy entry to the lightyear: Squat down and fall in butt-first through the doorway, then knock your boots off in the vestibule and spin to the right with feet in the air, works every time!:D

Creek Dancer
08-21-2006, 12:05
I've been using one of these tents for several years. Guy out the side lines of the fly for the best ventilation. The fly does seem small, but it is not designed to touch the ground when it is attached to the tent.

You can tighten up the floor by adjusting the "tip" of the tent, i.e. the end where your head goes. This should be staked out at somewhat of an angle. I found the best way to make the tent tight is to put the stakes in first, starting with the top and the bottom first, then the other stakes, and put the poles in last. Sounds like a lot of work, but it works for me. I think the instructions suggest a similar pattern of set up.

This is a fine tent and I have found that it performs well under various conditions, with the exception of the condensation problem at the foot well. I find the tent really claustraphobic and it has little headroom. I plan on replacing it soon.

TwoForty
08-26-2006, 17:24
I set it up once more and tried for about an hour, but it always sagged a bit. Back to REI it goes. Hopefully they have another there that I can set up. It seems like a nice tent and it fits me great.

If not, I see a Virga II or Rainbow in my future.