PDA

View Full Version : water filtration and purification

frequency
08-20-2006, 19:35
any opinions as to a simple lightweight water filtration/purification system?

general
08-20-2006, 20:14
none. there is no need for water filtration/purification.

StarLyte
08-20-2006, 20:22
Simple lightweight is iodine tabs or boiling your water.

I've only ever used a Sweetwater (http://www.trailspace.com/gear/sweetwater/msr-sweetwater-microfilter/).

SGT Rock
08-20-2006, 23:16
Get Iodine and Vit C and then re-package the contents.

Amigi'sLastStand
08-21-2006, 07:25
Sweetwater filter.
http://www.msrcorp.com/filters/sweet_microfilter.asp

whiteagle
08-24-2006, 21:54
http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/xdpy/sf/Cooking%20and%20Hydration/Water%20Treatment/index.html

There are most of your options for chemical treatments all in one place. I prefer aquamira out most of those. I have yet to use KlearWater though. Sounds interesting.

If you're looking for a filter (which can be nice at times), the best I've found for the weight is a Katadyn Mini. (http://www.katadyn.ch/site/us/home/outdoor_products/our_products/ultrlight_series/mini/) Just be sure to make/get some sort of tube to go from the output to your water carrier. It's hard to hold the filter, pump, and platypus all at the same time.

dloome
08-24-2006, 23:02
Awesome system which I've been using is the Hydrophoton prefilter (1.4 oz, prolitegear.com has it) and Aqua Mira. makes for purified, non-chunky water, but weighs much less than carrying a real filter

River Runner
08-25-2006, 01:36
KlearWater is very convenient - no pre-mixing like Aqua Mira, and only 15 minutes to treat (30 minutes for cloudy water). Works in virtually any temperature water - no need for longer treatment due to temperature.

The down side, loses it's effectiveness quickly if repackaged (within 2-3 days), so it pretty well has to be carried in the original bottle (or perhaps another small brown glass bottle). Still, a full bottle only weighs 3 oz, and will last approximately a week treating all drinking water. (This of course will vary somewhat depending on the individual.)

Footslogger
08-25-2006, 08:43
[quote=River Runner]The down side, loses it's effectiveness quickly if repackaged (within 2-3 days), so it pretty well has to be carried in the original bottle (or perhaps another small brown glass bottle).
=====================================
That's new information for me. I transferred mine from the original bottle to another 30ml brown glass bottle that has a eyedropper built into the screw on top. After transferring the solution I kept it in the refrigerator until I went hiking and placed the remaining solution back in the refrigerator when I got back home. Have not noticed ANY decrease in the yellow color (which the vendor says is the indication of potency) or odor.

Where did you get that 2 - 3 day "loss of effectiveness" information ??

'Slogger

MAD777
08-25-2006, 09:44
A much improved version of Steripen called "Steripen Adventurer" was recently shown at the Outdoor Retailer show. It's half the size of the original version (will fit in palm of a large hand) and weighs 3.6 oz. Uses lithium disk batteries to power ultraviolet light. Instantly (well, 30 seconds or so) treats water for bacteria cysts and virruses! Not on the market yet but scheduled this fall.

I as going to this ASAP from Klearwater. I also use a ULA Amigo Gravity filter at 9.6 oz because I just don't like to chew my water before swallowing it. But, each has their own tollerance in this area and, after treatment, it's not a safety issue, just perference. One could always bring toothpics if one doesn't filter; they are lighter! ;-)

namehere
10-17-2006, 11:20
A much improved version of Steripen called "Steripen Adventurer" was recently shown at the Outdoor Retailer show. It's half the size of the original version (will fit in palm of a large hand) and weighs 3.6 oz. Uses lithium disk batteries to power ultraviolet light. Instantly (well, 30 seconds or so) treats water for bacteria cysts and virruses! Not on the market yet but scheduled this fall.

the steripen adventurer is due to be released on Nov 1st (only REI), and general release on the 16th. there is an optional solar charging case that they are offering as well (but heavy at 7 oz). the number of expected uses is 100-125 per set of lithiums.

highway
10-17-2006, 11:47
any opinions as to a simple lightweight water filtration/purification system?

Why?
It probably doesnt need it!:cool:

Seeker
10-17-2006, 12:58
None, if you are certain of the source.
Aqua Mira if you have doubts.

K-Man
10-17-2006, 13:09
I like polar pure, though it doesn't address the filtration issue. I pack a couple of coffee filters if the water is super grimy.

http://www.campmor.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?memberId=12500226&productId=13879

Pokey2006
10-18-2006, 02:35
I was happy with my system: squeezable water bottle, so all drinking water gets filtered to some extent, then AquaMira for anything that seems real shady.

I disagree that you don't need anything at all. You need something (iodine would work just as well as AquaMira) for those times when you're gathering water from what seems like a pristine source, only to look up and see a privy or a horse trail or a cow pasture directly uphill. Happens quite a bit, sad to say.

Really makes you appreciate the importance of clean water.

Johnny Swank
10-18-2006, 09:37
I used Polar Pur (sort of - didn't use anything for the last 1,000 miles to Georgia) and would carry Aqua-Mira now for the occasional time I treat. I'm not religious about water treatment though. YMMV

The MSR Miox http://www.msrcorp.com/filters/pump_free.asp is another option if you're going to be going through alot of Chlorine Dioxide. i'd be going that route if I were leading trips again and had to treat a few gallons at a time. It'd pay for itself quickly, and has been around long enough to seem reliable. Carry some iodine for backup though.