PDA

View Full Version : Your Favorite Hiking Boots/Sneakers and why

Slim aka Nancy
08-20-2006, 21:04
We need new hiking boots. Bogey likes low-cut sneaker type.
I like the higher boots since I need ankle support.
What are the most popular and most durable boots from your experience?
I do not like to feel the pebbles under my feet. Under 3 lb. is nice too.
Slim

Lilred
08-20-2006, 22:32
i have a pair of Soloman's and love them. They felt like putting on a slipper the first time I tried them on. Haven't caused a blister yet, after about 300 miles.

Kerosene
08-20-2006, 23:04
Take a look at the Garmont Eclipse series, ideally without Gore-Tex. They're not high-tops, but they are very sturdy with a stiff toe rand and weigh about 2.5 lbs.

DrewNC2005
08-20-2006, 23:04
New Balance 907s. I tried almost everything before these and these worked. No blisters, no complaints.

Kaptain Kangaroo
08-20-2006, 23:31
Used Merrel Mesa Ventilator II's for my thru-hike this year. They were fantastic, very comfortable right from the very first mile. few problems with blisters etc. they were stiff enough in the sole to be comfortable over rocks. I also found them to be very durable. Bought three pairs for my hike & found that a pair would last at least 1100 miles. Even after this distance they were still in good condition, the sole only about half worn & no holes or seperation in the upper. Probably could have done another 500 miles but I already had the spare pairs so thought I may as well swap them out.
They were fine for hiking in snow in March & April. Sure my feet got wet as the uppers are mostly mesh but they also dried really quickly, 4 hours of hiking in the sun & I had dry shoes again. Fantastic for all the rain we got through New England.
Great shoes. 2 other guys I hiked with eventually bought some & were also happy with their performance.
Cheers,
Kaptain

SGT Rock
08-20-2006, 23:37
Nike Air Pegasus running shoes.

Edit: forgot the "Why"

They are cheap: I can usually get them at about $40 a pair.

They dry very very fast. Faster than my New Balance Trail runners and way faster than my Merell Stretch Chameleons.

They are super light at 25.5 ounces for a pair. My New Balance are over 32 ounces and my Merell's are even higher.

I have high arches and bad heels. I'm prone to shin splints and plantar faciatis, cushion sole shoes are the way to go to stop that - running shoes are built for different foot types but I rarely see a boot or trail runner talk about the different foot types for boot fitting. Since this shoe works for me well for running it also does the trick for hiking.

They last a good while for running shoes on the trail. One pair made it about 500 miles before I tossed them.

You can loosen them all the way up to fit like slippers in camp - so no need for extra camp shoes.

Only thing I have ever wanted is a little more tread. I slid once in GA during a frog strangler while going downhill. Although with the way mud was caking on the shoes I doubt many different footwear would have faired any better.

Just consider foot type and give running shoes a look when making a decision. Whenever I hear about someone quitting the trail for shin splints I wonder if it has more to do with incorrect footware for foot type than load.

Just Jeff
08-21-2006, 00:05
After trying on several more expensive pairs (every one they had in two stores, I think) I ended up with some HiTecs that were on sale. They just fit better.

They have a leather toe so I can kick some rocks and be ok, they come to the top of my ankle for some support. They're stiff enough that walking on roots and rocks doesn't bother me, but still flexible enough that they're almost like tennis shoes...good balance, IMO. But they're still more like hi-tops than actual boots...they're pretty light. They work for me, anyway.

Remember - lighter pack equals less ankle support needed.

TJ aka Teej
08-21-2006, 07:13
Remember - lighter pack equals less ankle support needed.

So does lighter body weight!
TJ < not as light as he once was

TJ aka Teej
08-21-2006, 07:13
New Balance, because they have wides. I'd like to try other brands, but few offer width choices.

StarLyte
08-21-2006, 07:17
We need new hiking boots. Bogey likes low-cut sneaker type.
I like the higher boots since I need ankle support.
What are the most popular and most durable boots from your experience?
I do not like to feel the pebbles under my feet. Under 3 lb. is nice too.
Slim

Merrills Merrills Merrills.
And Dr. Scholl's high impact insoles :D

DawnTreader
08-21-2006, 10:19
The Merrill Mesa Ventilator II's....The best hiking shoe I've ever worn.. and yes, I've done the montrail thing...

BlackCloud
08-21-2006, 11:28
Sneakers: New Balance makes comfortable shoes that come in a breadth of sizes - esp. wides.

Boots: I have both the Day Hikers & Crestas from L.L.Bean. Previously I loved Merrills and didn't care for Vasque Sundowners b/c they took way too long to break in (well over 100 miles). Though once softened up, Sundowners aren't bad.

L.L.Bean's full grain leather boots needed 0 miles to break in and are less expensive.......

kyhipo
08-21-2006, 11:45
I have had solomans,merrels,nikes which where great out on the pct and HI-techs which I have hiked in couple pair,they usually are pretty good shoes for the cost,I try to stay away from the bulky stuff.ky

Spock
08-21-2006, 20:14
Nike Trail Free 5.0. Feels like nothing you've ever worn. Great protection - you won't feel the rocks. Wear them in town for a few weeks first. You will feel your feet and balance getting stronger, then you won't want to wear anything else on the trail.

rmtjr
08-21-2006, 22:21
Dunham's with Super Feet footbeds. I have Dunham models MOH81BR & MOW616BR. Dunham is the only manufacturer that I've found who sells men's 4E width. I have not found this wide a shoe from Nike, New Balance, and other big mass marketers. (New Balance bought Dunham a couple of years ago.) Oh, I have square feet. Well, OK, almost square. Bob