PDA

View Full Version : Coffee in the morning substitutes.

Earl Grey
08-21-2006, 09:24
Ive never been a coffee drinker but I read that some peoples favorite part of the day is drinking coffee in the shelter. If you dont drink coffee what are some other things you can drink to wake you up the same amount?

Alligator
08-21-2006, 09:41
Jolt chewing gum.

kyhipo
08-21-2006, 09:48
alot of people like tea in the morning.I like to bring both just in case someone like a cup a tea around me!ky

StarLyte
08-21-2006, 09:50
Ive never been a coffee drinker but I read that some peoples favorite part of the day is drinking coffee in the shelter. If you dont drink coffee what are some other things you can drink to wake you up the same amount?

Well now....my favorite topic.

Obviously I am a coffee drinker, note the avatar. That is a 1-1/2 cup aluminum percolater that I recently picked up at a flea market. The stove, an esbit :D It's about 5 years old.

My favorite is Starbucks, and only because Stumpknocker got me drinking it at the PA Ruck (schwang!) last year.

My food sack is always packed and ready go, but the most IMPORTANT thing in it is the Starbucks (breakfast blend) and powdered creamer.

I've been addicted ever since. Some addictions are good things ;) And that's another thread my friends......

otterman
08-21-2006, 10:43
Yerba Mate. A better kick than any old cup of coffee!

Time To Fly 97
08-21-2006, 10:51
Fine Columbian coffee and W&B. 8 )

Happy hiking!

TTF

TDale
08-21-2006, 10:53
"Substitute"? There's no "substitute" for coffee.

That's like asking what do you eat instead of grits.

mrc237
08-21-2006, 11:05
I like everything about coffee (in NY its "kawfee) I like shopping for it I like buying it I like making it I like drinking it I like cleaning up after it. I recently purchased a Jetboil and found the inserts of one of my old pots fit into the JB just fine so having fresh perko in the AM was great but on my last hike I used the freedom press to make perfect freedom roast bold kawfee from Fourbucks. Is there a sustitute for fresh brewed kawfee on the trail maybe freshly opened beer nothing like that morning buzz to get you going.

Alligator
08-21-2006, 11:07
Watch the inexpensive powdered "creamer". The main ingredient is often silicon dioxide, better known as sand.

Lone Wolf
08-21-2006, 11:11
Starbucks?
www.thekidfrombrooklyn.com/video_disp.asp?videoid=1049

StarLyte
08-21-2006, 11:21
Starbucks?
www.thekidfrombrooklyn.com/video_disp.asp?videoid=1049

HA HA
EZ sent that link to me LW :D .

Lone Wolf
08-21-2006, 11:22
Hope I don't get banned for posting it! But it is funny as heck.:eek:

the goat
08-21-2006, 11:23
Starbucks?
www.thekidfrombrooklyn.com/video_disp.asp?videoid=1049 (http://www.thekidfrombrooklyn.com/video_disp.asp?videoid=1049)

hahahaha! that's classic!:D

stumpknocker
08-21-2006, 11:34
I have to agree with TDale on this one. :)

TDale wrote;

"Substitute"? There's no "substitute" for coffee.

There are substitutes for caffeine......but NOT coffee. Gotta have my morning coffee.

StarLyte wrote;

My favorite is Starbucks, and only because Stumpknocker got me drinking it at the PA Ruck (schwang!) last year.

My appologies to you StarLyte....I'm bad!!! :datz

SGT Rock
08-21-2006, 13:44
The substitute for good grits and good coffee in the morning is instant grits and coffee in tea bags for breakfast in the morning.

SGT Rock
08-21-2006, 13:50
Just checked out the link LWolf.

I had to agree. $7 for a cup a coffee and you want a tip?

Footslogger
08-21-2006, 13:52
Starbucks?
www.thekidfrombrooklyn.com/video_disp.asp?videoid=1049 (http://www.thekidfrombrooklyn.com/video_disp.asp?videoid=1049)
================================

There goes our PG-13 Rating ...

'Slogger

StarLyte
08-21-2006, 14:00
I must say that the only thing better than coffee in the morning is having a good friend there to share it with.

Dances with Mice
08-21-2006, 15:05
I must say that the only thing better than coffee in the morning is having a good friend there to ......make it for you.

FanaticFringer
08-25-2006, 23:25
Cocoa Extract COCOA EXTRACT 12%. Our new cocoa extract has better taste and solubility than our previous product at about 1/3 lower cost! It has the taste and aroma of unsweetened bitter chocolate standardized to 12% theobromine, theophylline & PEA. Dose is 500-1000mg (1/4-1/2tsp) 1-3x/day. Dissolves quickly in hot water or mixes well in shakes without gritty sediment. 100 grams, $8.00. Code 880.5 (replaces code 880.0)

Perfect substitute for coffee. Gives you a nice lift. Very healthy.

www.beyond-a-century.com

rpettit
08-26-2006, 07:57
Chocolate covered expresso coffee beans. Just eat a few in the morning wash them down with water and your good to go. Though I'd rather have a hot cup of french roast straight up.

gumball
08-26-2006, 20:20
Chocolate covered expresso coffee beans. Just eat a few in the morning wash them down with water and your good to go. Though I'd rather have a hot cup of french roast straight up.

"Eat a few", at least for me, ended up being 3 or 4...unfortunately, the first time I tried these, they tasted sooo good, I ate 12 or more that morning. Ended up with a bit of a nervous twitch and a rumbly stomach for the rest of the day. They're tiny, but mighty, ... but they do do the trick :rolleyes:

swede
08-26-2006, 20:53
Part of my "kitchen" is a spoon with a perforated hinged lid. Scoop some coffee, stir or steep, makes 2 cups. one for each eye. No grounds in the bottom. I don't remember where I got it, but it beats instant, or those coffee baggies. A little shot of Rebel Yell in it and you have a genuwine down east 'good mornin'.:sun

gumball
10-29-2006, 09:19
Try about three or four chocolate coated espresso beans and see how far you zoom down the trail with those--I would forewarn that if three or four are good, five or six are NOT better, unless you enjoy the caffeine jitters :)

stumpknocker
12-23-2006, 22:08
I can't believe it, but I walked a thousand miles after I ditched my stove and really didn't miss my morning coffee....too much. :)

The only two things I used were Jolt Caffeine Gum (which worked out fine and weighs almost nothing) and chocolate covered expresso beans (a little heavier). I would eat 10 expresso beans some mornings because I really liked the taste of them.

I never needed both the gum and the expresso beans on any mornings.

I also found that I could go some mornings later on in the hike without anything.

Now I'm off Trail and really enjoying my pot of Starbuck's every morning. :)

rafe
12-23-2006, 22:35

I don't do hot breakfasts on the trail, but these days a cup of tea, just before or after dinner (or both), is a must. In the "real world" I need my morning coffee.

ahodlofski
12-23-2006, 23:13
question...do you guys bring a coffee pot? French press? filter cone and regular pot to boil water in? im a coffee junkie and love that cup each morning...also...how easy is it to get good coffee to resupply along the trail? Say in maine....

rafe
12-23-2006, 23:30
Try about three or four chocolate coated espresso beans and see how far you zoom down the trail with those--I would forewarn that if three or four are good, five or six are NOT better, unless you enjoy the caffeine jitters :)

I'm confused. Doesn't a typical cuppa joe contain the "equivalent" of much more than this? I mean, I haven't counted the beans, but my morning pot of coffee starts with two "1 oz" scoops of beans...

Just curious...

Bravo
12-24-2006, 00:00
I'm confused. Doesn't a typical cuppa joe contain the "equivalent" of much more than this? I mean, I haven't counted the beans, but my morning pot of coffee starts with two "1 oz" scoops of beans...

Just curious...

Coffee beans and espresso beans are two different things. They're not eating chocolate covered coffee beans.:D

rafe
12-24-2006, 00:02
Coffee beans and espresso beans are two different things. They're not eating chocolate covered coffee beans.:D

Oops. So where do i find these magical beans ? ;)

Bravo
12-24-2006, 00:05
Oops. So where do i find these magical beans ? ;)

I see them at the grocery store I go to(Trader Joe's). It's kinda on the healthier end of grocery stores though. I'm not sure if all stores have them.

There's got to be some jittery caffeine addicts here that know.:)

rafe
12-24-2006, 00:11
I see them at the grocery store I go to (Trader Joe's).

Thanks, I'll keep an eye out next time I'm there. I was hoping to avoid the mail drop/bounce box thing, but stuff like this make me think again...

virtualfrog
12-24-2006, 02:13
My morning ritual is a pack of Emergen'C for the initial zing, followed by a couple cups of hot water w/ a cube or 2 of Maggi beef bouillion cube dissolved in it. (http://http://www.mexgrocer.com/brand-maggi.html) Follow this up w/ a canteen full of quarter to half strength Koolaid junk w/ my breakfast. Gets me good initial hydration, warms me up past the jitters (seems to be cold mornings almost everywhere/when that I hike), and enough sugar to want to start moving asap.

general
12-24-2006, 11:20
whiskey. put it in the coffee or just drink it straight.

StarLyte
12-24-2006, 11:42
When I travel I always leave my bag of Starbucks in the kitchen of a hostel or guest house. If I really like you, and I like everybody, you'll get Cinnabon with that.

This year I left Starbucks at these locations:

Miss Janet's, Blackburn Trail Center, Ironmasters (Pine Grove), NOC, Damascus Old Mill, Trail Angel Mary's, and several little secret places along the AT :rolleyes:

My point? I love coffee and friends.

General.....is that the same whiskey you had at the SoRuck? Bad boy.

Sly
12-24-2006, 11:51
Starlyte, don't forget to come visit Cabin C when you're at the SoRuck!

StarLyte
12-24-2006, 11:52
Starlyte, don't forget to come visit Cabin C when you're at the SoRuck!

Sly is this a joke?

Sly
12-24-2006, 11:56
Sly is this a joke?

Why would you think that? (Psst, I'm looking for Starbuck's and Cinnabons!)

StarLyte
12-24-2006, 11:59
Why would you think that? (Psst, I'm looking for Starbuck's and Cinnabons!)

I know dat.

I love you Sly.

partly cloudy
12-24-2006, 14:13
A cup of fresh brewed coffee, the sun coming up, a view to the next mountain, and a good friend.
There ain't no place better.

general
12-24-2006, 17:33
General.....is that the same whiskey you had at the SoRuck? Bad boy.

that wern't no whiskey, that was the real sht, but it goes good in coffee too.