PDA

View Full Version : FNST - AT intersection

Amigi'sLastStand
08-21-2006, 10:17
Check the pic. I guess the AT and FNST are now linked.

The AT is a 2x4 whiteblaze, of course. The Florida National Scenic Trail is a 2x4 orange blaze.
In '04 during the hurricanes, this area burned really bad. So, the Tosohatchee Park employees were told to reblaze the trails. The did the entire park over again -- all in white. DOH!!!! Every single trail throughout the burned areas are white. All of them.
What's ever funnier, is that they missed about 1/4" of em, so you follow a WB, come up to a stretch of orange, find an intersection, and see yellow, orange, and white in every direction. It would have been funnier when I was out there, except the map I had was four years old, completely wrong, and had the wrong mileage legend.
So we compassed along, stopping every so often when we couldn't find a blaze. The FNST is not used nearly as much as the AT, so sometimes there is no discernable trail to follow. It was a bit stressful when your four hours from your car, ??? miles from the campsite ( if it's still there ) in the middle of field with no blazes and no intelligible map.:(

It's funnier now that we're home.

DareN
08-21-2006, 12:12
I can finally take the FT north all the way to Springer? That's pretty cool! That white paint was probably all that they had left in the toolshed. I know what you mean sometimes about no discernable trail, such is life in our neck of the woods.

Gray Blazer
08-21-2006, 12:46
Even funnier, I was on a section of the FT and they had painted blazes about every 10 feet.....guess they had a lot of people getting lost.

Amigi'sLastStand
08-21-2006, 13:49
I posted on another thread this humorous little tid bit.

After the fires during 04, the foresty ppl told the parks to reblaze the trail. According to the guy at the park, they got some USF ( or UF, he wasnt sure ) interns to hike out and reblaze. They got some paint from HD, the traffic paint used to blaze trees, and and did the whole trail system, in white. But they missed 1/4 of the blazes, so it the whole system makes no freaking sense anymore. The intersection of the FT ( orange ), the Tiger Trail ( yellow ), and the Beehead Branch ( red ), you can see four colors -- two down each trail, with white repeating each trail. My wife and I had a heart attacj since we were trying to find Tiger campsite ( sign post said 1.8 miles two hours back! ). It would have been funny if it wasnt raining. But like DareN said, what else do you expect from our neck of the woods.