PDA

View Full Version : Planning on doing the whole thing as soon as possible

Canadian Guy
08-21-2006, 12:18
I did parts of the AT when I was younger as part of a french canadian summer camp in Maine, through the three years I went there I traveled the entire the state.
I'm now 22 years old, a philosphy student and having a rough time in life in general: I want to get out of the city that is destroying me and away from all the people I can't stand. The thing is, I did this with counselors and so on, so while I may have hiked, I have very little organizational experience.
I plan on doing Georgia to Maine in order to end with Mt. Katahdin, a mountain I cursed when I went up it because I had hurt one of my knees on the way there and it took me an ungodly amount of time to go up and down it (I think it might have taken me 7 hours total or something) and I feel bad about it.
Most people I have talked to about this are concerned about me doing this alone, and probably for good reasons however I am commited do doing this alone.I'm not even sure where to begin: I have some basic equipment such as backpack, tent and walking boots. I read I should plan spending something around 5000 USD on the whole trip so I'm starting to save up right now.
Well this post is long enough already for someone who doesn't have that much to say really. So I'll go round up some more info and more cash!
Thanks

Lone Wolf
08-21-2006, 12:22
You're at the right place. Do some research here and ask ??? You won't be "alone" on the AT. Tons of folks start northbound.

Canadian Guy
08-21-2006, 12:49
Ah yes
I meant alone as in "away from the people I know". I don't think anyone could take 7 months of total isolation.

hammock engineer
08-21-2006, 12:54
Welcome to WB.

Plenty of threads out there on almost everything. Ask any questions you might have. See you out there next sprng.

Time To Fly 97
08-21-2006, 13:41
How does this sound:

I took 6 months off for ME and I loved every second of it.

I think over the course of a thru-hike, you meet more people hiking solo. You and you aren't obligated to hike with anyone (or continue hiking with anyone) unless you choose to... and you probably will because everyone out there has a huge amount of things in common and has different a perspectives and experience you will welcome.

It sounds like you are pretty fed up with your current situation. Hiking the AT will replace that angst you feel with joy. You will end up learning a lot about yourself and what you want to do. Thru-hiking is an extremely healthy and rewarding way to live for 6 months and the lessons you learn and the feelings you feel continue for the rest of your life. This is a blessing given to few people.

Take time to prepare for success.

Happy hiking!

TTF

ShakeyLeggs
08-21-2006, 14:05
As the old addage goes; Just Do It. Your on the right track coming here. There is a wealth of knowlege here and the great thing is everyone is gernerous with that knowlege. As L Wolf says do some research and ask alot of questions.

ShakeyLeggs
08-21-2006, 14:06
As the old addage goes; Just Do It. Your on the right track coming here. There is a wealth of knowlege here and the great thing is everyone is generous with that knowlege. As L Wolf says do some research and ask alot of questions.

Disney
08-21-2006, 15:33
This may ruffle some feathers, but I never saw the need for a huge amount of "organization." Get your stuff together and head out. With 5000 dollars you don't need to have someone mail you food. Just buy it when you get to town. I understand the benefit of setting goals, but don't believe that planning where you should be on what day is necessary or even advisable. And you are at the right place. If you can find something new to discuss, everyone will jump on it like a pack of hungry wolves.

Lone Wolf
08-21-2006, 17:28
What Disney said.

hammock engineer
08-21-2006, 17:32
This may ruffle some feathers, but I never saw the need for a huge amount of "organization." Get your stuff together and head out. With 5000 dollars you don't need to have someone mail you food. Just buy it when you get to town. I understand the benefit of setting goals, but don't believe that planning where you should be on what day is necessary or even advisable. And you are at the right place. If you can find something new to discuss, everyone will jump on it like a pack of hungry wolves.

When I first starting planning my thru, the engineer in me wanted to plan everything out. After I thought about it, read a lot of advice and tips on WB, and talked to a few people I agree with the just go with it mentality.

The one planning I would do is pick up the guide book and maps. Everything else will work itself out in the end.