PDA

View Full Version : your fav book about the AT

Blissful
08-21-2006, 13:11
I know there have been other threads on this - but looking specifically for what you as a woman recommend reading about the AT? Or what was your favorite (?). Doesn't necessarily have to be written by a female hiker, etc. I want to buy another book on it before the 2007 thru, but not sure which one. Thanks!

mweinstone
08-21-2006, 19:15
a real woman and friend of mine.sorry to interupt ladies.

eArThworm
08-21-2006, 19:47
I know there have been other threads on this - but looking specifically for what you as a woman recommend reading about the AT? Or what was your favorite (?). Doesn't necessarily have to be written by a female hiker, etc. I want to buy another book on it before the 2007 thru, but not sure which one. Thanks!
Mass, Leslie. “In Beauty May She Walk: Hiking the Appalachian Trail at 60.” Rock Spring Press, 2005.

Hughes, M.E. "We're Off to See the Wilderness: The Wonderful Wilderness of Awes." Xlibris, 2006

wilconow
08-24-2006, 19:38
Hughes, M.E. "We're Off to See the Wilderness: The Wonderful Wilderness of Awes." Xlibris, 2006

besides the cartoons, what stood out for you in this book?

WILLIAM HAYES
08-24-2006, 22:03
Check out the Appalachian trail website they have a good book listing I would recommend Jean Deeds book There are Mountains to climb well written and a good depiction of the joy and hardship of thru hiking the AT

Cuffs
08-25-2006, 13:44
A little off topic, but still on hiking, I loved (and laughed all the way through) "How to **** In the Woods". Written by a female, she understands our "predicament" when it comes to dropping drawers...

Lilred
08-25-2006, 16:57
I read How to **** in the Woods and wasn't all that impressed with it. It was funny in a couple of spots, but it was geared more to kayaking than hiking. Lots of repeat information on it.

The best book I've read about hiking the AT is by Model T, J.R. Tate, "Walking onthe Happy Side of Misery". Now this is a funny book.

QHShowoman
08-25-2006, 17:04
I liked "A Journey North" by Adrienne Hall and "Always Another Mountain" by WB's very own Danie Martin (aka Mouse).

eArThworm
08-27-2006, 00:13
besides the cartoons, what stood out for you in this book?

His upbeat attitude and good writing.

teachergal
08-27-2006, 00:37
I enjoyed Jeff Alt's A Walk for Sunshine - funny, real, reads like you are talking to him. I got to meet him and hear him speak a few weeks ago at my local REI store - great guy! If you like his AT book then you must read his other book A Hike for Mike - he and his wife hike the John Muir trail to raise awareness for depression and sucide prevention following the loss of his wife's brother to sucide.

I also really enjoyed Model T's book....

chickadee
11-13-2006, 16:28
what are some things that you may have wanted to read about in books about hiking, but haven't been mentioned?

turtlex
02-21-2007, 09:05
Just dropping in for a quick note - I just put the AT in the search box at Amazon and got a lot of hits. Sure, some were guidebooks or maps, but quite a few were travelogues.

Mountain Maiden
02-21-2007, 09:52
I thought Robert Rubin's (aka Ryhmin' Worm) Off the Beaten Path was a good depiction of the actual trail experience. It was well-written and made you feel as though you were going along on his journey. It was also entertaining!

:sun

1Pint
02-21-2007, 10:03
what are some things that you may have wanted to read about in books about hiking, but haven't been mentioned?

I'd love to read more about the trail from a woman's perspective and addressing the issues that women face much more than men. Of course there are some trail experiences that are gender-neutral, but I can get that stuff from lots of sources. There are some books out there and I've read anything I could get my hands on, but I'd love more.

So, Blissful, thanks for starting this thread! I hope the suggestions keep rolling in. :)

Rain Man
02-21-2007, 10:31
I'd love to read more about the trail from a woman's perspective and addressing the issues that women face much more than men.

"Walking Home - A Woman's Pilgrimage on the Appalachian Trail" by WB's own Kelly Winters is certainly that. In fairness, I should warn you that she's not a "purist," if that's important to you.

Also, go to www.alibris.com and search for Appalachian Trail. You can find lots of out-of-print books and lots of in-print books, cheap.

Don't forget Dorothy Laker, an early early multiple-time thru-hiker. Her three hikes are chronicles in "Hiking the Appalachian Trail," edited by James Hare. Those two volumes contain other women's hikes too, though often with husbands.

As it happens, I'm mailing Cindy Ross' book, "A Woman's Journey" to my daughter Grass today for her birthday later this month. A neat book. I just ordered Ross' other hiking books this week.

Rain:sunMan

Jim Adams
02-21-2007, 10:38
I have a very extensive AT library but my favorite book is AS FAR AS THE EYE CAN SEE by David Brill. Not only is it great writing but it is about a thru in the late 1970's and although the trials and tribulations of his hike were the same ones as a thru hike today, due to equipment and the trail itself, the differences between his hike and both of mine is so vastly different.
A very good read!

geek

VictoriaM
02-21-2007, 13:56
I just finished both books by the Barefoot Sisters. They were so good I couldn't put them down, so I finished both in about a week and a half (if you've ever seen these books, you'll understand how much reading I had to do). They were excellent, and the Sisters are fascinating people.

I'll have to be the voice of dissent about the Leslie Mass book. I didn't like the book or the author.

Sly
02-21-2007, 14:10
I'll have to be the voice of dissent about the Leslie Mass book. I didn't like the book or the author.

I haven't read it but it got good reviews on Amazon.com

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/customer-reviews/0976568608/ref=cm_cr_dp_2_1/103-6275219-9799004?ie=UTF8&customer-reviews.sort%5Fby=-SubmissionDate&n=283155

Rain Man
02-21-2007, 15:54
I just finished both books by the Barefoot Sisters. They were so good I couldn't put them down....

Titles and authors' names would be great! Hint, hint. :)

Froggy
02-21-2007, 22:01
"There are Mountains to Climb," by Jean Deeds. (800) 996-5627.

Good enough to have started me thinking seriously about hiking the AT.

VictoriaM
02-21-2007, 23:19
Titles and authors' names would be great! Hint, hint. :)

Uh, they're by the Barefoot Sisters (if you look it up on Amazon or order through a book store, that's the only name you need) and they're both called Adventures of the Barefoot Sisters. Volumes 1&2.

Spottzie
03-01-2007, 15:14
I read How to **** in the Woods and wasn't all that impressed with it. It was funny in a couple of spots, but it was geared more to kayaking than hiking. Lots of repeat information on it.

The best book I've read about hiking the AT is by Model T, J.R. Tate, "Walking onthe Happy Side of Misery". Now this is a funny book.

I love Model Ts book! It really is a nice, easy read. I'm fortunate enough to live in the same town as him and have been able to speak to him and get a lot of advice from him. A definite must read for anyone who loves the trail.

camich
03-01-2007, 15:28
I love Model Ts book! It really is a nice, easy read. I'm fortunate enough to live in the same town as him and have been able to speak to him and get a lot of advice from him. A definite must read for anyone who loves the trail.

Hi Spottzie, I also love Model T's books. I live in Woodlawn, any chance we've met at one of his talks or book signing?