PDA

View Full Version : Work in Maine

ridgewalker777
08-21-2006, 14:37
If you're finishing hiking and are free to travel to a different part of the state--here are a couple of options. Blueberry raking is still going on for a few weeks in far eastern Maine around Machias. Apple picking will be starting after that. All you need is basic living set-up, tent, etc. near the work which is out in the blueberry barrens--some workers are making well over $100 a day. It is hard work, bending over all day, but nothing that a serious hiker couldn't do. I'm working around Lubec--the fellow needs more workers. Raking tool is provided short term, you can buy a rake for about $50. Also Machias job service has contacts for land holders who need rakers. The usual mantra, "the locals don't want to work". For apple picking, there are many orchards which must hire Americans, or give them a chance to pick--again job service in western Maine are good contact places.:sun

mdionne
08-21-2006, 15:31
L.L. Bean hires thousands of people for the holiday and usually start hiring around the end of august. hard workers (like us hikers) get moved around from department to department til the end of march maybe?. i worked there after my hike and have met other hikers working there in the past as well. i never got laid off because i had other work in the spring and quit. 10 to 12 bucks an hour (depending on what shift you want to work), plus there's lots of opportunities to work overtime, which is time and a half.

several ski resorts also hire in winter. starting pay is around 7 or 8 bucks an hour but if you like to ski you get a free pass. and you can shovel snow on the side for extra cash (finally giving those arms a workout). if last winter is any indication resorts will be making plenty of snow this year.

vaporjourney
08-22-2006, 05:43
Why do you guys choose to stay in Maine instead of come back home? I had been making tentative mental plans of spending a day or two in Portland, then going over to Acadia, then from there taking the ferry to Nova Scotia and worming up to Halifax. This idea of working in Maine could be wise to save up a few days worth of pay and then keep moving further north. thanks a lot for these ideas.

caro
08-22-2006, 18:28
Maine is a great place to spend some time. The coast is one place and you problably had enough mountains. The above suggestions for itinerant work are good, apples goes on for a long time. (Mid october) I moved here because it felt like there was still an innocence in the kids here, like when I was a kid, after close to ten years teaching these kids, I still feel that way. I was from CT. Spend a little time here, talking to people, you will want to stay too. Good luck