PDA

View Full Version : Cigar

SGT Rock
08-21-2006, 18:50
I know this will probably end up some sort of shoot out flame thread, but maybe not.

Occasionally I like to smoke a good cigar while out in the woods. Nothing like a nice campfire, some good whiskey, and a nice cigar as a way to unwind. Of course I don't leave them behind, I don't inhale, and I don't do it around others unless they are also into it.

And before you say I am killing myself, I have probably only smoked about 20 in the last 4 years.

Anyone else indulge?

Jack Tarlin
08-21-2006, 19:00
Rock, you will no doubt shortly be besieged by folks outraged over having to smell your cigar smoke, ever. In short, the public burning of leaves and twigs and the resultant noxious smoke, is something they simply don't feel they should have to be exposed to.

Of course, when these same folks are clustered around burning leaves, twigs, and wood that happen to be in a campfire, they have no objections whatsoever.

Smoke 'em if you got 'em, Sarge.

SGT Rock
08-21-2006, 19:05
Yes, I expect something like that too Jack. Screw 'em. I don't plan to do it around them anyway. Just thought I would throw this out there on a board that seems to be short on just good camp talk lately ;)

But good to see you posting on something besides a political thread, too many people out there for you to argue with all the time. Maybe when I get back we can burn one and drink some adult beverages around a pile of burning leaves and twigs and talk politics again. Good times. May as well enjoy them.

Keep the faith Jack.

Topcat
08-21-2006, 19:10
I will indulge myself on the last night of a trip. It has to be a good one though; Cohiba, Macanudo, Romeo y Julietta. Why ruin the finest times of life with a Swisher Sweet......

I always ask if others are there, by the way, bu

Topcat
08-21-2006, 19:10
but no one ever objected...to finish the sentence

Dances with Mice
08-21-2006, 19:11
Anyone else indulge?I have, but can't remember the last time. Been awhile.

I think the last time was when I learned that I didn't know how to select a good one. The "spend more money" strategy didn't work. A good cigar's heaven; a bad one's hell.

SGT Rock
08-21-2006, 19:13
Exactly. We are not talking about grocery store packs of 30 here LOL.

I tied a Cohiba, not as good as I was expecting after years of hearing how great Cuban cigars were. I have had some good Dominicans that cost half as much and were just as good if not better.

c.coyle
08-21-2006, 19:14
I love cigars. You don't have to inhale to enjoy a fine one. As far as leaving them behind, they're just leaves. You can't beat J.R. Cigar (http://www.jrcigar.com/index.cfm), world's largest cigar retailer.

SGT Rock
08-21-2006, 19:18
I just don't leave them because I don't like cigarette butts and figure I ought to pack them out to have some sort of consistency on my principles :D

Skidsteer
08-21-2006, 19:19
I

Occasionally I like to smoke a good cigar while out in the woods. Nothing like a nice campfire, some good whiskey, and a nice cigar as a way to unwind. Of course I don't leave them behind, I don't inhale, and I don't do it around others unless they are also into it.

Anyone else indulge?

A good cigar's heaven; a bad one's hell.

I'm not picky. Good company makes for a good smoke, IMO.

A campfire and good whiskey doesn't hurt either. ;) <!-- / message --><!-- sig -->

white rabbit
08-21-2006, 19:23
Smoke em if you got em, I say, but I bet you get tired of being asked, "Got another one of those?"
Heck, if you can't smoke in the woods by a fire where can you smoke?
Indulge and enjoy life!!

Lone Wolf
08-21-2006, 19:26
I remember some years back some hikers were celebrating An AT completion by firing up some big fat ass stogies and some veggie-hippy types bitched holy hell about it, you know ruining their pure air and all. They were just jealous cuz they didn't have a big ole splif to pass around. I kick hippies!:)

ed bell
08-21-2006, 19:27
Maybe when I get back we can burn one and drink some adult beverages around a pile of burning leaves and twigs and talk politics again. Good times. Usually I quote only the part of a post I am refering to, but when I snipped your post I realized what out of context means.:D

T-Dubs
08-21-2006, 19:29
I do enjoy a good cigar every now and then. We've got a small outdoor firepit here at home and on those cool Fall nights, along with a glass of port or some Drambuie, it makes for an nice evening. On the trail...sure, why not?

Tom

ed bell
08-21-2006, 19:30
I remember some years back some hikers were celebrating An AT completion by firing up some big fat ass stogies and some veggie-hippy types bitched holy hell about it, you know ruining their pure air and all. They were just jealous cuz they didn't have a big ole splif to pass around. I kick hippies!:)Damn you'd figure that after all the complainers had been through, they could actually adapt and overcome. Wind direction, a wonderful thing.:D

Jack Tarlin
08-21-2006, 19:31
I remember that, too, Wolf. Some ass-clown actually wrote a letter to the ATC magazine bitching about a hiker having a victory cigar on Katahdin. Geez, I wonder how much smoke and pollution that guy launched into the air the previous six months via his car exhaust, house chimney, burning backyard leaves, etc., as compared to that produced by a hiker smoking a cigar for ten minutes.

Pretty silly.

Just Jeff
08-21-2006, 19:41
Not much hotter than seeing a beautiful girl wrap her lips around a cigar, and after seeing that Dino's pic of Wolf...

'Course they stink like hell, and so does she after smoking one, but there's still something about it that gets me.

I've smoked them before but not enough to say I'm a smoker. Last one was a huge fatty in a cigar bar in Germany after I'd imbibed a bit too much. A bad few hours followed...

mweinstone
08-21-2006, 19:44
but welcome the bug deterent. and a good dog or two in the shelter makes for a mouseless eve. but both are made all the more by the simple addition of stressed out wineing hippys whos tofu has gotten cigar smoke and doggy druel on it. boo hoo. i usually pray this prayer as im holding in my contempt and laughter. dear lord forgive me for laughing at these idiots who are making such a fuss over a cigar and a dog but i love when hippys cry. sorry lord. amen.

StarLyte
08-21-2006, 19:48
but welcome the bug deterent. and a good dog or two in the shelter makes for a mouseless eve. but both are made all the more by the simple addition of stressed out wineing hippys whos tofu has gotten cigar smoke and doggy druel on it. boo hoo. i usually pray this prayer as im holding in my contempt and laughter. dear lord forgive me for laughing at these idiots who are making such a fuss over a cigar and a dog but i love when hippys cry. sorry lord. amen.

Matthewski--
I definitely dig your post.

Topcat
08-21-2006, 19:49
Sarge, i agree about the Dominican Cigars. I was in Peace Corps there and that is where i picked up the habit. They were certainly a lot cheaper than than now though....

TOW
08-21-2006, 19:54
I know this will probably end up some sort of shoot out flame thread, but maybe not.

And before you say I am killing myself, I have probably only smoked about 20 in the last 4 years.

Anyone else indulge?Listen bro, just do your thing and come home to us and smoke all the cigars you want around a campfire of burning leaves and twigs.....that fire will dissapate the smell....

Just Jeff
08-21-2006, 19:54
I heard that when Castro overthrew the govt, all the capitalist farmers took their seeds to Dominican Republic and Honduras...and took their expertise with them and started growing good cigars there. So the "peasants" who moved onto the nationalized Cuban lands tried to keep growing cigars, but since they weren't part of the capitalist class they didn't really have the skills to run a farm. Eventually, quality suffered - so now Dominicans are much better than Cubans. But Cubans are illegal so they're coveted and supposedly cooler.

Gray Blazer
08-21-2006, 20:11
Tip 'o the hat to ya and to whoever hid those cigars in the rafters at the Laurel shelter on Camp Creek Bald. They did not go to waste.;)

peter_pan
08-21-2006, 20:15
Nothing like a fine cigar and a sinle malt scotch once every few years.... best if off in the fresh air miles from any one... peace and pleasureful reflection to ya Rock, a fine reward that we all have occasion to owe ourselves.:)

Pan

dickdurk
08-21-2006, 21:37
I make a point of smoking 1 a day (max). i keep as much distance as I can between myself and others while enjoying-never had any complaints;one smart a$$ comment about doing a healthy thing (hiking) and ruining the effect by smoking. I showed remarkable self control on that one, thankyouverymuch.

Anyway, i get my cigars mailorder from Thompson's (I go for the bargains) and lately have been very impressed with their house brand "Cuban Mistakes"

That and a shot of dark rum (gotta be Meyers) and I am living in luxury. Sweet.

hikerjohnd
08-21-2006, 21:42
A buddy and I went camping over Christmas break almost every year from the time we could drive until I moved away. He pulled out a cigar on the first trip and handed it to me. At the ripe old age of 16, I lit it and looked so cool. About 15 minutes later I was puking my guts out. To this day I can not stand the smell. Although I will not complain if someone lights up, I just need a fair warning so I do not ruin the experience for the smoker!

bfitz
08-21-2006, 21:47
Good company makes for a good smoke, IMO.
No matter what you smoke or drink (and whatever you've got, I'll smoke it and drink it), it's not complete without good company. Even when you're alone with yourself!:D

Footslogger
08-21-2006, 22:05
When I finally quit cigarettes years ago I began dabbling with cigars. I liked em WAY too much and they almost became a surrogate for the cigarettes. Man ...if someone lit up a domincan macanudo and offered me one it'd be all over but the smoke rings !!

'Slogger

Amigi'sLastStand
08-21-2006, 22:06
Montecristo #2. My favorite.

Amigi'sLastStand
08-21-2006, 22:07
No matter what you smoke or drink (and whatever you've got, I'll smoke it and drink it), it's not complete without good company. Even when you're alone with yourself!:D
Amen, brother.:D

fujiboots
08-21-2006, 22:24
Great posts all. This reminds me of these two brothers who I remember seeing in '03. It rained all the time if you recall, and at the end of the day these two came in and fired up Macanudos to celebrate getting through all that wet, grey slog. After those days I will tell you envy definitely came to mind! Celebrate in the face of it all!

kyhiker1
08-21-2006, 23:19
I enjoy a good Dominican after a exhausting hike or just to unwind at days end.I dont inhale as well but like the taste and is alot better with your beverage of chioce.

greentick
08-21-2006, 23:52

If offered a fine one by one of my buddies I will join in. Of course it is usually accompanied by fine bourbon. I am a (cigarette)non-smoker. Good cigars actually smell nice as long as the smoke isn't blown in your face. Better than a campfire anyhow...

Amigi'sLastStand
08-22-2006, 00:01
I heard that when Castro overthrew the govt, all the capitalist farmers took their seeds to Dominican Republic and Honduras...and took their expertise with them and started growing good cigars there. So the "peasants" who moved onto the nationalized Cuban lands tried to keep growing cigars, but since they weren't part of the capitalist class they didn't really have the skills to run a farm. Eventually, quality suffered - so now Dominicans are much better than Cubans. But Cubans are illegal so they're coveted and supposedly cooler.
From an 18 year Floridian, this is completely the truth. Dominicans are the best in the world. The old cuban tobacco land was converted to sugar.

SteveJ
08-22-2006, 01:05

Anyone else indulge?

Yep! A good stogie and adult beverage (usually scotch) is on my gear list for every weekend out.... I usually pack 2 stogies, and talk someone into joining me!

I do have to say that I've had one Cuban Montecristo, and it ruined me... I usually smoke La Gloria Cubana's (about one a month)... the Montecristo had depth, was rich, but didn't bite and wasn't bitter... The La Gloria's are good, but don't compare!

My 18 yr old just went to Germany for 11 months as part of a student foreign exchange program. He couldn't wait to get my response to the pic he posted where he's smoking a Cuban Montecristo on a tour boat on the Rhine! We're going over in Feb to visit - am budgeting to bring a box of the Cuban's back! (do need to look at the regs on that one tho!)

SGT Rock
08-22-2006, 01:15
Great responses y'all. Better than I expected I must say.

Maybe we should start a cigar section at Billville next year.

ShakeyLeggs
08-22-2006, 03:05
I'm not Navy but my son is and all I have to say is;

The Smoking Lamp Is Lit.

Burn em if ya got em.

K0OPG
08-22-2006, 06:17
DeHoya Monteray's (spelling?) Excaliburs...very smooth, great tasting...even better with some Jack Daniels Select sitting high on my mountain in WV, watching the sunset. "it doan git no bettr than that".

and to all the former, current military, as ShakeyLegs wrote: "The smoking lamp is lit...smoke em if ya got em". Of course that was the good ole days of the military...now they hide you behind a building. oh well....guess I'm glad I reitred. oohrah.

Hurry up and get back ROCK and I look forward to sharing one around a campfire with some adult beverages and great conversation.

Touch of Grey
08-22-2006, 06:41
Fuente 858's, Fuente 'Churchhills', Monte Cristo Presidents!

Fuente's are my favorites. Shared one with Preacher at TDZ this year. He was in heaven also over a good cigar.

Cohibas are okay in a pinch when I'm in Canada and can get them but the peppery taste (one of the signatures of a Cuban) tends to bite my palate too much for my personal likes.

Single Malt Scotch, a GREAT cigar and beautiful scenery...

AHHHHHH!:banana

TOG

otterman
08-22-2006, 08:05
A campfire, a good cigar, a good whiskey, surrounded by woods...all is right with the world.

bulldog49
08-22-2006, 08:07
I take a pack of Cigars every trip I make. I'm partial to Hondurians, especially Baccarats.

D'Artagnan
08-22-2006, 09:10
My first experience with cigars was an utter disaster. I didn't know squat about how to smoke one and I was burnin' that baby down like it was a race to the finish. About four or five minutes later, I was buying a Buick. Not to be defeated, I sought out the advice of some older guys I knew who smoked and they taught me first, how to select a good cigar and second, how to enjoy one. It's a luxury I don't often indulge, but when I do, it's got to be a Macanudo Crystal Cafe. After a lot of searching, it's the one that's right for me.

I'll be sure and bring a few to TrailDays '07 and look forward to the Billville Cigar Bar.

sirbingo
08-22-2006, 09:38
When I go car camping I like to go into town and pick up a steak, some beer, and some cheap cigars....ahhh Heaven!

Swisher Sweets (http://www.ose-tom.co.jp/compal/shop/pic/002/20030828174142309.jpg)

The Solemates
08-22-2006, 09:43

Anyone else indulge?

Nothin wrong with a good cigar. If I was there, I'd smoke one with ya. But I, like you, have one once in a blue moon and do not inhale.

TDale
08-22-2006, 10:13
After the trout dinner, there's nothing better than a good cigar.

Here, let me share a little secret with you:
http://keywestcigars.com/

Probably the finest cigar made in the US.

asphalt commando
08-22-2006, 10:39
To answer the question Rock, I agree. I always take usually two decent cigars and a small stash of liquer and enjoy the end of a great day of hiking, sipping and puffing. Just does not get any better..........