PDA

View Full Version : Regular or long sleeping bag?

Earl Grey
08-21-2006, 21:23
So all I have to get now to complete the "big 4" is a sleeping bag. This is the most important piece so it needs to be right. Been looking at the Marmot Pinnacle as a possible solution although im still looking. Ive read that you should get a long because you can put things at the end where your feet go to keep warm. Im 5'11-6'0 so there probaly wouldnt be room for that with a regular bag.

Skidsteer
08-21-2006, 21:27
So all I have to get now to complete the "big 4" is a sleeping bag. This is the most important piece so it needs to be right. Been looking at the Marmot Pinnacle as a possible solution although im still looking. Ive read that you should get a long because you can put things at the end where your feet go to keep warm. Im 5'11-6'0 so there probaly wouldnt be room for that with a regular bag.

5'11 -6'0? Get the long. JMO.

moondoggy
08-22-2006, 07:34
I'm 5'9" just bought a Marmot Trestle, Regular. Although it's fine, there is not a whole lot of extra room.......I agree, I'd go the long

Toolshed
08-22-2006, 07:42
I'm 6' and need the long - all of my bags are long. I have tried several regulars that I have found on deep discount closeouts, but always return to long. I like the extra few inches and the ability to burrow a bi deeper in the bag when cold.
I agree on the extra space too. I keep all of my spare clothes and water bottles in the bottom of the bag in the winter.

frieden
08-22-2006, 08:24
I'm only 5'5", but I am going to get a long. That footbox is an excellent tool: keeps stuff from freezing (including boots), a dryer, and a nice place for a hot water bladder - mmmm, toasty.... :D

Earl Grey
08-22-2006, 09:42
After thinking about it I looked up the length of my tent and its 86 inches long. Most of the long bags are this length or longer! I think ill have to get the regular now or think of something else because I was looking at a Marmot Pinnacle and its 86 inches long or the Never Summer and its 91 inches long. Damn.

chicote
08-22-2006, 11:24
After thinking about it I looked up the length of my tent and its 86 inches long. Most of the long bags are this length or longer! I think ill have to get the regular now or think of something else because I was looking at a Marmot Pinnacle and its 86 inches long or the Never Summer and its 91 inches long. Damn.

I'd still get the long. You'll be tight in a regular. I made that mistake once and I will not make it again. If your body is pushing against the ends of the bag then it is compressing the down or other insulation rendering it useless. I imagine if you lay out the bag you'd have to stretch it flat to make it hit its posted length mark. And so what if the bag touches the edge of the tent. Unless it is a single wall — but even then you'll probably have that bag wrapped and bunched up so it won't be a problem. My .02

Alligator
08-22-2006, 11:32
That's a terrible idea.She might be talking about a women's long. Regulars fit to around 5'5"-5'6". She'd be right on the cusp.

Fiddler
08-22-2006, 12:23

A proper bag is one of the most, if not THE most, important pieces of gear you will get. Especially for colder weather use. Get the bag you are most comfortable with. Then alter your tent or tarp choices if necessary to accomodate the bag. Same as you get most of your gear, then get a pack to fit it, get the proper bag, then get a tent to fit it.

scope
08-22-2006, 13:54
I'm a 5'11" guy, so I'm on the cusp too. If you're not pushing on the bottom of the bag, then the regular will be technically more efficient in keeping you warm, and that's really the primary factor. I've got both - my cold bag is reg (rated to 6' as most are) and my summer bag is long - and I've never noticed any uncomfort in the reg bag.

Might depend on how you hike. If you stop and sit around long enough in colder weather so that your feet get cold, you may indeed need something to warm the footbox. If your feet remain warm from a long hike and they go to bed that way, a fitted (i.e. regular) footbox will keep you toasty.

scope
08-22-2006, 14:08
p.s. down booties are great for keeping your feet warm around camp; you can always sleep with them on if your feet are getting cold, which then, probably makes the long bag more desirable.

Alligator
08-22-2006, 14:17
I'm not a fan of putting too many things in the footbox. I bring extra socks for my feet and generally sleep in most of my warm clothes. A sweater will do more on my chest than in my foot box for warmth. If I'm really cold, a hot water bottle will do the trick quite nicely. But if someone wants to put boots in and they are on the cusp, the bigger size would be more comfortable.

I don't bother though with putting my boots in my bag. I try to leave them open wide at night and they are the last item to get put on, usually right as I am leaving.

You'll be more comfortable space wise in a long if you are right at the cusp. I personally don't suspect much difference temperature wise for the little bit of extra airspace.

p.s. down booties are great for keeping your feet warm around camp; you can always sleep with them on if your feet are getting cold, which then, probably makes the long bag more desirable.I have a fleece pair. They are great too! Something with a hard sole to wear outside the tent is nice. I sleep in mine also.

Earl Grey
08-22-2006, 17:41
A proper bag is one of the most, if not THE most, important pieces of gear you will get. Especially for colder weather use. Get the bag you are most comfortable with. Then alter your tent or tarp choices if necessary to accomodate the bag. Same as you get most of your gear, then get a pack to fit it, get the proper bag, then get a tent to fit it.

I cant do that as I already bought the tent.

I'm a 5'11" guy, so I'm on the cusp too. If you're not pushing on the bottom of the bag, then the regular will be technically more efficient in keeping you warm, and that's really the primary factor. I've got both - my cold bag is reg (rated to 6' as most are) and my summer bag is long - and I've never noticed any uncomfort in the reg bag.

Might depend on how you hike. If you stop and sit around long enough in colder weather so that your feet get cold, you may indeed need something to warm the footbox. If your feet remain warm from a long hike and they go to bed that way, a fitted (i.e. regular) footbox will keep you toasty.

Hmm. Im a warm sleeper for the most part.

fiddlehead
08-23-2006, 21:51
A sleeping bag should fit you just like any piece of clothing fits. If you buy a bag that has extra space in it, you have to heat up that space. If you have the extra energy, fine. I'm a skinny guy, i want all my warmth to go to me.