PDA

View Full Version : Psycho Killer Raccoons...

berninbush
08-22-2006, 12:33
Psycho Killer Raccoons terrorize Olympia (http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20060822/ap_on_fe_st/rampaging_raccoons_1)

Ok, so this is a long way from the AT, but do you think it could happen there too?

Lone Wolf
08-22-2006, 12:36
They're vermin. Kill them.

Gray Blazer
08-22-2006, 12:36
That's why I believe in arming the neighborhood kids with BB guns and 22's and let them loose on the critters (whoops, sorry. Ellie Mae,)....Varmits!

Alligator
08-22-2006, 12:41
My former boss was visiting his daughter and her husband somewhere on the East Coast I think it was either OH or PA. She and he had some property with a barn on it. They had some barn cats that started disappearing. After some investigation, it was discovered that there were some raccoons high up in the barn chowing on the cats. He also put a big ole pipe to use on them.

StarLyte
08-22-2006, 13:08
"I've never heard a report of 10 cats being killed. It's something were going to have to monitor," Carrell said.

Monitor my A$$ they better implement a task force eliminate this breed! This is serious.

Lone Wolf
08-22-2006, 13:14
That's the spirit Marsha!:D

Gray Blazer
08-22-2006, 14:02
Serious question.....Are coyotes dangerous? I was camping by myself on Beauty Spot a couple of weeks ago and heard a pack of coyotes howling at something not too far away. I try not to be afraid of wild animals and it's worked a few times one on one with individual bears, but, to tell you the truth, I was a little nervous when I heard them. and no, I don't carry a gun on the AT......yet. My rossi 357 and my savage 12 gauge are a little bit too much, especially since I need to "lighten up" already.

Footslogger
08-22-2006, 14:08
[quote=Gray Blazer]Serious question.....Are coyotes dangerous?
===================================
We've got loads of them out here and from my experience (and knowlege) they are opportunists and not generally dangerous to humans. In the early morning and evenings we often see them running singly or in packs out in the distance and at night you can hear their blood curdling howls but I have never felt at risk with them around. That said ...don't tempt them with food laying around.

'Slogger

berninbush
08-22-2006, 14:11
I've never heard of coyotes being dangerous to humans, but my friends in coyote country say they prey on pets. Cats would be at risk.

And yeah, I'd be happy to see a coyote in the wild but I wouldn't get too close.

neo
08-22-2006, 14:44
:D my wife thinks a raccoon been stealing our tomato's,mater,s to me lol
my wife is a yankee,but i am teaching here the redneck way:cool: neo

Ender
08-22-2006, 14:59
Serious question.....Are coyotes dangerous?

I could be wrong about this, so if I am someone please correct me, but I don't think there's ever been an instance of a coyote attacking a human (exceptions for rabid coyotes are of course excluded). Coyotes are small, opportunist animals. Nothing to be afraid of.

Alligator
08-22-2006, 15:08
I could be wrong about this, so if I am someone please correct me, but I don't think there's ever been an instance of a coyote attacking a human (exceptions for rabid coyotes are of course excluded). Coyotes are small, opportunist animals. Nothing to be afraid of.Its extremely rare Ender, but not impossible.
http://tchester.org/sgm/lists/coyote_attacks.html

kyhipo
08-22-2006, 15:44
when I lived down in Fla in the woods i had a coon steal one of my flip flops,and was drinking my grapefruit juice.ky

rhjanes
08-22-2006, 15:57
we have coyotes, raccons, plus armadillos, skunks...in our back yard. We did lose a cat, probably to coyotes. The neighborhood has lost several cats in the past year. Most of the wildlife, hears a human and high-tails it to the woods. However, some coyotes a block over, stood their ground to a human and a german shepard......All are creatures of oportunity.

Dances with Mice
08-22-2006, 16:20
Didn't the Psycho Killer Raccoons tour with Ozzie back in '03?

Gray Blazer
08-22-2006, 17:00
Didn't the Psycho Killer Raccoons tour with Ozzie back in '03?

That's a great name for a band. Kinda like The Psychodelic Bellybutton. I'd like to see the SKR play at the FL Gathering this weekend.

saimyoji
08-22-2006, 17:15
They hired an "expert" to trap them, but he could only get one because they were "too smart." Then later on in the article a lady claims they regularly come to her window to beg for food. :-?

Yep, them 'coons is definately too smart for this trapper. :rolleyes:

Spock
08-22-2006, 17:53
Dang! I knew Over the Hedge would create this kind of histeria. Horror movies always do.

Anyone seen Snakes on a Plane yet?

Gray Blazer
08-22-2006, 20:13
This is true......I was eating my p-nut butter and jelly sandwich sitting down on the beach in St. Augustine. I had my elbows on my knees as I was munching while watching the surf so the sandwich was a little bit up in the air. WHOOSHHH a giant seagull came in low over my head and in one motion grabbed my sandwich that I had taken one bite and flew off with it in his talons. I was pissed...it was my only sandwich. I've never had any trouble like that on the trail. How this relates to psycho killer raccoons I couldn't tell you. I have seen some big coons in G'ville.

Shadow Walking
08-22-2006, 20:17
Just read an article where some kids released two small rattlesnakes in a theater that was showing Snakes on a Plane.

http://reuters.myway.com/article/20060822/2006-08-22T223831Z_01_N22280791_RTRIDST_0_NEWS-LIFE-USA-SNAKES-DC.html

Heater
08-22-2006, 20:41
Psycho Killer Raccoons terrorize Olympia (http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20060822/ap_on_fe_st/rampaging_raccoons_1)

Ok, so this is a long way from the AT, but do you think it could happen there too?

A hiker named sleeveless was attacked on the trail (AT) in '05. She kept a trailjournal account if you want to read about it. I don't think they ever caught the Raccoon.

Frolicking Dinosaurs
08-22-2006, 20:51
When my son was about 7 or 8, we camped on Hunting Island in SC. We left the ingredients for some-mores in a plastic container on the picnic table at our campsite while we went to the beach. When we returned, a raccoon had opened the container and was feasting. My son (Lone Wolf Jr :D ) went after the varmint before I could grab him. That @$&?+ creature bit and clawed my son. Moma was pissed and the kid got a coon tail out of the deal. Thank God it wasn't rabid.

rickb
08-22-2006, 21:11
A Frolicking Velocoraptor! :D

Gray Blazer
08-22-2006, 22:49
When my son was about 7 or 8, we camped on Hunting Island in SC. We left the ingredients for some-mores in a plastic container on the picnic table at our campsite while we went to the beach. When we returned, a raccoon had opened the container and was feasting. My son (Lone Wolf Jr :D ) went after the varmint before I could grab him. That @$&?+ creature bit and clawed my son. Moma was pissed and the kid got a coon tail out of the deal. Thank God it wasn't rabid.

Hey fros-boy, you jogged my memory bigtime. My 8 yr old son and I were camping at Dry River Campground Near Crawford Notch, NH several years ago. We had just returned from hiking up to Mt. Washington and back ....a great trip! Well, we had eaten dinner and were about to roast the marshmallows when a big racoon jumped up on the picnic table right in front of us. He looked at us and then grabbed the unopened bag of marshmallows and took off. The ba$tard! We chased him in the bushes in the dark for about 5 minutes. Well, my son was quite upset as you might well guess. Luckily there were some Japanese people camping by us and even though they did not understand me or what had happened they gave me some marshmallows and I forgot about the incident until just now when I read your post.

TIDE-HSV
08-22-2006, 23:49
I live on a Cumberland Plateau mountain top next to a 1500 acre state park - packed with coons and other critters. In addition, we are in the middle of 3.5 wooded acres, with a house which seems to attract them. All this to set up that I trapped 17 in a row, before I gave it up as basically hopeless - there were always more to come. I never found them particularly hard to trap - ground hogs are harder. Years ago, on a group backpack up Hazel Creek in the GSMNP, I observed a mass attack on various types of food suspensions. They were unable to relate the food visually to the tree from which it was suspended, so they had to just climb every tree in sight, until they encountered a rope, whereupon they would "sloth" their way out to the down rope. If they ran into a shield of some kind (I used tin can tops), they were out of luck. Sometimes, one coon coming down an unsucessful tree would meet another one coming up. They didn't seem to be learning much from each other...

gsingjane
08-23-2006, 08:06
We live in an "upside down" house where the liviing quarters, kitchen etc. are on the top floor and the bedrooms downstairs. It has sort of a lodge-like feel because there are sliding doors and a deck all the way around the top level.

Last night my oldest son was in his room (his room is upstairs) and thought he heard me puttering around in the kitchen. When I didn't answer him, he came in and found two large raccoons had gotten up on the deck, slid open the screen door (there is a slight gap in between the frame and the slider on one of the doors) and were feasting on some bread they pulled off the counter! Like everybody else we've had raccoons rummaging around the backyard, the trash cans, etc. but this is the first time they were bold enough to actually come into the house!

Luckily for me he got the broom and was able to shoo them out the door, but did that get my adrenaline going? Oh, just a little ...

Jane in CT

rswanson
08-29-2006, 16:03
if your neck is so red that you feel the need to kill animals then do the planet a favor and off yourself instead.

Lone Wolf
08-29-2006, 16:08
I love animals....they're delicious.

Smile
08-29-2006, 16:25
A hiker named sleeveless was attacked on the trail (AT) in '05. She kept a trailjournal account if you want to read about it. I don't think they ever caught the Raccoon.

Rubberbandman and I stayed at that shelter the night before her attack, and never saw any racoons. We did run into her the next day after she went to the hospital - one tough lady, it did not look too comfortable to be hiking all wrapped up - She's one of my heroes!

Frolicking Dinosaurs
08-29-2006, 17:01
if your neck is so red that you feel the need to kill animals then do the planet a favor and off yourself instead.I'm not a hunter normally, but you mess with one of my hatchlings and I'm subject to go velociraptor on your hiney - critter or not.

Lone Wolf
08-29-2006, 17:05
if your neck is so red that you feel the need to kill animals then do the planet a favor and off yourself instead.
You one of them PETA fellers?:cool:

Spock
08-29-2006, 17:12
Don't know about coons, but I've know hikers who were attacked by a grouse and a turkey. Not at the same time, of course.

Then, there was the case in which a pack of chipmunks went after some wildlife biologists.

Dang. Nature red in tooth and claw. If it bothers you, please stay home where you will be safe. Maybe.

Gray Blazer
08-29-2006, 18:39

I was hoping this thread would be reintarnated. RS, you must be one of those people that loves animals but hates human beings. I always thought PETA stood for People Eating Tasty Animals. Well here's a chance for those animal loving/Bush haters to put their money where their mouth is. Those racoons were around long before those people in Olympia were. The humans obviously have created a hostile takeover and regime change. Now that 10 cats and a dog have been killed, it's obvious what those people should do. They need to cut and run and leave that neighborhood to the racoons who have more of a right to be there and did not start this war in the 1st place!

rswanson
08-29-2006, 19:00
I was hoping this thread would be reintarnated. RS, you must be one of those people that loves animals but hates human beings. I always thought PETA stood for People Eating Tasty Animals. Well here's a chance for those animal loving/Bush haters to put their money where their mouth is. Those racoons were around long before those people in Olympia were. The humans obviously have created a hostile takeover and regime change. Now that 10 cats and a dog have been killed, it's obvious what those people should do. They need to cut and run and leave that neighborhood to the racoons who have more of a right to be there and did not start this war in the 1st place!
you've described me as accurately as i've described you. i'll have to give you credit for that.

rswanson
08-29-2006, 19:03
I'm not a hunter normally, but you mess with one of my hatchlings and I'm subject to go velociraptor on your hiney - critter or not.
that's fair. but you've gotta admit that the entire problem would have been avoided had you stored your food properly. its a terrible shame that an animal had to die due to a situation that couldve been avoided.

Skidsteer
08-29-2006, 19:06
you've described me as accurately as i've described you. i'll have to give you credit for that.

I'll be dadgummed. An honest animal leftist.

I salute you. You're in a league of your own. Seriously.

So you don't eat meat of any kind? Really?

Gray Blazer
08-29-2006, 19:08

I'm not really looking for validation. However, if you are comparing me to Lone Wolf, I've got one thing to say

.............................................Thank s.:sun

rswanson
08-29-2006, 19:14
I'll be dadgummed. An honest animal leftist.

I salute you. You're in a league of your own. Seriously.

So you don't eat meat of any kind? Really?
i certainly eat meat. my intention was to verify gray blazer's statment that i love animals but hate people. well, hate is too strong of a word. but people do seem to cause a hell of a lot more problems than other animals do, wouldn't you say?

Skidsteer
08-29-2006, 19:27
i certainly eat meat. my intention was to verify gray blazer's statment that i love animals but hate people. well, hate is too strong of a word. but people do seem to cause a hell of a lot more problems than other animals do, wouldn't you say?

Yes.

People solve more problems than animals as well, though perhaps the problems caused outnumber the solutions proffered.

Maybe I need to start eating people...

Pest
08-29-2006, 19:27
This is true......I was eating my p-nut butter and jelly sandwich sitting down on the beach in St. Augustine. I had my elbows on my knees as I was munching while watching the surf so the sandwich was a little bit up in the air. WHOOSHHH a giant seagull came in low over my head and in one motion grabbed my sandwich that I had taken one bite and flew off with it in his talons. I was pissed...it was my only sandwich. I've never had any trouble like that on the trail. How this relates to psycho killer raccoons I couldn't tell you. I have seen some big coons in G'ville.

Seagulls with talons?? What kind of gulls do you have on the East Coast??

Pest
08-29-2006, 19:32
Hey fros-boy, you jogged my memory bigtime. My 8 yr old son and I were camping at Dry River Campground Near Crawford Notch, NH several years ago. We had just returned from hiking up to Mt. Washington and back ....a great trip! Well, we had eaten dinner and were about to roast the marshmallows when a big racoon jumped up on the picnic table right in front of us. He looked at us and then grabbed the unopened bag of marshmallows and took off. The ba$tard! We chased him in the bushes in the dark for about 5 minutes. Well, my son was quite upset as you might well guess. Luckily there were some Japanese people camping by us and even though they did not understand me or what had happened they gave me some marshmallows and I forgot about the incident until just now when I read your post.

In Olympic National Park you can backpack on the ocean beach and "Hard-sided food containers are required for camping" not for keeping out bears but for keeping out racoons!

Racoons killed all of my chickens :mad: but they left my cat alone.

Gray Blazer
08-29-2006, 20:04
Yes.

People solve more problems than animals as well, though perhaps the problems caused outnumber the solutions proffered.

Maybe I need to start eating people...

You got me on that one! It's a good thing I wasn't drinking milk.....wait a minute...doesn't milk come from a cow? Since you have me musing on animals rights, I always thought it was very unfair to eat vegetables. I mean.... after all, a cow could conceivably take out a human who was about to kill it....but a vegetable has no choice but to give up its life for us!It can't even run away and hide. If plants respond to music (I know they do. Just check out the dancing banana. What's he dancing to?) then how do we know if they really want us to eat them or not? Unlike that animal at The Restaurant At The End Of The Universe. Dancing banana is considered a fruit. I'm a fruitcake....coincidence? I think not!):banana

rswanson
08-30-2006, 13:36
I'd like to post a formal apology for my intial comment. Even if I don't understand the position some of you may take on animals you consider to be pests, my remark was certainly uncalled for. As well, its was not in keeping with the spirit of this community or the forums. It was not my intention to generate any ill will. Again, my apologies for anyone I might have offended.

Lone Wolf
08-30-2006, 13:48
I don't find the comment offensive at all and I doubt anyone else does either. It's all good.:)

StarLyte
08-30-2006, 14:13
Seagulls with talons?? What kind of gulls do you have on the East Coast??
Yes they are talons.....the sea gulls are like vultures. They most definitely will remove the food out of your hand.
Even here on Lake Erie, we have the biggest lake gulls ever. They are vicious.

RockyTrail
08-30-2006, 14:39
I saw a seagull steal a half-eaten sandwich right out of a man's hand who was eating at that little outdoor restaurant at the base of Hilton Head SC harbor lighthouse. It was kinda funny but I tried not to laugh as the fellow was nearly scared to death! :D Aggressive little buggers.

jlb2012
08-30-2006, 15:06
Its their revenge for all those Tabasco soaked crackers that wise guys feed to the gulls

Skidsteer
08-30-2006, 16:54
I'd like to post a formal apology for my intial comment. Even if I don't understand the position some of you may take on animals you consider to be pests, my remark was certainly uncalled for. As well, its was not in keeping with the spirit of this community or the forums. It was not my intention to generate any ill will. Again, my apologies for anyone I might have offended.

Don't sweat it. Takes more than that to offend me. :)

Gray Blazer
08-30-2006, 20:07
I saw a seagull steal a half-eaten sandwich right out of a man's hand who was eating at that little outdoor restaurant at the base of Hilton Head SC harbor lighthouse. It was kinda funny but I tried not to laugh as the fellow was nearly scared to death! :D Aggressive little buggers.

I wasn't scared....I was pissed!!

Lone Wolf
08-30-2006, 20:10
Throw em a clam cake stuffed with an Alka-Selter tab. The ***r won't breed again. Death to rats with wings!:cool:

Rouen
08-31-2006, 13:52
Death to rats with wings!:cool:

I always thought those were pigeons :-?

TOW
09-01-2006, 09:11
I don't think we need to be too afraid of coyotes or ratcoons along the trail, but if the mountain lion ever makes a big come back then we have something to worry about, they love human flesh..............
http://tchester.org/sgm/lists/lion_attacks.html

trailale
09-25-2006, 12:48
I know of someone who was attacked by coyotes while cooking on the M+M trail in MA. The coyotes were in a pack. This guy tried to fend them off but the coyotes were too bold. Eventually one went at him while the others stole his food. There was also a news story of someone being attacked in this same region. I'm not sure if the two are the same or separete incidents. Some people I've spoken to have seen coyotes hanging around their porches in search of food/pets. Everytime I've seen one on the trail, they just kind of casually trot off. One time I let my dog chase one across a field. Apart form possibly carrying disease (rabies), I never knew them to be threatning until recently.