PDA

View Full Version : Starting them young

sirbingo
08-22-2006, 12:56
What’s up Y’all,

In about a month my wife and I are expecting our first child. :banana

Eventually, as the kid gets bigger, I would love to take him or her out hiking.

What sort of gear might help with this endeavour?

For example, are these things any good? Kelty K.I.D.S. Wanderer Child Carrier (http://www.campmor.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?productId=39167334&memberId=12500226&storeId=226&catalogId=40000000226&langId=-1)

Alligator
08-22-2006, 13:03
I don't have the carrier you listed, but we do have one of these from MEC
http://www.mec.ca/Products/product_detail.jsp?PRODUCT%3C%3Eprd_id=84552444177 6409&FOLDER%3C%3Efolder_id=2534374302699667&bmUID=1156265940383
We like it a lot. It has the shade and a removable compartment underneath.

SGT Rock
08-22-2006, 13:07
I got something like that years ago for my kids. It was like $5 at Goodwill. Check them out.

Unfortunatly I got rid of it. Now with a grandson I would like to have one again.

Alligator
08-22-2006, 13:13
I got something like that years ago for my kids. It was like $5 at Goodwill. Check them out.

Unfortunatly I got rid of it. Now with a grandson I would like to have one again.That would be a good place to start. It's a piece of equipment that will get outgrown before it is wornout IMO. Maybe put an ad in the For Sale/Wanted forum.

The one I linked to is doable for an overnight, but Daddy needs a big pack!

Kevin A. Boyce
08-22-2006, 13:18
My friends have one of those Baby Bjorns (I think that is the spelling...) that they use/d to hold their new born. He would carry her in it, and would wear a bug netting shirt that was one size larger then he needed, so she was able to be under it with no problems. He took her out for her first AT hikes at just over a month old like that... Granted it was a few hours day hiking, no worries. She was protected from bugs, kept close to him for warmth and he was able to keep a very close eye on her... It worked out very well.

Blissful
08-22-2006, 13:31
We used this with our son when he was little. It was great and held up very well. Even had a little sun shade for him too.
http://www.toughtraveler.com/cat2.asp

Next year he will thru hike the AT with me. Hard to believe. :)

Blissful
08-22-2006, 13:33
Actually, it was this one. But both look good though. And I would think the resale on it would be good. We passed ours down in the family. It was a good investment for us as he rode in it from four months old to two years. (the price was as lot cheaper back then though!)

http://www.toughtraveler.com/cat3.asp

Just Jeff
08-22-2006, 17:17
Some carriers have built-in platy pockets....pretty cool.

We didn't get one of these with our kids, but if I were hiking with a baby I'd go for a sling on the front with a normal lightweight pack on the back. That way you don't have to have separate gear for hiking (same pack for you with or without baby) and around town (sling works in town and on the trail). Slings may not work as the baby gets too big, though. I'd imagine you could find them for much cheaper than a big baby carrier, too.

Alligator
08-22-2006, 17:29
The window of opportunity can be short with the sling, depending on the baby's size. It is easier though as Jeff mentions because the parent can carry a lightweight pack.

Skidsteer
08-22-2006, 17:33

Unfortunatly I got rid of it. Now with a grandson I would like to have one again.

That would be a good place to start. It's a piece of equipment that will get outgrown before it is wornout IMO.

I agree. I see them in Goodwills and thrift stores quite often. They range in price from @ $5 to $15.

Frolicking Dinosaurs
08-23-2006, 06:06
For infants, I have always preferred the sling - it supports their spine better, they are a lot happier being able to see your face and you can keep a better eye on the baby.

The carriers are great for older babies / toddlers that can sit up unassisted for long periods and who are more interested in looking around than at mom or dad.

Both are found often in thrift stores and on ebay. They are durable items that will not get worn out by normal use during the period they are useful (a sling for about 9 months and a carrier for about 2 - 3 years).

mn-backpacker
08-23-2006, 09:09
I don't have any kids yet (trying though ;)), but I read this article when I wondered how the whole young kid/backpacking thing works, and I found it to be very informative:

Lightweight Backpacking with Young Children (http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/00177.html)

hammock engineer
08-23-2006, 10:23
we’ve heard parents having good success by doing the side by side thing with Mom or Dad, which may give rise to a new axiom: “the family that poops together, stays together.”

I don't have kids or will not any time soon. But I read the article anyways, I found this particularly good. I can't wait to tackle issues like this.