PDA

View Full Version : Help me remember

grislyatoms
04-06-2003, 22:00
Hoping that someone can help me recreate an adventure I had when I was 15. That was a long time ago, and I live about 2000 miles from home now.

We started out in the summer of '82 or '83 at Lambert's meadow (I think). There was cow pasture there and we had to cross some fences. We also stayed at the following places for sure:

Fulhardt Knob
Hay rock (we had no water left there, I will never forget it)
After hay rock, we descended into a small town that had a HoJo's (I think it was a HoJo's) and a gas station. Then back up into the mountains. We stayed at a shelter after this that had a rather large stream (or small creek) for two days.

Somehow after this we ended up along the Shenandoah Parkway and the slower hikers hitched a ride to our next camp. There was a woman unrelated to our group that hiked with us for a few days and showed us wild strawberries and made some kind of "hobo bread" that we ate with the strawberries. I remember also that she rolled her own cigarettes, something I had never seen done before. She was exceptionally kind and a little unusual.

After this we drove to the Maury river for a little canoeing. Can anyone recommend a guide book for the places outlined or help me remember the names of the places I visited? (It's been 19 years!) I will be going home (Va. Beach) to visit family soon and would love to recreate this journey.

Thanks!

(As i recall, the trip was two weeks)

Hikerhead
04-06-2003, 22:20
It sounded like you started at rt 779 close to the cement plant, went up to Scorched Earth Gap (there's now a new trail called the Andy Layne Trail going up to the gap) then dropping down to Lamberts Meadow. The little town is Daleville and it's getting bigger every day. Hojo's is now a Chinese Restraunt. It was the Blue Ridge Parkway that you came to after Fulhardt Knob.

Books-50 hikes is Southern Virginia by Leonard Adkins.
Hiking Virginia by Randy Johnson.

I hope this helped.

Groucho
04-07-2003, 18:47
What Hikerhead said. Went that route on a family daytrip to Tinker Cliffs. You should remember the steep up.

The two day stay might have been Wilson Creek shelter. It has been relocated, but used to be near the creek.

That orange roof is a torturous tease if you're really thirsty and tired. It seems to take forever to get there.

grislyatoms
04-08-2003, 14:22
Yes, Wilson's Creek sounds familiar now that you mention it. Thanks so much for both responses. Seeing that orange roof was indeed tortuous! That was one of the first serious lessons I learned about being outdoors for any length of time, and I always carry WAY more water and food than I need. (In fact, my friends have nicknamed me "Meals on wheels!") I also remember now that from Hay rock I could see a large lake, and being under Hay rock lying in the charcoal (is it still there?) and thinking of all that water. Are the signatures still all over the rock? One more question. (Sorry if my reminiscenses are boring) If I start from near Lambert's meadow and follow the prescribed route, how many days am I looking at? I am in decent shape (spend time in the Sandia Mtns here in ABQ from 5,000 to 10K feet)

Thanks so much for the info, and I will look for the book mentioned.

Hikerhead
04-08-2003, 18:21
I'm glad we helped. It's about 13 1/2 miles from 779 to Daleville using the new trail up to Scorched Earth Gap, 12 1/2 using the old trail (you have to look for it). The lake is Carvins Cove. Yes, the kids still have to write their name on Hay Rock. I did this hike two weeks ago in the snow. I stopped under Hay Rock for breakfast, well sort of.

Yes it an easy day hike or a nice overnighter.

The red roof you saw from the ridge line could have been the Pizza Hut.

There's now a Kroger, an outfitter, coffee shop and other stores 1/4 mile north up 220.

Groucho
04-08-2003, 19:49
No, it's not boring. Sometimes take a sentimental journey myself.

The trail hits the BRP not too far past Wilson Creek; the scouts probably hitched to Bobbletts Gap shelter, which is not too far from the BRP. Just wondering if you went as far as the James River?

I'm not sure how far you wanted to go on the trail. This site (http://www.thebackpacker.com/trails/at.php) has information on shelters and towns on route. Enter Lamberts Meadow shelter and Johns Hollow Shelter for example. This would be a 68 mile trip.

The Guidebook for Central VA is a good reference. It also has sketches of distant mountains from selected viewpoints, a nice feature. If you're taking a longer trip, start at 321 and catch McAfee Knob and Tinker Cliffs.

Many report that there is still a strange lady inhabiting the trail in the Roanoke area.

Jeff
04-09-2003, 06:59
Hikerhead,

How good is the outfitter in Daleville?

Hikerhead
04-09-2003, 07:12
It's not a hiuge megastore but, they have most everthing you would ever need .

I'm not sure if they carry alcohol, I've never asked.

Mark and the gang are a good bunch of people.

It's called "Outdoor Trails"

Mala
04-09-2003, 22:10
In "92, there was a women living in the shelter just south of Daleville. She told me she was Queen Elizabeth and that her husband was murdered by the CIA. "Okay lunch is over time to do some miles.//////' I told myself as I put my pack on. Later someone told me her real name but I don't remember it."

Outdoor Trails is a great place. I went to see The Other Ones in Roanoke with Mark.

hokiebpacker
04-12-2003, 12:53
Check www.ratc.org
They are the Roanoke Appalachian Trail Club and maintain the trail and shelters in this area. They have pictures of some of the shelters and some description of the trail. I have hiked thru that section several times (1973, 1976) and up to Dragon's Tooth and McAfee's Knob more recently. Very beautiful views and hiking but it can be pretty rugged, especially to Dragon's Tooth and McAfee's Knob. Note that camping throughout this section is limited to shelter areas and one or two designated campsites as it is National Park Service land, not national forest. I would always be ready to repeat this trip its that nice. One other point is it can be crowded on the weekends as it is popular with local day hikers and weekend backpackers.

Mala
04-12-2003, 14:24
That is a picture of her in the gallery. When was that picture taken? Is she still there?