PDA

View Full Version : bottle to platypus conversion question

ncmtns
08-22-2006, 16:07
I have used a bottle with a filter for many years but am going to try the water bladder inside the pack approach for awhile. Besides using chemicals to purify, what have you found your best way to fill your bladders in the field and keep out the floaties and squirmies from going into the bladder? thanx, bill

Alligator
08-22-2006, 16:12
I usually use Polarpur, but when hiking with a buddy/family I use a Pur(now Katadyn) Hiker. There is an attachment that screws right on to the platypus.

When using Polarpur, I place a small tea strainer over the mouth of a Nalgene Bladder. Then I'll fill the platypus.

Just Jeff
08-22-2006, 16:44
Use a dipper cup or bottle to fill the platy.

Footslogger
08-22-2006, 16:50
If the water source is not a flowing pipe I generally use a small cup or gatorade bottle to fill my Platy.

'Slogger

Daddy Longlegs
08-22-2006, 19:18
You will love having a bladder. I carry mine strapped on the top of my pack (easy to refill when need arises plus give me more room in my pack) also I carry a pur ( dont mind the extra weight for clean tasting water) to fill up the bladder.

hopefulhiker
08-23-2006, 16:40
I used a cut off Country Time Lemonade Bottle (Sgt Rock's coffee cup), last year, I used the top as a water scoop.

Footslogger
08-23-2006, 21:51
[quote=Boston]Platy + bottles is a combination that will destroy them all.

============================

Maybe it's the second glass of wine I had tonight ...but what exactly does that mean ??

'Slogger

Rambler
08-24-2006, 23:32
I am not sure from your post if you are giving up on the filter, but the Katahdyn Pur Hiker filter has an adapter, sold by Platypus, that allows you to attach the tube directly to the platypus. To avoid carrying the extra weight of water, I only fill the platypus with 2 liters. When I get to a stream at mid-hike, I fill a 1 liter bottle I carry empty in a side pocket with filtered water and drink it on the spot. That way I do not have to remove the bottle that is in my pack at all during the day. For camp I get 3 liters of water. That gets me through dinner and breakfast and leaves some in the bottle ready for starting out in the morning.
The only problem with carrying water in the pack is figuring out how much water is left, but I have only run out of water once.
I used to use Aqua Mira without a problem, but have swithched to a filter. We put enough chemicals into our bodies as is.
By chance I learned that my pack rides easier if the bottle in my pack is not directly up against my back. I put my pad between my back and the bottle. On my last hike in hot weather just this week, I also found that the water stayed cooler when it was not up against my sweaty back. In other words, I no longer use the pouch that was made for holding the water bottle inside of the pack. Always double check to make sure the top is on straight before putting it in your pack. Remember it goes in upside down. The only time I've had water leak out was when the top was not screwed on properly. Only the bottom of the pack and my bottom got wet, however! Ooops. Apologies to Aligator, he mentions the same adapter, note it is not made by Katahdyn, but by Platypus.