PDA

View Full Version : Ultimate Slackpacker $10,000 challenge

berninbush
08-22-2006, 16:16
DISCLAIMER: This is intended for a purely theoretical exercise. I'm not suggesting that anyone try this, and I certainly don't plan to myself. I'm just wondering if experienced thru and section hikers think it's possible.

Ok, here are the terms of the challenge:

1. You start out with $10,000 in cash.
2. You have the clothing you're wearing and your favorite hiking shoes/boots/sandals.
3. You carry nothing else. No pack. No sleeping bag. No tent or tarp. No water purification or food. No gadgets or gismos. Just your clothing and the cash.
4. You must buy, or rent, everything you need while on the trail. You can do this in trail towns, or from other hikers you meet.
5. Here's the catch: you can't carry anything with you. You can eat food while you're stopped, but not carry it once you start walking again. You can rent a sleeping bag for the night, but not carry it with you the next day.
6. You must at least offer to pay for everything you use. No yogi-ing. If someone insists on giving you something for free after you've offered to pay, that's fine. You can't use any form of force/ intimidation/ manipulation, however, to make someone sell or give you anything.
7. You can't pre-arrange a support team to bring you things. You must buy what you need as the opportunity arises, from towns and other hikers.
8. You're allowed to use shelters and things you find in the woods, as long as you follow LNT principles.

Yeah, this is a stupid way to hike. I'm not recommending it. Just asking if you think it's theoretically possible. I suppose the point is to figure out just how little you can get away with planning and carrying if you have enough $$$$.

Would $10,000 be enough?

Pacific Tortuga
08-22-2006, 16:34
Check out 'Poll' results on luxury slackpacking

Gray Blazer
08-22-2006, 16:52
Give me 10,000 and I'll let you know.

hammock engineer
08-22-2006, 17:25
Give me 10,000 and I'll let you know.

Make it 20,000 and you have a partner.

Frolicking Dinosaurs
08-22-2006, 17:42
Dear Lone Wolf and Jack,

I have an offer you guys may be interested in. I will pay each of you $7,500 (1/2 of the $10,000 + the $5,000 I would have to spend to hike it) to hike the trail with me while carrying all our gear. You must buy all our food using the money and provide me with a tent and sleeping gear.

Love, the female dino

PS - Jack and dino are not allowed to talk politics on the trail :D

Programbo
08-22-2006, 18:00
Would I be allowed to hitchhike into towns and stay in motels at night?

Sly
08-22-2006, 22:04
Dumbest idea I've seen in a long time.

Lilred
08-23-2006, 16:53
If you can rent a sleeping bag for the night, but not carry it with you the next day, then how do you get it off the trail? Are we to leave everything behind with each nights use? Hardly LNT.

berninbush
08-23-2006, 16:57
If you can rent a sleeping bag for the night, but not carry it with you the next day, then how do you get it off the trail? Are we to leave everything behind with each nights use? Hardly LNT.

No, the point is that you'd rent it from another hiker who is staying in the same shelter you are. Then you'd give it back to them the next morning. Or if you're at a trail town, you can just go in and get a room at a hostel.

StarLyte
08-23-2006, 17:07
Dear Lone Wolf and Jack,

I have an offer you guys may be interested in. I will pay each of you $7,500 (1/2 of the $10,000 + the $5,000 I would have to spend to hike it) to hike the trail with me while carrying all our gear. You must buy all our food using the money and provide me with a tent and sleeping gear.

Love, the female dino

PS - Jack and dino are not allowed to talk politics on the trail :D

.....would like to walk in your shadow please.....

sliderule
08-23-2006, 21:20
Yeah, this is a stupid way to hike. I'm not recommending it. Just asking if you think it's theoretically possible. I suppose the point is to figure out just how little you can get away with planning and carrying if you have enough $$$$.

In theory, it is possible to depart Springer Mountain penniless and arrive at Katahdin a billionaire.

fiddlehead
08-23-2006, 21:39
if you can't carry raingear, good chance you'd die from hypothermia before you get to Hot Springs, NC. Maybe even NOC.

sliderule
08-23-2006, 22:46
if you can't carry raingear, good chance you'd die from hypothermia before you get to Hot Springs, NC. Maybe even NOC.

Carrying $10,000, you will be lucky to make it to Neels Gap!!!

Frolicking Dinosaurs
08-23-2006, 22:50
.....would like to walk in your shadow please.....How about we cut you in and split the $15,000 three ways. I'd love to have some female companionship.

sliderule
08-24-2006, 09:09
How about we cut you in and split the $15,000 three ways. I'd love to have some female companionship.

I'll bid $5100.