PDA

View Full Version : Pad ?

Natchez
08-22-2006, 17:58
Hello all hope you are all well! I am new.

I am in the market for a new sleeping pad. I have always slept on blue foam pads and will continue to most likely in the HH. I am however going to be shelter sleeping soon and was trying to pick out a pad that was more comfy but still trust worthy. I am 5"11 175. I have been looking at the TR prolite 3 or 4 or one of the blow up insulated mats. I am a bit worried about failure with the blow up mats? ( what do you think) I am also trying to decide if I need a full length 72" or if 3/4 48" would be enough. I will camp in colder weather but most likely never colder then freezing.

Every Blessing

selahpeace
08-22-2006, 18:40
I actually JUST bought the TR prolite 4 for women today. I am 5'6'' and the womens regular is exactly that height, and i'd have to say that my feet actually hang off of that a bit, but i dont mind because of how much warmth it says it is going to provide compared to the regular large one. But, if i can give you any advice, do not buy the stuff sack that is sized with it, because you will never be able to fit it into the sack by just rolling up the pad yourself. I returned it, and i'm choosing to go stuff-sackless.

The womens pad says that it offers extra warmth in the torso area, and i'm a bit confused as to why my female torso needs more warmth than others, but i still bought it anyway.

dont know much else about the pads than this.
hope it helps!

:banana

Just Jeff
08-22-2006, 20:33
I've heard that women sleep colder than men, in general. Can't say for sure, though, as I've only slept in my male torso... :p (Of course, every body is different.)

You could use a stuff sack as a pillow and set it off the end of the TR so your feet could be on the pad. Your head doesn't have to be on the pad if you're using a pillow anyway.

I've used CCF (several types), insulated inflatable (Downmat), and self-inflatables (TR). If I were shelter sleeping in above freezing temps I'd go for the self-inflatable. Inflatables are too much trouble if you don't need the insulation, and CCF isn't very comfortable on a wooden floor. Self-inflatable is a good middle ground. Any of these should work in the hammock if you keep your shoulders and hips insulated.

dloome
08-22-2006, 20:49
If you aren't sleeping in temps much below freezing or on top of snow you really don't need the insulation of an inflatable.

Foam pads- Gossamer Gear pads are amazingly comfortable foam pads and the lightest on the market. (Torso length weighs less than 4 oz.) I highly reccomend them. I've used TR Z-Rest and Ridegrest, both are crap compared to GG's pads as far as comfort goes.

If you use an inflatable in a shelter, check for protruding nail heads. Go with a 3/4 length-you can put spare clothes or your pack under your feet, or bring a small square of foam that weighs an ounce and put it under your feet.

stumpknocker
08-22-2006, 21:14
Hey Bleach, I just got a Gossamer pad delivered to me today in the hopes that it will be warmer in the winter than my old Z Rest has been.....any winter experience with it???

Blue Jay
08-23-2006, 21:10
Blow up pads can last for a very long time IF, you always keep at least a sheet of Tyvec or plastic under them. In a shelter a nail head or on the ground a stick or rock, combined with your small movements all night, add up to leaks. Stumpknocker rules:banana :banana :banana :banana

Deerleg
08-23-2006, 21:35
I started with a cheap foam pad many years ago, used a inflatable pad for a while and went back to foam again. The Gossamer Gear sounds nice and if weight is much of a consideration its hard to get under the weight of a variety of foam pads. Good Luck and :welcome .

karo
08-23-2006, 22:27
I actually JUST bought the TR prolite 4 for women today. I am 5'6'' and the womens regular is exactly that height, and i'd have to say that my feet actually hang off of that a bit, but i dont mind because of how much warmth it says it is going to provide compared to the regular large one. But, if i can give you any advice, do not buy the stuff sack that is sized with it, because you will never be able to fit it into the sack by just rolling up the pad yourself. I returned it, and i'm choosing to go stuff-sackless.

The womens pad says that it offers extra warmth in the torso area, and i'm a bit confused as to why my female torso needs more warmth than others, but i still bought it anyway.

dont know much else about the pads than this.
hope it helps!

:banana

I have the prolite 4 and the stuff sack works fine. Did you roll it up like the stuff sack/pad recommended? That might be the problem. Also never leave your pad in the stuff sack while at home. I leave it deflated but open so it will not stay in the rolled up shape all the time.

Lone Wolf
08-23-2006, 22:35
Forego the shelters and sleep on momma earth. I do. You don't need a blow up thingy to sleep.

wakapak
08-23-2006, 22:42
I agree with LW, forego the shelters!! Even with a pad the shelters are not good sleeping in my opinion! I'm 50/50 about the pad though..sometimes i like it, others times i wake up next to it!

dloome
08-23-2006, 22:51
Stumpknocker- I will tell you NOTHING since you apparently thought I was a girl because of my hat early on my thru hike this year. :mad: I burn easily, okay?!

Anyway, I don't have winter experience with the GG pad yet. I used a Z-rest last winter on top of snow in -20 degrees and managed alright though. Thermarest claims a 2.2 R-Value for the Z-rest, and the old Mt. Washington pads the GG ones are modeled after were also a 2.2, so even if the insulation is the same, I still find the GG pad much more comfy.