PDA

View Full Version : winter hiking

Biloxi
08-23-2006, 01:52
can anyone tell me what I might expect..weather and temp wise on a september thru november warm up ,shake down from springer to??? atleast till weather got to bad..seeing as how it would be to late to go to katahdin..thanks:-?

Ramble~On
08-23-2006, 06:53
September - November leaving from Springer...2 months..
Elevation will cause flucuations in both day and night temperatures.
I'd say a safe bet would be daytime high temps anywhere from 80-40's
and night temps anywhere from low 60's to teens or single digits depending on elevation and weather.
Weather ? It can do anything...expect it.
Sept-Nov the Smokies could see snow.....(I hope so anyway) will see frost and the temps at night will be Brrrr cold.
I carry clothes that I can easily adjust as needed by adding or shedding layers.

bigcranky
08-23-2006, 08:34
November is my favorite time to hike, with October not far behind. I find the daytime temps perfect for hiking, usually anywhere from 30-60, and nights are usually below freezing, but not yet super-cold. (But be prepared for the low teens, anyway.) September is still fairly warm during the day, cooler at night, say 70s over 40s, so you'll find the weather getting colder over that 2 month period. Enjoy it -- no bugs, few people, great weather. It's all good.

Dust
08-23-2006, 08:42
Sept-Nov = fall hiking. I don't think you'll see teens at night even in Nov down south, even in GSMNP. Great time to hike.

ed bell
08-23-2006, 08:58
Sept-Nov = fall hiking. I don't think you'll see teens at night even in Nov down south, even in GSMNP. Great time to hike.A quick check of this past Nov showed several lows in the single digits in GSMNP during the last 2 weeks of the month. I'll agree it's a great time to hike, but lows in the teens are not rare. The lows were recorded at Newfound Gap and Mt. LeConte though, so I'm referencing temps at elevations above 5000ft.:sun

The Solemates
08-23-2006, 09:28
Ive seen lows in the teens at the end of september before in the Smokies. It does get that low...always be prepared for large flucuation in temps when hiking in the south in the fall.

scope
08-23-2006, 10:38
Ive seen lows in the teens at the end of september before in the Smokies. It does get that low...always be prepared for large flucuation in temps when hiking in the south in the fall.

Yes, be prepared to be hot during the daytime, very cool at night, although pleasantly cool I would say. The really cold snaps typically don't occur until after mid-Oct, but you never know.

If I were you, and of course I'm not, but I'd hike southbound. You're only going to see teens in the higher elevations of the Smokies and NC, and if you start in Sept, you're not likely to see it get that cold - mid-twenties maybe, but more likely to be well above 32. As you hike south into GA, you'll find the temps to be similar even as you're later in the season.

orangebug
08-23-2006, 10:44
I'd double what Scope suggested. Consider starting in Damascus and head south, with a fairly reasonable goal of Springer by Thanksgiving. I don't particularly like planning a fall hike in Virginia, NC Highlands in November, as weather can be very unpredictable.

Other considerations should be rain gear. Hurricane season can dump huge storms on the southern Appalachians.

Biloxi
08-23-2006, 13:19
thanks for all the info everyone has given..keep it coming..well here is my delima.I am doing a thru hike for 07 beginning very early march hopefully.but this may be pushed to very early april."expecting first grandbaby":eek: sometime in late feb early march soooo. start date is still iffy. but..I want to do some hiking and preview a little..I lived in NC before and have family around ashville and thought I could kill sometime and visit while doing some shake downs and want to start from springer and see how far I could get .I know I wouldnt be allowed to summit katahdin. and really have no desire to trudge through feet of snow . just want some distance and sights without freezing to death.lol:sun

ed bell
08-23-2006, 16:13
Other considerations should be rain gear. Hurricane season can dump huge storms on the southern Appalachians.True, these type events can linger for days. Not very fun, unless your trip entertainment coordinator provides lots of diversions for the endless hours that you are pinned down in your shelter.:)

vipahman
08-23-2006, 19:46
Even though it's fall to late fall hiking, you've got to prepare for winter/below-freezing temperatures without the snow accumulation because you can easily have 30-40 degree or more temperature variations within a 24 hour period especially if you factor in the altitude. So on a chilly 40+ degree late fall afternoon, it would not be unusual to have overnight temps in the teens.

On a positive note, there are no bugs and few hikers.

Biloxi
08-24-2006, 16:48
well for my warm up for my 07. I am hopeing to start at springer on october 9th and head north..no real plans ..no real destination.. just get to near ashville NC. and call for some family to pick me up and spend some time with them. would like for this to culminate around thanksgiving. I have the proper clothing..lots of layers with good materials.and weight. I have a fully loaded pack, with 4,5 days food and prolly around 30 35lbs total.my tent is a eureka zeus 2 ..not quite 4lbs, a ridgerest reg. around 1.3 and a slumberjack 20 degree and a campmour fleece liner bag..says it adds 11 degrees and 21oz also I have a full polypro set fleece balaclava and some nifty fleece socks for sleep.. so do you all think this should keep me warm till then????:-?

Alligator
08-24-2006, 16:53
well for my warm up for my 07. I am hopeing to start at springer on october 9th and head north..no real plans ..no real destination.. just get to near ashville NC. and call for some family to pick me up and spend some time with them. would like for this to culminate around thanksgiving. I have the proper clothing..lots of layers with good materials.and weight. I have a fully loaded pack, with 4,5 days food and prolly around 30 35lbs total.my tent is a eureka zeus 2 ..not quite 4lbs, a ridgerest reg. around 1.3 and a slumberjack 20 degree and a campmour fleece liner bag..says it adds 11 degrees and 21oz also I have a full polypro set fleece balaclava and some nifty fleece socks for sleep.. so do you all think this should keep me warm till then????:-?That sounds fine. I used to take out a 20 bag and that campmor liner in the souther Apps during dec-feb. You didn't list all of your clothing, but thats plenty for Oct-Nov. You ought to even be able to leave the liner home. I wouldn't bring it during the months you mentioned. Note that I would have a light polarguard jacket though.

Biloxi
08-24-2006, 17:11
well lets see..I have 2 pair micro mess boxer briefs, 2 drylift t-shirts,2 pair drylift type shorts."very light". 2 pair x-static sock liners, 2 pair serius storm socks,1 pair terramar long sleeve top and long leg bottom silkwieght base layer.a pair of nylon pants lined in mesh" dont think they are water proof" proubly resistant though..and I have a nice warm columbia fleece. poly/ fleece gloves ..aswell as heavier gloves. a fleece balaclava and a knit mask if needed and a older LL.bean baxter state parka..nice parka..right now it has a wool type lineing but I am thinking of cutting it out and saving it just in case..and I will have some type trailrunners not sure yet..tell me what u think ..thx:sun

Alligator
08-24-2006, 17:27
Loose one t-shirt, one pair of shorts. I'd loose the nylon pants too. The parka or the fleece.

I'd have two polypro tops, a microfleece top, and my polarguard jacket.
One pair polypro long johns, fleece shorts, and either the 200 wt or the microfleece pants. Knit hat, balaclava in Nov., fleece gloves, fleece socks. 3 pair hiking socks, maybe one liner pair. Full rain gear.

I'm conservative in colder months too. I know you will get answers with less clothes.

I usually hike in shorts that time of year with a long sleeve top. I might use a t-shirt though, especially early Oct. I like to sit outside my bag too at night. I carry the 200 wt pants in Nov and a lighter microfleece pair in Oct. I also have rain pants. I find there is a definite switch in temp between Oct and Nov. I have hiked before in Oct with a PL1 vest instead of the jacket.

The Solemates
08-25-2006, 08:21
Loose one t-shirt, one pair of shorts. I'd loose the nylon pants too. The parka or the fleece.

I think you meant "lose". Sorry, I'm anal rententive. :)

John B
08-25-2006, 08:32
I've always wondered about this, but when hiking in cold temps, if it rains or you sweat enough for your hiking clothes to get wet, you change into dry clothes once you reach your camp site. BUT by the morning, if the wet clothes haven't dried out, do you then change out of the dry clothes and back into the wet stuff?

I'm assuming that you would because if you wore the dry clothes and they got wet, then you'd face having no dry stuff left. I can see hiking in damp clothes because walking would probably keep you warm enough, but being stationary in damp clothes, trying to cook, etc. doesn't sound fun at all.

I'm going to hike from Hot Springs to Erwin, Nov. 28 - Dec. 3 and would really appreciate good advice.

So what's the answer?

scope
08-25-2006, 08:59
I've always wondered about this, but when hiking in cold temps, if it rains or you sweat enough for your hiking clothes to get wet, you change into dry clothes once you reach your camp site. BUT by the morning, if the wet clothes haven't dried out, do you then change out of the dry clothes and back into the wet stuff?
So what's the answer?

Yes, wear the wet clothes - this is why its so important to wear stuff that dries easily. From what I've read, this is one of the greatest mental hurdles in completing a thru.

Alligator
08-25-2006, 09:22
I think you meant "lose". Sorry, I'm anal rententive. :)Loosen up;) !

StarLyte
08-25-2006, 09:36

I'm assuming that you would because if you wore the dry clothes and they got wet, then you'd face having no dry stuff left. I can see hiking in damp clothes because walking would probably keep you warm enough, but being stationary in damp clothes, trying to cook, etc. doesn't sound fun at all.

I'm going to hike from Hot Springs to Erwin, Nov. 28 - Dec. 3 and would really appreciate good advice.

So what's the answer?

There is no doubt that I would put those wet clothes back on.

Think about it.

According to your dates, looks like you'll miss Thanksgiving dinner at Miss Janet's.

bigcranky
08-25-2006, 11:20
Wake up, make some coffee and breakfast, and start packing up your gear. At the last possible moment, when you are done eating and otherwise ready to go, put on your damp, smelly hiking clothes, finish packing, and hit the trail. You'll warm up pretty quickly as you start walking, and your dry clothes are packed away for your next campsite.

John B
08-25-2006, 11:55
Thanks for the info. And I didn't mean to hijack the thread.

I'm in the process of ordering winter hiking clothes and I've quickly found there is a huge variety, which is great if you know what you're doing but confusing if you don't.

vipahman
08-25-2006, 13:17
There is no doubt that I would put those wet clothes back on.

Think about it.

I wouldn't. I'd focus on sweat management and hike out of the trail to the nearest town to dry my clothes. IMHO, you want to conserve body heat. Wearing wet clothes in the cold can start a dangerous hypothermic cycle.

If I was really in the wilderness (2 or more days away), I'd still try to get the wet set dry. Fire perhaps. Body heat can be great dryer as long as you have the security of a tent/bag.

In reality there are usually a lot more combinations possible due to intraday temperature and humidity variations unless you are in an extreme winter weather zone.

YMMV.

Time To Fly 97
08-25-2006, 13:51
Wake up, make some coffee and breakfast, and start packing up your gear. At the last possible moment, when you are done eating and otherwise ready to go, put on your damp, smelly hiking clothes, finish packing, and hit the trail. You'll warm up pretty quickly as you start walking, and your dry clothes are packed away for your next campsite.

I concur with BigCranky and Starlyte on this subject. I think it is a best practice to always try to keep a dry set of clothes for camp in addition to a dry sleeping bag. Putting wet clothes on in cold weather as you leave camp can be very uncomfortable, but you do warm up quickly (even in cold temps). Your clothes will dry faster on you than blowing in the wind.

The post about going into town or setting up a fire to dry the clothes is unrealistic if you want to make any real progress. The fire drying is usually done at camp and jetting out to a town every time your clothes get wet is a practice that you will quickly evolve past once you realize that it is MUCH more fun to hike than watch TV in the Econ-O-Wash.

Happy hiking!

TTF

hammock engineer
08-25-2006, 14:05
I agree with the above.

On the canoe trips I have went swimming in some synthic tops (not always intentionally). I would take them off and ring them out throughly. I would put them back on and they would be fairly dry and still warm.

This was not on winter trips but I think the same concept applies. They should only be damp and not soaking wet. Put a windbreaker layer on overtop and you should be fine. If you start to feel too cold, stop break out the shelter and warm up.

johnny quest
08-25-2006, 14:21
i love winter hiking. the secret is layers (regardless of material) and taking it slow. if you never sweat you never have to worry about the cool down.
im still a fan of wool, myself.

Biloxi
08-25-2006, 15:01
tell me which bag should I take?? I had originaly planned on takeing a 20'degree synthetic, then thought maybe a 0'degree synthetic..but I am starting in october from springer and may just keep going..so now I am wondering about a - 20' degree synthetic all are slumberjack..input please:-?

Alligator
08-25-2006, 15:20
tell me which bag should I take?? I had originaly planned on takeing a 20'degree synthetic, then thought maybe a 0'degree synthetic..but I am starting in october from springer and may just keep going..so now I am wondering about a - 20' degree synthetic all are slumberjack..input please:-?I have that -20 Slumberjack, it would be way overkill. It's pretty large too. If the 20 is in good shape, I think you have enough clothes coupled with a tent to do just fine. You could keep that liner waiting to mail out if you start to run into cold weather.

vipahman
08-25-2006, 16:30
tell me which bag should I take?? I had originaly planned on takeing a 20'degree synthetic, then thought maybe a 0'degree synthetic..but I am starting in october from springer and may just keep going..so now I am wondering about a - 20' degree synthetic all are slumberjack..input please:-?
-20 is overkill
0 will keep you very toasty
20 is borderline miniumum

If the weight difference between 0 and 20 is minimal, I'd take the 0.

-Avi

vipahman
08-25-2006, 16:32
I should add that I carry a 0 bag in Dec-Feb on the AT (PA-MA region).

Biloxi
08-25-2006, 16:38
ok..well I think I have decided.. on a 10'degree synthetic and bring my fleece lined bag liner,which adds like +11..the bag weight is 3.5 and the liner is 1.5..should take me down to pretty cold temps and I can use the liner as a light bag ..feed back please:-?

Biloxi
08-25-2006, 16:46
I know that is 5lbs of bags,.. but if I need it..would rather have it than send 4 it..if its not needed then it can be used as extra padding under my bag or a pretty good pillow..or if by some chance it is warm then 10' would be smokein..just use the liner

kncats
08-25-2006, 18:04
ok..well I think I have decided.. on a 10'degree synthetic and bring my fleece lined bag liner,which adds like +11..the bag weight is 3.5 and the liner is 1.5..should take me down to pretty cold temps and I can use the liner as a light bag ..feed back please:-? It's been my experience that the temperature ratings of most liners are pretty optimistic. If you really think you need a zero degree bag I wouldn't count on a liner making it into one YMMV.

Egads
08-25-2006, 20:23
I have found that I can dry my wet clothes by changing into dry clothes in camp, then wearing my wet clothes over the top. They are dry by morning w/o chilling me. Then change back into your hiking clothes. REPEAT as often as desired.

Also, you can put damp clothes in the sleeping bag to dry out.

However, IMO the best course of action is to layer your clothes and not overheat and get wet (leave the cotton at home).