PDA

View Full Version : flying to manchester nh

neo
08-23-2006, 10:22
i am flying to manchester new hampshire on sept 12 th then catching a bus to gorham nh.i am hiking south from gorham nh to kinsman notch nh.
then i am filling in a gap i have between dalton mass and manchester center vermont.

will i have any problems carrying my jet boil and my swiss army knife in my gear.

will i be able to hike from gorham to kinsman notch in 7 days,from springer to to dalton mass i hiked 20 to 25 miles a day,i am shooting 12 to 14 miles a day in the whites:cool: neo

Gray Blazer
08-23-2006, 10:41
Hi Neo, I don't know much about the area you are hiking in. Hopefully you will see some brilliant fall colors (Something I look forward to seeing some day, we don't get that seasonal change here in FL) You mentioned the Whites. Will you be doing the Presidentials, also? I do know a little about Mt Washington. I have been up it 3 out of the five ways you can get up there, hiking, car and cog mountain railway. It is a little disconcerting when you get to tree level and you see the big sign WARNING-THE AREA AHEAD HAS THE WORST WEATHER IN THE WORLD-MANY PEOPLE HAVE DIED-IF THE WEATHER LOOKS BAD TURN BACK NOW! Hopefully yu'll have great weather. Have fun and be careful.

Gray Blazer
08-23-2006, 11:33
Oh yeah, BTW, the Willey House at Crawford Notch was owned and operated by my ancestors (Obviously not my direct ancestors since they were wiped out by a landslide).

TJ aka Teej
08-23-2006, 12:12
will i have any problems carrying my jet boil and my swiss army knife in my gear.

Call ahead to the airport you're flying out from. Carry-on or stowed have differnt rules. No fuel, right?

StarLyte
08-23-2006, 12:30
Call ahead to the airport you're flying out from. Carry-on or stowed have differnt rules. No fuel, right?

Right. No fuel.

MedicineMan
08-23-2006, 13:25
have an awesome time....i'm planning on the Whites next September so everything you report back will help us other section hikers.

Peaks
08-23-2006, 18:58
If you want to be sure that your stove is there, ship it ahead UPS ground. The guy on the phone who tells you it's OK will not be there when your baggage is checked.

neo
08-23-2006, 20:10
If you want to be sure that your stove is there, ship it ahead UPS ground. The guy on the phone who tells you it's OK will not be there when your baggage is checked.

:) sounds good to me,thanks:cool: neo

wakapak
08-23-2006, 21:51
The Whites!! My homeland!! How i miss those mountains!! Enjoy the heck outta them, they are beautiful, and hopefully there will be the start of the fall colors!! I will be hiking around Galehead and the Twins the weekend of the 22nd...cannot wait!
I agree with what others said, either call the airport or just ship your stove ahead...who knows what the rules are these days with flying, they change so quickly!! Enjoy!

oruoja
08-24-2006, 11:56
New England airports are a bit more sensitive to security issues. Also, MHT is a popular alternative to using Logan in Boston and has grown substantially over the past few years, hence, I am sure if you were to later depart from there the best course would be to mail anything questionable ahead to your destination.

Gray Blazer
08-24-2006, 12:36
In London they took a look at my pocket knife, asked if it was a switchblade and let me keep it. Going through customs in Maine they took it away and gave it to the Captain. Before we got to Miami I asked for it back and they gave it back to me before the plane landed. Good thing I'm not a hijacker although I fit the profile (short, dumpy, old white man).

illusionistG
08-24-2006, 14:58
Neo...I was just up there while on R&R from Iraq. I'm a volunteer trail maintainer for the AMC (Huntington Ravine Trail that feeds up to Mt. Washington) I also flew into MHT as well. Couple of notes to help...

1. It will take you 1.5-2 hours to bus to Gorham
2. You should have no problem checking in your Jetboil in check baggage or carry-on. If you want, you can leave the fuel cannister(s) at home and purchase them in Gorham. They have a couple of outfitters that sell them.
3. Be ready for cool-cold nights and early mornings. My son and I summited Mt. Lafayette on the Franconia ridge trail (AT) on 18 Aug. and it was 45F at 0600 when we started the climb. Also, two days earlier Mt. Washington had hail mixed with wet snow.
4. Mileage will depend on weather and how good trail shape you're in. The AT in the Whites is one of extreme up & downs with lots and lots of rocks. expect 8-12 mile days to be best.
5. The huts are day hikes apart but the AMC charges an arm and a leg. The Croos try to help with "work for stay" to thrus. Tent/campsites charge $8.00 with Eliza Brook having "No Fee"

Hope this helps. A lot of folks when they get to Franconia Notch hitch into Woodstock for a zero. Go to the local Woodstock Microbrewery and have the Ale. Once you reach Kinsman Notch you can hitch east on Rt. 112 back to Woodstock and end your segment with another Woodstock Ale capper !!!!!
Best of luck.

Rambler
08-24-2006, 23:07
http://www.outdoors.org/lodging/huts/index.cfm

MedicineMan
08-25-2006, 00:09
to slack all of the Whites?
i.e. staying at the huts and doing 8-10miles per day.....
I am guessing to do this reservations are required--so can they be made at each of the huts beforehand? I love to hike the trail but was never in love with the backpack.....so slacking the Whites is it possible?