PDA

View Full Version : When during a NOBO March thru-hike do bugs become an issue?

nano
08-23-2006, 15:22
When do the flies and bugs really start to come out and effect hikers?

Footslogger
08-23-2006, 15:24
Probably varies somewhat based on moisture and temperatures but in 2001 and 2003 the "biting" flies were out in force by the last 2 weeks of March.

'Slogger

Lone Wolf
08-23-2006, 15:25
N.Y /Conn./Mass.

max patch
08-23-2006, 15:30
Massachussets

mnof1000v
08-23-2006, 16:03
I didn't run into trouble till NY, but I've heard of bug issues in NJ being really bad as well. It's loaded with lowland marsh area, so that is to be expected.

TinAbbey
08-23-2006, 18:08
i was March 2006 and I first had trouble in New Jersey but it became horrible at some sections when i hit Mass.

mweinstone
08-23-2006, 18:52
everyone starts saying there going to get some deet as the first nats apear after damascus. but long into the north nobody actually slathers that foul tasting crap all over till the last, northern most moment. only after pa as long as your moving at at least 2ms. (twice minnisota smiths speed) then when you do first slather up, its like the grossest worst thing. keep your hands out of the water and dont eat without washing your hands. too much deet in your diet feels kinda like a half a can of scoll bettween your gum and cheek. with no spittune. i have a theory that you should only ever apply bug juice to the leading edge of your body. this concentrated streek of the crap wafts around as you walk or the wind blows. and it lets me keep track of where it is for removal. i think folks dont use enough . i like to totaly defeat the enemy and his will to fight.its a marine thing. usally i use enough to allways be slightly sick with a headache but bug free . you really have to make sacrifices when fighting wars.

eyewall
08-28-2006, 21:27
mweinstone...I like your attitude!! :)

dloome
08-28-2006, 23:24
Totally depends on how fast you hike. From being in New England the past couple years around bug time, the black flies seem to make their first appearance in mid May, mosquitos shortly thereafter. I started March 8 and didn't see any bugs at all until nearly out of Vermont but I hiked faster than most. I'll bet the average March starter would start to get them around New York, maybe southern New England. I stuck with my tarp the whole way, but at least bring a headnet and lots of Dr. Deet for Maine!

Frolicking Dinosaurs
08-29-2006, 05:56
May I ask a question of those familiar with black fly seasons? At what point in the fall do they cease to be a problem? After the first frost? Earlier? Later?

Peaks
08-29-2006, 08:33
May I ask a question of those familiar with black fly seasons? At what point in the fall do they cease to be a problem? After the first frost? Earlier? Later?

Usually after the first hot spell. This usually happens by late June/early July.

Jack Tarlin
08-29-2006, 16:04
Folks are affected differently by bugs. Some are very sensitive to them, some don't seem to mind them a bit.

There are certainly places south of Harpers Ferry that can be buggy (the gnats at Bryant Ridge Shelter in Virginia are notorious), but they're usually not a problem til you get to New York/New Jersey.

Over the past few years, the WORST area has been just past the Connecticut/Mass. border, esp. along the Housatonic River, and then in Southern Mass., in areas such as Pine Swamp shelter, Tom Leonard shelter near Great Barrington, the two Wilcox shelters, and near Tyringham MA. right up to Mt. Greylock.

If you haven't done so by, Kent, I suggest Northbounders pick up some extra strength Deet there or they WILL be hating life.

Smile
08-29-2006, 16:27
Over the past few years, the WORST area has been just past the Connecticut/Mass. border, esp. along the Housatonic River, and then in Southern Mass., in areas such as Pine Swamp shelter, Tom Leonard shelter near Great Barrington, the two Wilcox shelters, and near Tyringham MA. right up to Mt. Greylock.

Jack, you hit the nail on the head with your list, unbelievable up there!

zuluhartzbackpack
08-29-2006, 18:11
Buggs are always hell it just depends on the degree of hell were talking about...

mweinstone
08-29-2006, 18:54
and he finnished first this year.go to his journel at trail journels and read all his funny ass coments on being food for them.hes a devout christian like me but dosnt curse. so when hes being eaten he makes 'observatoins'. its so funney. no one appreciates the problem until a swarm of something trys to kill them. its kinda like how they have to gas a recrute in boot camp so they know the seriousness of being gassed. go to a place full of bugs and dont bring deet. while your running back to your car screaming you will at that moment know something about bug protection that other folks dont. especialy if its ticks. i know a spot in jersy where for two weeks you could film horror movies about tics.

woodsy
08-29-2006, 19:36
When they start biting, usually in May in the Northeast, thru July- mid August. The Deerflys really suck.

woodsy
08-29-2006, 19:46
Frolicking Dinos,
The notorious black fly is usually done biting by mid july in the NE kingdom.
The mosquitos continue to bite through August. The no-seeums(near water,usually)are still biting in August.