PDA

View Full Version : Western Mountaineering Summerlite

rswanson
08-23-2006, 18:50
Does anyone have experience with this bag? There's surprisingly little info out there in cyberspace on this guy...unless I'm just missing it. Specifically, does anyone know how it stacks up, performance-wise, against the WM Caribou, WM Megalite, or Marmot Hydrogen in terms of warmth? Thanks.

MedicineMan
08-23-2006, 21:19
I love the red and black color scheme....at 1 lb 3oz looks like an awesome bag....

Dhorochokaro
08-24-2006, 01:37
rswanson~
I own a Summerlite, one of the very first they put together (so I have been told). I have not had the opportunity to test the 32 degree rating living here in Phoenix, but if it performs as well as any other WM bag it should stay comfortable close to freezing. I am going with the Summerlite/silk liner combo for a thru next spring. Mine, however, weighs in at 21 ounces. I felt this was a one-bag-fits-all solution. For me it is light enough to carry all the way to Katahdin and I didn't like the idea (rather the associated costs) of buying an alternative bag. And like MedicineMan says, the red and black color scheme is awesome!

florigen
08-24-2006, 17:25
Have been using it this summer in the WMNF, seen a fare share of cool night time temps, once close to its rating, stayed toasty all night. It's a great bag with no complaints on this end whatsoever.

rswanson
08-25-2006, 14:50
Have been using it this summer in the WMNF, seen a fare share of cool night time temps, once close to its rating, stayed toasty all night. It's a great bag with no complaints on this end whatsoever.
I'm 95% sold on the Summerlight. How's the cut? What are your personal specs and how does the bag fit you. I'm 6' even and about 190 or so, I'm wondering if I should go with the long or if the regular length will fit me ok. That 59" sohulder girth looks tight, at least on paper.

Anyone else using this bag? Anyone?

florigen
08-28-2006, 21:08
Ended up getting the regular, my height is 5'10" and there is enough room to pull over my head on cool nights, width is fine I'm around 170, seemed like a narrow bag at first but after using it there is more then enough room to move around in.
Best of luck

GlazeDog
09-03-2006, 12:27
About sizing--I use the WM Hightlite. It only has the 1/2 zip but otherwise the specs are the same. I'm 6'6" around 205 lbs. The length is totally fine the large on both models is 1" larger in shoulder and hip width but equal at the foot width. The width was fine. I actually had to use a fleece bag liner I bought in Franklin, NC to keep from freezing during a late spring 19 degree spell---plenty of room for liner, ALL my layers of clothing, and me. The width is narrower but you will adjust.

That full length zipper is tempting me to trade up even at the expense of 4oz.

GlazeDog