PDA

View Full Version : suggestions for hike around mt. rogers

juztyn
08-23-2006, 20:22
Recommend me a nice 3 day hike around mt. rogers / grayson highlands. I bagged rogers a few years ago, but didnt get to check out anything else. Loop would be preferable (and what's a good place to leave vehicle?). How bout weather also? Thanks...

juztyn
08-23-2006, 20:32
i should add... looking at around a 50 mile weekend. i do have the NG rogers map, but wanting more of opinions on the trails...

mingo
08-23-2006, 20:34
go to damascus, park your car, get a shuttle to fox creek and then walk back on the a.t.

orangebug
08-23-2006, 22:37
Well, you might want to consider some of the blue blazes in the area, with LWolf probably one of the best in the area to advise you. Much depends on how much you want to hang around the ponies and such, which sort of limits your mileage. There are plenty of loop hikes in the area, probably surpassed only by Standing Indian area.

Earlier threads suggest Grindstaff as a place to leave a car. Bear Gap campground isn't that far from the AT. Have fun!

Teatime
08-24-2006, 03:12
Couldn't he use the Iron Mtn. Trail/A.T. as a loop possibility? Also, maybe the Creeper Trail would be nice as well.

Teatime
08-24-2006, 03:17
http://www.fs.fed.us/r8/gwj/mr/recreation/pdf/trails_table.pdf#search=%22mt.%20rogers%20nra%20we st%20end%20circuit%22

Lugnut
08-24-2006, 17:01
Park at Massie Gap ( you can leave your car there and it's safe since they lock the park at night) and take the AT as far as Old Orchard shelter then take the Lewis Fork trail to it's junction with the Mount Rogers trail. From there take the Mount Rogers trail to it's end at Deep Gap where it meets the AT and then follow the AT back to Massie Gap. The whole thing is about 30 miles if I remember correctly and is a good three day hike. You'll see the best of the Mount Rogers scenery and there are some great campsites just past Thomas Knob shelter.

juztyn
08-24-2006, 17:54
lugnut - does grayson have a reservation system like smokies? can you only camp at designated areas? thanks...

TIDE-HSV
08-24-2006, 19:47
http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=16614&highlight=Goad

Lugnut
08-24-2006, 20:34
lugnut - does grayson have a reservation system like smokies? can you only camp at designated areas? thanks...

Not sure what Grayson Highlands rules are but you will only be in the State Park jurisdiction area for a few hundred yards at the beginning and the very end of your hike, all the rest is in either National Recreation or National Wilderness areas so there are no camping restrictions or reservations required.

Maps are available for sale by calling the Forest service in Marion. The # is 540-265-5196

StarLyte
08-24-2006, 21:50
Recommend me a nice 3 day hike around mt. rogers / grayson highlands. I bagged rogers a few years ago, but didnt get to check out anything else. Loop would be preferable (and what's a good place to leave vehicle?). How bout weather also? Thanks...

Hi Juztyn-

I have suggested this hike to many people. First I think you should purchase a National Geographic map of Mt. Rogers, you can purchase one at Mt. Rogers Outfitters in Damascus-call ahead to make sure they have one. This will show every blue blaze and horse trail in that area, and of course the AT. I believe it also shows the Creeper. Who knows, maybe you can resource it online-not sure.

Park at MRO, get shuttled up to Fox Creek or up further north. Hike SOUTH back towards Damascus, hike the AT and all the blue blazes in Mt. Rogers. They are AWESOME. Remember you can't really get lost because the blue blazes go back into the AT.

I do not believe they show the water sources, but I can tell you that there is only one water source on one of those blue blaze trails, and that is the one at the top of Pine Mountain, on the Pine Trail. This trail would be 1.7 mi SOUTH of Old Orchard Shelter. Before the fence/stile at the very top of Pine Mountain, this blue blaze/horse trail is on your right. Pine Trail is exactly 2 miles long. Directly one mile in, there is a fenced in spring on your right---the water is ICE COLD. You will encounter feral ponies here as well. This trail will take you right into Rhododendrop Gap. Hike on the AT, and then south of Thomas Knob (Deep Gap area) there's another blue blaze/horse trail, you'll have to go over a stile to access it. It's about 2 miles long and it will take you directly into Elk Garden. Both these blue blazes are REAL NICE. They are interesting trails and you'll want investigate the areas while hiking them. Keep your eye on the blue blazes ;)

You will also want to check out the Creeper Trail if you haven't already. Plan on camping under the big Creeper tressel bridge next to the river -there's lots of camping there-real nice trout fishing too.

Okay I'm talking too much here.

Have fun. Good luck.

juztyn
08-24-2006, 21:56
http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=16614&highlight=Goad

hmm...

not sure what you are implying. but i am definitely not junetang, though his question was similiar to mine. thanks for the info guys.

TIDE-HSV
08-24-2006, 23:55
that I won't return to that area for a hike until I know that Goad is in custody...

juztyn
08-26-2006, 22:36
ahh ok. did lugnuts recommended loop. you sure it's 30 miles? i did it in about 8 hrs. wasn't blowing through it either. the ng map doesn't list at mileages...