PDA

View Full Version : AT hiker cast on Survivor Cook Island

Awol2003
08-23-2006, 20:23
<A href="http://www.cbs.com/primetime/survivor13/survivors/bio_cao_boi.shtml" target=_blank>h (http://www.cbs.com/primetime/survivor13/bio_cao_boi.shtml)ttp://www.cbs.com/primetime/survivor13/bio_cao_boi.shtml (http://www.cbs.com/primetime/survivor13/bio_cao_boi.shtml)

Cao Boi, a contestant on the upcoming season of Survivor hiked thetrail in 2003. I never met him, and he wasn't on TrailJournals or in the ATC list of 2003 hikers. The show (Survivor Cook Island) premieres Sept 14.

Awol
www.AWOLontheTrail.com (http://www.AWOLontheTrail.com)

<O:p</O:p<O:p</O:p

Pacific Tortuga
08-23-2006, 21:17
AWOL 2003 how is your book selling ? I really enjoyed it and recommend the book to a many of my friends, Thank You.

wakapak
08-23-2006, 21:43
Hey AWOL!! I met you in 03 doing trail-magic with Arrow up in NH!! Just got you book from my mom, who loved it! Hope all is well!
I wonder how a hiker will fair on survivor?!?!

Footslogger
08-23-2006, 21:47
Anybody know this guy ?? I hiked in 2003 and I never met or heard of him.

Aside from that ...he scooped me. Guess I got my application in too late. I wanted to be the first AT thru-hiker on Survivor. Oh well ...

'Slogger

Sly
08-23-2006, 22:17
Anybody know this guy ?? I hiked in 2003 and I never met or heard of him.

Aside from that ...he scooped me. Guess I got my application in too late. I wanted to be the first AT thru-hiker on Survivor. Oh well ...

'Slogger

I thought some kid from Nebo, NC that was on a few seasons ago was an AT thru-hiker.

Lugnut
08-23-2006, 23:40
I thought some kid from Nebo, NC that was on a few seasons ago was an AT thru-hiker.

That was Gabe.

Awol2003
08-24-2006, 13:09
Thanks WakaPak and Tortuga for the book compliments. Awol on the Appalachian Trail is doing great, and I will need to print more soon.

Gabe was in the show with Boston Rob, and was voted off fairly early. He did great in challenges, but failed miserably at the politicking. I think Gabe may have ended his thru-hike attempt early to take a job. Cao Boi's bio on the survivor website says "he hiked the AT in 2003", which would imply the whole thing.

Footslogger, if I worked for Survivor casting, I'd put you on the show! I also submitted more than one application, and it's frustrating to see some of the people who get on - especially the ones who say "I'm ready to go home now". There's such a diversity of us on the trail that there would be no way to categorize how an "AT" hiker might perform on Survivor. But I'd like to think that at least we would tough it out, unlike some of the incredibly clueless folks that they cast (how do they find them?).

Awol

TJ aka Teej
08-24-2006, 19:01
Maybe we should summit Team applications (they're doing black/white/hispanic/asian this season according to the link I just saw) so maybe they'd consider a MEGAs/GAMErs/MonsoonYear/DroughtYear theme :D

Skidsteer
08-24-2006, 19:59
Maybe we should summit Team applications (they're doing black/white/hispanic/asian this season according to the link I just saw) so maybe they'd consider a MEGAs/GAMErs/MonsoonYear/DroughtYear theme :D

Or the Jetboilers vs. the Alkie stovers. :rolleyes:

Footslogger
08-24-2006, 20:40
[quote=Awol2003]Footslogger, if I worked for Survivor casting, I'd put you on the show!
====================================
Appreciate the vote of confidence Awol. I'm not giving up. Who knows ...one of these seasons I might make the cut !!

'Slogger

Just Jeff
08-24-2006, 20:44
Hammock hangers will overcome! With JetBoilers a close second.

The Old Fhart
08-24-2006, 21:23
At least one member of WhiteBlaze has made it to the first interview for a previous Survivor.

Lugnut
08-25-2006, 00:45
At least one member of WhiteBlaze has made it to the first interview for a previous Survivor.

Was it you? Were you applying for the position of "the token old guy"? :D

HIKER7s
08-25-2006, 05:40
I made it to the 1st interview for the crew of Survivor Austrailia. I havent got close since in the 4 other times Ive applied. One of the people that was doing the reviewing said the make home videos and dont beef up the application with all your "survival" experience. They only want 1 or 2 per show who are exp in survival. They are looking for the wide demographics and the T&A additive. So, point being dont load up your appication on all your experience in the outdoors and survival skills, it cuts down your odds considerable.

The Old Fhart
08-25-2006, 10:26
Lugnut-"Was it you? Were you applying for the position of "the token old guy"?"I believe that is exactly the phrase I used!;)

MDSHiker
08-25-2006, 11:21
Ok, you guys remember that old show called "The Mole" ??

I got pretty far into that process and got cut. I've tried Survivor several times and have never gotten a response.

Pppfftttt !!

Pacific Tortuga
08-25-2006, 11:51
I hope this guy really did thru because investigative souls here on WB will check out the facts. Now that would make a tabloid scoop.

Sly
08-25-2006, 12:18
Doing Surivor would be nice, but I'd prefer the Amazing Race!

colbys
08-27-2006, 21:46
right on man,the amazing race is way better than survivor.well i better go lay some money on this supposed thru hiker,wonder what his odds will be.aras last year was the fav to start and he ended up winning it,those oddsmakers really know their stuff..

icemanat95
09-15-2006, 13:24
His real name is: Anh-Tuan "Cao Boi" (pronounced Cowboy) Bui

Cao Boi is a nick name.

Was there an asian "cowboy" on the trail in 2003?

Footslogger
09-15-2006, 13:28
His real name is: Anh-Tuan "Cao Boi" (pronounced Cowboy) Bui

Cao Boi is a nick name.

Was there an asian "cowboy" on the trail in 2003?
======================================

Hmmm ...never heard of him and I met a lot of hikers due to my pace.

Wonder if he was out sectioning or if he did the whole trail ??

'Slogger

Omarwannahike
09-15-2006, 13:32
The older Eco Challenges were pretty nice

Brrrb Oregon
09-15-2006, 14:06
right on man,the amazing race is way better than survivor.well i better go lay some money on this supposed thru hiker,wonder what his odds will be.aras last year was the fav to start and he ended up winning it,those oddsmakers really know their stuff..

Do you think they find out the winner in advance?

I do not quite get this "Survivor" thing. Stabbing other people in the back is not a survival skill....at least, not in an underpopulated society. And this "tribe" thing is so weird. The tribes are not remotely like any tribes that have ever survived. Besides, can anyone imagine thruhiking with a camera crew? They're all stocked up, fat and happy, sleeping on beds, and eating catered food, while you are the little human laboratory rat served up for the entertainment of couch potatoes. It is about as realistic as "Pirates of the Caribbean"....meaning, I can see the entertainment value, just not the advertising mythology. It's like something they would have done if the Roman circus was televised.

The amazing race, OTOH, is essentially "Type A Vacation". There are lots of people who journey as if they were in a race. That would be a lot more fun if there actually were a race going on.

(Forgive me. I do this while watching initial the crime scene assessments on CSI, too. "WHY THE H*** DOESN'T SOMEBODY TURN THE LIGHTS ON?" I know, I know....calm down. It's fiction. Mellow out or change channels....)

There have to have been thruhikers who have actually raced the AT? Or is it generally a "post the best time" thing? Anybody know?

Jack Tarlin
09-15-2006, 15:21
Oregon:

There are speed hikers every year who attempt to complete the Trail faster than anyone else.

As far as your question about posting the best time, nobody really keeps record of such things, as no responsible hiking organization or group wishes to publicize or encourage such hikes.

Likewise, there are folks who every year try to be the "first" thru-hiker of the season to make it to Katahdin. This often turns into a "race" with other hikers. I assure you that achieving this dubious distinction is important only to the one or two people a year who attempt it.

rickb
09-15-2006, 19:29
Cao Boi!

Dang, I am glad I clicked on the link with is bio. Before I did so, I was really hoping "the thru hiker" would turn out to be the guy pictured.

Definitely the coolest guy on the show (IMHO)-- for those who missed the first episode, my guess is that he will be a greater star than Rupert.

Interesting backgound, to be sure.

I was sure to root for hime before, but now it will be even more fun.

hikerjohnd
09-15-2006, 22:38
So have we figured out if he really is a thru hiker? So far no posts saying they remember him...

saimyoji
09-15-2006, 22:40
So have we figured out if he really is a thru hiker? So far no posts saying they remember him...

Whatever people post here, just 'cause no one remembers him, doesn't mean he didn't HIKE. And, just 'cause the bio says he hiked the AT in 2003, doesn't mean he went the whole way. Never assume, especially when a major media corp. says its so.

thecaptain
09-15-2006, 23:27
I personally know "cowboy".....he hiked from Roanoke to Damascus in "03" he can fix the hell out of cameras

Lone Wolf
09-16-2006, 07:54
The black tribe will win. They're superior athletes.

Big Dawg
09-16-2006, 08:33
The black tribe will win. They're superior athletes.

It ain't all about athletics. They didn't "represent" too well Thursday night. :eek:

Topcat
09-16-2006, 19:40
Didnt i read somewhere that Greg, from the firs season (the guy who talked into coconuts like they were cell phones) was a thru hiker of the AT?

Brrrb Oregon
09-18-2006, 13:59
Oregon:

There are speed hikers every year who attempt to complete the Trail faster than anyone else.

As far as your question about posting the best time, nobody really keeps record of such things, as no responsible hiking organization or group wishes to publicize or encourage such hikes.

Likewise, there are folks who every year try to be the "first" thru-hiker of the season to make it to Katahdin. This often turns into a "race" with other hikers. I assure you that achieving this dubious distinction is important only to the one or two people a year who attempt it.

As I'm one of those who looks at hiking as a way to leave all that behind, that is good to hear.

Wanderingson
10-11-2006, 08:47
Didnt i read somewhere that Greg, from the firs season (the guy who talked into coconuts like they were cell phones) was a thru hiker of the AT?

What's all this fuss about coconuts and cell phones on the AT? :banana