PDA

View Full Version : Double Rainbow Pics.

Heater
08-23-2006, 23:10
Check out this guys setup. Especially the extended windbreak! Very cool. :cool:

http://www.misc2005.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/htdocsindex.html/Gallery/misc%20pictures/Double%20Rainbow/index.html

hikerjohnd
08-23-2006, 23:18
Nice worm's eye view! Great pics! So this is without the double wall? I am still a bit foggy on that detail... The extended windbeak - also from Henry? Your own creation? How do you like a siliconed floor? I am always afraid it will attract dirt and be hard to clean so I have put silicone on my pad... your experience?

Heater
08-24-2006, 00:17
Nice worm's eye view! Great pics! So this is without the double wall? I am still a bit foggy on that detail... The extended windbeak - also from Henry? Your own creation? How do you like a siliconed floor? I am always afraid it will attract dirt and be hard to clean so I have put silicone on my pad... your experience?

Not my pics. It is without the inner wall that will be available but I don't think it is out there yet. The Windbreak was made from an emergency blanket.

Seems there have been some issues with leaking around the velrco areas and in the seam with the netting sewn into them. I'm sure if Henry reads this he will give an update.

mn-backpacker
08-24-2006, 08:35
Seems there have been some issues with leaking around the velrco areas and in the seam with the netting sewn into them.

The issue is the seam sealing. Most people are finding they have to seal around the velcro straps that hold back the vestibules more than once or they tend to wick water through. You have to seal them good, and then test it. If it leaks, seal it again and test - repeat. I think the ceiling clips are the same way - you need to pay extra attention to sealing them.

Once it's all sealed, you have a bad ass 39.5 ounce shelter for two with mor head room than you'll know what to do with! :banana

blackbishop351
08-24-2006, 08:49
Hmmm...it can't be THAT badass, can it? After all, you're still just "sleeping" on the ground.....:D

Heater
08-24-2006, 09:06
Hmmm...it can't be THAT badass, can it? After all, you're still just "sleeping" on the ground.....:D

There is a pic of one on the (cough cough) PB forum (clears throat) with both "porches" up. Pretty badass.

Footslogger
08-24-2006, 09:43
Well ...we've got one on the way and my wife is BadAss Turtle, so I think ours will be pretty bada$$

'Slogger

headchange4u
08-24-2006, 10:05
That is a sweet setup.

The Solemates
08-24-2006, 10:39
what is the point of all that extra mess?

Heater
08-24-2006, 13:23
what is the point of all that extra mess?

If you are talking about the windbreak, it would come in real handy when camping in an area the is consistanty windy like the coastal areas. I go to the gulf coast a lot and blocking the wind is a necessity if you're out there for any amount of time.

If you are talking about the "porches", it is about ventilation while having a place to escape the bugs and heat.

It has been over 102 degrees here for a couple of weeks straight. :eek:

mn-backpacker
08-24-2006, 14:40
There is a pic of one on the (cough cough) PB forum (clears throat) with both "porches" up. Pretty badass.

Hey... that's my tent your talking about. :cool:

For anybody interested in a whole pile of pictures of the thing, look HERE (http://www.practicalbackpacking.com/forums/showthread.php?t=836).

Scroll through the thread... there are more toward the bottom, and more yet on page 2.

Big Dawg
08-26-2006, 09:06

OK Keith,, don't even get me started about you burrito hangers. :D

I have an HH, and prefer the ground. The ground is quite comfy to me w/ a pad and a bag. Yea, the HH is comfy sleeping, but I just don't like the burrito effect,,,, I feel that way even w/ the sides pulled out on the HH. :D

The Double Rainbow,, simply incredible!! I still need to seam seal mine.

How was your recent trip, BTW?

StarLyte
08-26-2006, 09:25
Verrry nice photos MN-Backpacker!

This is my next tent. I've been talking about it too much-I better get to ordering one.

Thanks.

Heater
08-26-2006, 09:29
Verrry nice photos MN-Backpacker!

This is my next tent. I've been talking about it too much-I better get to ordering one.

Thanks.

I will wait til the gen II's come out. ;)

Footslogger
08-26-2006, 09:48
[quote=StarLyte]This is my next tent. I've been talking about it too much-I better get to ordering one.
===================================
Exactly what happened to me Stalyte ...so I went ahead and got mine on order. Should arrive today or tomorrow.

Course this will now become our 2 person tent and we'll have a Squall (original version) to sell.

'Slogger

Big Dawg
09-25-2006, 19:31
Seems there have been some issues with leaking around the velrco areas and in the seam with the netting sewn into them. I'm sure if Henry reads this he will give an update.

Henry, I'm finally getting ready to seam seal my DR and wondered if there were any tips you had?

MedicineMan
09-25-2006, 21:44
your pics show what this tent is capable of....
tips on seam sealing? go to tarptent and search there, every thing you need to know is already there.