PDA

View Full Version : Water purification tablets or Pump purifier?

Earl Grey
08-23-2006, 23:25
Which one would be best on a thru hike? There are pros and cons to each of course. Which one do you like and why?

hikerjohnd
08-23-2006, 23:33
I can't attest to what is best for a thru, but I can not seem to get the almost 1 pound of water filter out of my pack. I really like the instant clean aspect of the filter. I collect water in my sil-nylon waterbag and then use my filter to transfer it to my waterbag/bottles. The plus side of a filter - no sediments, no waiting for chemicals to work, no after taste. For me, a filter will probably find a place in my pack for a long time to come.

SGT Rock
08-24-2006, 00:01
I don't know about a thru-hike either (yet) but I plan to use iodine pills on my thru in '08. Small, light, simple, and you don't have to have the iodine taste if you use Vit C. And as for carrying? If I had to choose between a pound of already done fresh water ready to drink or a pound of pump, hoses, filters and stuff. I choose the water ;)

You can drink the water while you fill your other container and start walking again while it cures. No pumping or set up. No cross contamination, no clogging, no buying more filters on the trail.

It has done me well for 20 years or so. I've tried filter, Aqua Mira, and Polar Pure. But I keep going back to tablets.

hikerjohnd
08-24-2006, 00:06
If I had to choose between a pound of already done fresh water ready to drink or a pound of pump, hoses, filters and stuff. I choose the water ;)

Since I drink water like a fish, I keep comming back to this argument for ditching the filter. I just can not get over the convenience factor - and 1lb of water is what - a pint? I can drink that in three gulps.

My other reason for the filter - it attaches to all my water carriers - fast easy and no spills. I can fill my bladder while it is still in my pack!

SGT Rock
08-24-2006, 00:14
If it works for you, then it is the right thing. I would hate to try someone into changing something that works for them. I think the one thing I miss is being able to get watter out of a puddle by just putting a hose in it in pumping.

But I don't have a bunch of other issues because my stuff doesn't have any moving parts or parts to clog. And it weighs less than an ounce. After using pills for so long, I find it highly convenient and it is easy to take precautions against ever running out.

I start by drinking about a quart before leaving camp and make sure I have a quart with me. When I get down to half a quart I start looking for more water. When I find it, I fill a couple of quarts in my water bag or I just kill the half quart I have and re-fill the quart. That depends on water availability. Anyway, after I fill it, I throw in a few pills and keep walking. After about a mile it is drinkable. When I get thirsty, throw in the Vit C, give it a few seconds, and then it is good water with no iodine taste, and it is now charged with dysorbic acid and iodide (not iodine) so it even gives me some good mineral content in my drink.

When I get to camp, I fill up all my containers and start treating. That is enough for drinking in camp, cooking, cleaning, and breakfast the next morning with coffee and grits, and then cameling up again, plus having at least a quart left over for walking out the next morning.

mingo
08-24-2006, 00:20
take iodine. you won't need to use it that much anyway. the spring water is drinkable straight.

Daddy Longlegs
08-24-2006, 07:04
For me I am a water hog and I like to be able to drink right away so I use a filter. I carry a bladder that is 100oz which I fill up in the morning and sometimes in the mid afternoon.

Two years ago I was doing a weeklong section with a few friends who only use pills and have been doing it for over 10 years. At the end of the trip they were using my filter and said they would never use the pills again. One of the big things that changed their mind was at one of the shelters the sping was pretty dry and it would take about 10 minutes to fill up a small hole of dirty water which was enough for me to filter 32oz but they could not get any without it be all muddy. I tied a bandana around the intake and filtered all of our water. If they had been on their own they would have had to keep on going at the end of hard day or just been out of water for the night.

Footslogger
08-24-2006, 09:54
Which one would be best on a thru hike? There are pros and cons to each of course. Which one do you like and why?
=========================================

"Best" is the hard part of your question. You're correct that the different methods have pros and cons.

On my thru in 2003 I used AquaMira exclusively and found it to be very workable and not overly expensive. I didn't treat EVERY drip of water I drank though.

Since my thru I've been monitoring the different methods and have made a bit of an adjustment in my water treatment methods.

For weekend hikes I now use Klearwater during the day while I'm hiking. Klearwater works like AquaMira but is premixed and more convenient to use. Water is ready to drink in 15 minutes. Klearwater IS more expensive that AquaMira though so I wouldn't use it on a distance hike. If I did another thru-hike I would again use the AquaMira for regular daytime water treatment.

At night (overnight) I now use the Micropur Tablets from Katadyn. One tablet treats one liter of water and they cost about $12 for 30 tablets. They take longer (roughly 4 hours to kill ALL the bugs) so they are great for overnight treatment. They also keep the water container (4 Liter Platy) from becoming a home for nasties.

'Slogger

Time To Fly 97
08-24-2006, 09:55
On long hikes (and on my AT thru-hike) I use a Katadyn Hiker (was originally PUR). It held up very well and was worth the extra weight (closer 1.5 pounds when the filter is wet). I had to switch out filters twice on the AT. My system was to fill a large MSR dromodary with water, bring it to camp and filter my drinking water from the bladder. I just boiled the cooking water.

On the PCT, I used chlorine/hydrogen peroxide (gets chlorine taste out) system. This was successful in that I didn't get sick after a couple really questionable water sources, but the chlorine taste never really got completely taken out and as a result...drinking chlorinated water after a climb, just isn't enjoyable. It was significantly lighter though.

I now have a new thing. It is one of those Steri-Pen ultraviolet filters. I've used this on a few short hikes and it seems to work perfectly. It is very easy to use. THis is about 1/3 of a pound with the 4 AA batteries. I am concerned that the batteries would die on me in the cold - haven't experimented enough yet so far...but there is plenty of power to filter water for 4 days in chilly weather.

Happy hiking!

TTF

johnny quest
08-24-2006, 10:11
anybody got any word on polar pure? ive plenty of experience with tablets and filters (uhh...no.) but not the little brown bottle.

UncleEd
08-24-2006, 11:10
Polar Pure vs. other chemical methods:
I've used Polar Pure (not so little brown bottle, 4 ounces) both in the Northeast and out west (Sierra, Rockies). I find it quicker and more convenient than pills, which can stick to the sides of the bladder, & often require lengthy, vigorous shaking to get them to dissolve. I also like the idea that the shelf life is essentially infinite, so I never need to worry about the one year shelf life of the pills, making it convenient for day hikes. Finally, one bottle treats about 2,000 liters for $12, (yes, that is 3 zeros), and one bottle can treat about 4 liters at once, which is sufficient for my wife & me. I'm generally refilled & ready to hike before my filter carrying friends, and even before my Aqua - Mira or Mioxx toting buddies, as I need to spend less time playing Mr. Wizard with the chemistry set.
Granted, it has all the limitations of chemical methods (Crytosporidium, silty water, minor taste which may put off some people, etc.)
Ed

johnny quest
08-24-2006, 11:53
i have bought it and was going to take it on this upcoming 100 mile canoe race but at the last minute switched back to old iodine tabs. probably wont use them anyway.

looking forward to a 6 day trip this fall and trying polar pure out

hammock engineer
08-24-2006, 12:03
On long hikes (and on my AT thru-hike) I use a Katadyn Hiker (was originally PUR). It held up very well and was worth the extra weight (closer 1.5 pounds when the filter is wet). I had to switch out filters twice on the AT. My system was to fill a large MSR dromodary with water, bring it to camp and filter my drinking water from the bladder. I just boiled the cooking water.

On the PCT, I used chlorine/hydrogen peroxide (gets chlorine taste out) system. This was successful in that I didn't get sick after a couple really questionable water sources, but the chlorine taste never really got completely taken out and as a result...drinking chlorinated water after a climb, just isn't enjoyable. It was significantly lighter though.

I now have a new thing. It is one of those Steri-Pen ultraviolet filters. I've used this on a few short hikes and it seems to work perfectly. It is very easy to use. THis is about 1/3 of a pound with the 4 AA batteries. I am concerned that the batteries would die on me in the cold - haven't experimented enough yet so far...but there is plenty of power to filter water for 4 days in chilly weather.

Happy hiking!

TTF

I looked into the Strei-Pens when I was buying my filter. They seem really good, except for the fact they do not work well on muddy or cloady water. I figured I might run into some of that.

I now use the first need purifier. Probibly overkill, but I like instant water. The filter only lasts for about 125 gallons and weighs a little over a pound, but it on-chemically removes everything. Like everything else, good and bad.

Pacific Tortuga
08-24-2006, 12:13
johnny quest I thought your avatar was funny the first few times I saw it, now :confused: I like my water clean looking and that does not mean its safe to drink Next year I plan on using a filter with some kind of light weight back-up. During the hike I may switch and implement just one of them I want to stay open for change and tweek things as I go.

mnof1000v
08-24-2006, 13:02
I use potable aqua plus (which is iodine followed by vit c). I like my system, and I drink TONS of water.

I notice many hikers who carry a filter also cary some sort of chemical backup, either aquamira or bleach or iodine, in case of filter failure. The way I see it, why not ditch the filter, and just carry the chemical treatment. Unless you run out of tablets, you can't run into equipment failure with iodine. It's pretty much the same argument you run into for alcohol stoves with moving parts. The last thing you want out in the field is your equipment to break down. Redundant equipment adds weight.

Ender
08-24-2006, 14:12
I use a different chemical system than already mentioned...

http://www.rei.com/online/store/ProductDisplay?storeId=8000&catalogId=40000008000&productId=9044356&parent_category_rn=4500460&vcat=REI_SSHP_CAMPING_TOC

I've used this stuff on 1200+ miles of the PCT, 200+ miles on the AT, and various other hikes and never been sick. Essentially it's a chlorine treatment, like you get with city water. The benefit over Polar Pure is that there's no iodine taste. So far, it's worked for me.

max patch
08-24-2006, 14:22
On short hikes I use a filter because the water tastes better than using the iodine tablets. I always carry tablets as a backup.

On long hikes I always have good intentions and start off with a filter but always end up mailing it home as the tablets are much easier and quicker to use.

My reason for wanting to use a filter on long hikes is the uncertainty of the effect of long term iodine use on the body. Use of a filter would be be "smart" because of this potential problem which may -- or may not -- manifest itself years later.

SGT Rock
08-24-2006, 14:57
Hey Max, we talked about this a while back. If you add Vit C you neutralize the iodine and turn it into another chemical which is dysorbic acid - a beneficial vitamin too. Also, you do need some iodine in your diet, and a couple of sources I found stated that iodine intake is getting too low in the US since everyone got on the low sodium diets. So you are probably just fine, and if you really worry get some vit C for your water or add some drink mix with Vit C in it.

max patch
08-24-2006, 15:08
Thanks for the info, Rock. Thats interesting; I always just assumed that adding the C merely masked the taste of the iodine. Thats good to know.

greentick
08-24-2006, 15:21
I use the katadyn hike pro. I prefer chunk-free water. You do have to take care to avoid cross contamination of your hoses but it is not that much of a hassle. If you can wipe your butt and keep s*** off of your hands you can do it.

I like that you can hook it up to your bladder and fill it without have to remove it from your pack. 48 pumps to the liter - like clockwork. Someone made a good point about the "wet" weight. Dry it's like 11oz. I will have to throw it on the scale after the next hike.

I do carry katadyn micropur as a back up and have had to use it. Working for Uncle Sam, I used iodine for several years without ill effect <twitch-twitch> as far as I know. Would use it again if the situation dictated. This also helped form my opinion on filters and chunk free water. Throw in a bout of giardia too.

On my last hike we actually dammed up a little trickle coming out of the rock to make a muddy puddle that we dropped the hose into - worked great. Drank it immediately and it was ice cold. Sweet.

icemanat95
08-24-2006, 15:35
I'm a filter user. I like to be able to drink right away.

MSR Miniworks or PUR Scout/Guide

johnny quest
08-24-2006, 15:39
johnny quest I thought your avatar was funny the first few times I saw it, now :confused:
i understand. truthfully, i would have dumped it after a day or two but several people expressed desires for the pc police to "correct" my choice of avatar so i kept it out of spite. funny thing is....i got it off wildblaze's selection. it's not my own. so blame rock and attroll!!!!:banana

Alligator
08-24-2006, 15:47
Hey Max, we talked about this a while back. If you add Vit C you neutralize the iodine and turn it into another chemical which is dysorbic acid - a beneficial vitamin too. Also, you do need some iodine in your diet, and a couple of sources I found stated that iodine intake is getting too low in the US since everyone got on the low sodium diets. So you are probably just fine, and if you really worry get some vit C for your water or add some drink mix with Vit C in it.I think the iodine can still be a problem. Read the following

Question - Many backpackers and travellers who use Iodine to
disinfect their drinking water know that a little vitamin C will kill the
Iodine taste. What are the products of this reaction? In particular, are
they of any less concern than Iodine for long-term consumption? Or worse,
should we have any more concern?
-----------------------
Jeffrey,

Iodine is an oxidizing agent. Vitamin C is a substance that is easily
oxidized. When Vitamin C is added to water containing iodine, the reaction
that occurs converts iodine to iodide ion (I-) -- which no longer tastes
like iodine. In fact, it is the same ion that appears in iodized salt. Within
any reasonable limits, I do not think the backpacker's Vitamin C technique
will cause any harm.

Regards,
ProfHoff 481
================================================== ============
The iodine is reduced to iodide, and the vitamin C (ascorbic acid) is
oxidized to dehydroascorbic acid. Iodide is an essential mineral, and
dehydroascorbic acid is just as effective as a vitamin as the ascorbic acid
form.

The vitamin C turns into another useful product, but the iodione becomes the same ion as in idoized salt I-. So a person with thyroid problems ought to at least be careful.

The questions are, how much iodine is ingested using these water treatment methods and is it a more than the recommended daily dosage?

peanuts
08-24-2006, 17:13
I still use my MSR Waterworks......the original, I pro-deal it when I worked for REI....

RockyTrail
08-24-2006, 18:06
I have used Aqua-Mira, Polar-Pure, and Katydyn (PUR) filters.
Currently I'm stuck on the Katydyn filter despite the weight, the water just tastes really good to me!

Aqua-Mira leaves a bit of chorine taste like a city water supply, not bad. Polar pure leaves an iodine taste which I really don't mind...kind of like minted water. Both are OK as far as I'm concerned.

The interesting thing about the Polar Pure bottle is how it works. There are little iodine BBs in the bottle that dissolve slightly until the water in the bottle reaches a saturated solution; then the dissolving stops. It can remain in this state for years. You dump the Polar Pure water into the water bottle to be treated (but not the BBs) and then refill the Polar Pure bottle with stream water. After about 30 minutes the iodine BBs saturate the bottle again and you're good to re-start. Amazingly the BBs last for 2,000 uses. I can see how Polar Pure would be a good choice for a civil defense kit as you could store it for years and have tons of capacity in the event of a major hurricane or disaster, etc. It's just simple little iodine beads in a bottle.

hopefulhiker
08-24-2006, 18:06
Aqua Mira the whole way in 2005...

Earl Grey
08-24-2006, 21:05
After reading everything I think what ill do is use a combination of both. Filter the water into a hydration pack then every once in a while put some tablets in it to keep it clean and incase the filter breaks I can always use the tablets as back up. This combined with a multivitamin should be sufficient.

WILLIAM HAYES
08-24-2006, 21:51
I have used all options First need filter, Katadin hiker, etc but now am using Miox which I used in a recent section hike out of Damascus and prefer the Miox which is more expensive but exceptionally light weight .:sun Being a light weight fanatic I found Miox to be easy to use and safe. You can find the Moix at most on line outfitters try backcountry.
Hillbilly

dougmeredith
08-28-2006, 11:11
I now have a new thing. It is one of those Steri-Pen ultraviolet filters. I've used this on a few short hikes and it seems to work perfectly. It is very easy to use. THis is about 1/3 of a pound with the 4 AA batteries. I am concerned that the batteries would die on me in the cold

With my GPS receiver, alkaline batteries die very quickly in the cold, so you would experience the same thing with the Steri-Pen. You could try and keep it somewhere warm, or just go with lithium batteries. They are supposed to be fine in the cold. They are lighter and last longer, too.

Doug

headchange4u
08-28-2006, 14:58
I used to use chemical water treatments, but I bought a filter and never looked back.

I can't really fathom being without my Pur Hiker. It's so nice to pull water from a muddy creek and spit out clean, clear water with no iodine taste. I always will carry the iodine tablets for a backup, but I am filter fan all the way.

FLHiker
08-28-2006, 22:02
I just got back from a trip to Isle Royale. They say that all water on the island should be considered contaminated with hydatid tapeworm (a result of the moose and wolf population on the island.) The rangers are quite clear (at the mandatory orientation upon arrival) in telling you that no tablets are sufficient treatment, that all water must either be boiled for 2-3 minutes, or passed through a .4 micron filter. Since carrying that kind of fuel is impractical - it leaves everyone to use filters (I use the hiker pro.)

Has anyone heard of this parasite elsewhere - like in Maine or other areas with Moose and Wolf populations?

Amigi'sLastStand
08-28-2006, 22:24
I just got back from a trip to Isle Royale. They say that all water on the island should be considered contaminated with hydatid tapeworm (a result of the moose and wolf population on the island.) The rangers are quite clear (at the mandatory orientation upon arrival) in telling you that no tablets are sufficient treatment, that all water must either be boiled for 2-3 minutes, or passed through a .4 micron filter. Since carrying that kind of fuel is impractical - it leaves everyone to use filters (I use the hiker pro.)

Has anyone heard of this parasite elsewhere - like in Maine or other areas with Moose and Wolf populations?

No, FLH. Aqua mira is a miracle. It works on it all, just like their website says....:rolleyes:

Filtering is the only way.

How was your trip. Too bad you couldnt make ours. Check out the trip report.

FLHiker
08-28-2006, 22:40
No, FLH. Aqua mira is a miracle. It works on it all, just like their website says....:rolleyes:

Filtering is the only way.

How was your trip. Too bad you couldnt make ours. Check out the trip report.

Awsome trip - highly recomend it to all. Even had an extra day added when the good ship Wenonah couldn't cross the lake (8-10 ft seas.)

I checked out the report - looks like you had a great time - maybe next year - although I have to say that I think my weather (lows in the low 50's and highs in the high 70's) may have been a bit more comfortable!!:D

Jeff

Amigi'sLastStand
08-28-2006, 22:57
Awsome trip - highly recomend it to all. Even had an extra day added when the good ship Wenonah couldn't cross the lake (8-10 ft seas.)

I checked out the report - looks like you had a great time - maybe next year - although I have to say that I think my weather (lows in the low 50's and highs in the high 70's) may have been a bit more comfortable!!:D

Jeff
Nah, man. Other than the rain, it was perfect. Low 90s during the day, cooling rain, then low 70s at nite with a nice breeze. If I'd seam sealed my tent, I coulda cared less about the rain. Thinking of setting something up for October for us Fl bunch.

FLHiker
08-29-2006, 18:49
I'll keep an eye out for them.

Can't wait for the heat to subside!!!

Later,

Jeff