PDA

View Full Version : News Story on AT Hostel

rtfi
08-24-2006, 09:29
http://www.zwire.com/site/tab4.cfm?newsid=17103158&BRD=2553&PAG=461&dept_id=506086&rfi=6

Quoting from article:
“’There's five different people staying there seven days a week. They wander all over the place, and I'm afraid,’ said Darlene Snyder who lives behind Evans. She said that mistaken hikers often wander into her yard looking for the hostel, and that she can see them stripping and urinating in Evans' yard from her home. Neighbor Charlotte Ralston agrees and told the planning commission that she had seen Evans' guests wandering the neighborhood at night, consuming alcohol.

‘These people wander all over the place. Some of them are fugitives, there's good people and bad people,’ said Ralston.”

My comment: Fugitives? Really!?!

sliderule
08-24-2006, 09:55

It seems that no public debate can escape a bit of sensationalism. But it also seems that the operation would be in violation of the zoning laws even if the guests were traveling nuns.

rtfi
08-24-2006, 10:52
I think Eric Rudolph has been in prison for quite some time now...
(I remember seeing the "Wanted" posters for him put in the shelters in the Nanatahalas.)

Skyline
08-24-2006, 11:48
When Mike started Terrapin, he was not working as an SNP ranger. That happened later. I can imagine balancing a job with running a hostel would be really tough. To his credit, Mike is jumping through all the right hoops to keep the hostel going--and I seriously doubt it's for the money. Unless the county reverses itself, it seems like he won a narrow victory and Terrapin will live on!

I can also see it from his neighbors' point of view. The fence and (better) signage are great ideas to reduce their concerns. Better hiker behavior would also help.

hammock engineer
08-24-2006, 12:08
This place seems like it is ripe for one idiot to ruin it for everyone. Hopefully I am wrong, but it seemed like it barely passed and would not take much not to get renewed next year.

I'll have to add this to my list of places to visit next year. I always like to try to support small upstart places.

scope
08-24-2006, 12:34
‘These people wander all over the place. Some of them are fugitives, there's good people and bad people,’ said Ralston.”

I assume this has no basis other than the fact that we all look like fugitives after several days in the 'wild'.

BTW, I like your signature! ;)

rtfi
08-24-2006, 12:54
I figured since the AT goes through CT someone would find this quote funny.

(BTW I meant Nantahalas, not Nanatahalas, which sounds like slang for Bananatahalas.)

mnof1000v
08-24-2006, 12:54
I stayed there this season when I got through the SNP, and Mike told me about the situation with his neighbors. At the time, he thought there was no way in he11 they'd let him say open. I think the important thing to remember here, is that he's staying open. With the changes the county suggests, I think his neighbors will have little - if any - rational reason to complain. I do think it's a bit ridiculous to think that we're fugitives... People just don't understand, and they fear what they do not know.

Rainman
08-24-2006, 13:03
Unfortunately, complainers rarely impose the requirement of rational reasoning on themselves.

I stayed there this season when I got through the SNP, and Mike told me about the situation with his neighbors. At the time, he thought there was no way in he11 they'd let him say open. I think the important thing to remember here, is that he's staying open. With the changes the county suggests, I think his neighbors will have little - if any - rational reason to complain. I do think it's a bit ridiculous to think that we're fugitives... People just don't understand, and they fear what they do not know.

RITBlake
08-24-2006, 13:06
wow, never even heard of this hostel on my TH. I had an 04 Wingfoot, maybe thats why or maybe I DID hear about it and I just plain forgot. Whats the scoop? Does it close down for the SOBO season?

Skyline
08-24-2006, 14:28
wow, never even heard of this hostel on my TH. I had an 04 Wingfoot, maybe thats why or maybe I DID hear about it and I just plain forgot. Whats the scoop? Does it close down for the SOBO season?

2006 was Terrapin's fourth year serving NOBOs. The '04 Thru-Hikers Companion had it listed on page 120, after the sub-head "Compton Gap Trail." There was also a reference to this hostel on page 41 in the data listings. Ah, details...

Mike's season is, generally, late April/early May to mid-July. I have heard that he's assisted hikers at times other than this if he was around and his schedule allowed, but like many places that cater to NOBOs, Terrapin has been officially closed in prior years during the SOBO season.

Disney
08-24-2006, 17:42
When I stayed there in 2005 he mentioned respect for the neighbors in passing. It's the same standard that applies to all hostels IMHO. It's someone elses house so don't act up. I would encourage any and all to visit it. Is there anything we can do to influence the town? An address where letters may be sent?

hopefulhiker
08-24-2006, 18:00
I stayed there last year at Terapin Station, It was a great hostel, close to the trail. Mike offered shuttles.. Actually one of nicer hostels on the trail.... He has a bathroom and a laundry room.. I did not pee in his backyard......

SGT Rock
08-25-2006, 07:54
http://www.zwire.com/site/tab4.cfm?newsid=17103158&BRD=2553&PAG=461&dept_id=506086&rfi=6

Quoting from article:
“’There's five different people staying there seven days a week. They wander all over the place, and I'm afraid,’ said Darlene Snyder who lives behind Evans. She said that mistaken hikers often wander into her yard looking for the hostel, and that she can see them stripping and urinating in Evans' yard from her home. Neighbor Charlotte Ralston agrees and told the planning commission that she had seen Evans' guests wandering the neighborhood at night, consuming alcohol.

Some people let their imaginations run. I imagine this person is an elderly lady that worries the meter reader is trying to see her nekid.:eek:

adh24
08-25-2006, 08:08
My in-laws live in Lehighton, PA which is just north of Palermton, PA at the Lehigh Gap along the trail. They have that same idea of hikers looking like "fugitives" they are always worried about my wife and I hiking. I always have to remind them that after months on the trail you'd look a little rough around the edges to.

Alligator
08-25-2006, 10:00
I'm always hiding out from society on the trail.