PDA

View Full Version : Knife Edge

casteel
08-24-2006, 10:13
To anyone still out there (NOBO), or up and commers: If you have plans to be picked up at Katahdin Stream Campground, have it changed to Roaring Brook Campground and hike over the Knife Edge. The Knife Edge was the most incredible part of the extended trail in my opinion. And it seems like it would be easier going across the knife edge and down the Helon Taylor trail than back down the AT. Remember, you only have to pass all those white blazes once :cool:

DawnTreader
08-24-2006, 11:29
I concur... This works for Sobo too. I started my hike at roaring brook, up the helon taylor, over the knife edge to baxter peak, then down the hunt trail, and straight on till morning. The only problem is.. The Rangers at BSP don't like people taking this route, so you'll have to stick to your guns and do it anyway. They tried to talk me out of it, I think they thought I was incompetent, and I don't blame them.. However, it should not be missed.. Pomola peak was fantastic, and this route makes an approach trail, much like springers, so you don't have to hit the same blazes twice!! It truly was spectacular, the best blue blaze of my hike.. check out my gallery there are some shots of the peaks and knife edge..

Gray Blazer
08-24-2006, 12:50
I've looked at your pics before and they are great. This thread has made me go hmmmmmmm...... I can understand why the AT ends and begins at mountain summits, but, does it make sense for a trail that is supposed to lead somewhere to begin or end at a mountaintop. I know Moses in the Bible ended his journey on a mountaintop and was taken up by God, but, how many thru-hikers has this happened to (besides Bryson)?

TJ aka Teej
08-24-2006, 22:02
To anyone still out there (NOBO), or up and commers: If you have plans to be picked up at Katahdin Stream Campground, have it changed to Roaring Brook Campground and hike over the Knife Edge. The Knife Edge was the most incredible part of the extended trail in my opinion. And it seems like it would be easier going across the knife edge and down the Helon Taylor trail than back down the AT. Remember, you only have to pass all those white blazes once :cool:
:welcome Casteel!
Knife Edge is one of the most fantasic above treeline trails in the East, congrats for thinking 'outside the box' and adding KE to your hike!

weary
08-24-2006, 22:16
Casteel has a great suggestion, but I would add a mile or two -- or perhaps an overnight -- and take the Dudley Trail off the Knife Edge to Chimney POnd, which has easily the most dramatic mountain view in the east.

If you are lucky enough to get reservations, spend the night at Chimney Pond and head down to Roaring Brook for a final day on the trail. You won't regret it, I'm sure. There truly is nothing like the sheer headwall above Chimney Pond, east of the Rockies.

Weary

fiddlehead
08-25-2006, 00:49
Yeah, the knife edge is awesome. Only 2 problems, you should have someone to pick you up as it's a tough hitch from roaring brook. (we waited about 4 hours for a hitched ride) and the other is weather related: if it is looking like rain, sleet, or snow, the knife edge is not a good place to be when it's slippery. and great weather can bring out hordes on this trail which IMO takes away from the beauty. You may find yourself waiting while someone with little to no experience is attempting to traverse rocks which you could breeze up or down while you wait.
So, ideally, it is a pretty good day weatherwise, on a weekday so the joey's are working or wherever, and you have a planned pickup at roaring.........
A truly great exit

Rain Man
08-25-2006, 10:00
I always wonder why there's the debate about whether or not to hike the approach trail up Springer, but never nary a word about the same at Katahdin.

I still wonder.

Rain:sunMan

weary
08-25-2006, 10:16
I always wonder why there's the debate about whether or not to hike the approach trail up Springer, but never nary a word about the same at Katahdin. I still wonder.Rain:sunMan .
You can drive to within a mile of the summit of Springer, giving you an option to either walk up or drive up..

The nearest road to the summit of Katahdin is five miles away and there is no shorter option, only several longer options.

Weary

The Old Fhart
08-25-2006, 10:55
Here (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/showimage.php?i=12599&catid=newimages&cutoffdate=1) is a old photo of me, my daughter, and my nephew on Pamola Peak with the Knife Edge in the background to give you some idea what everyone is talking about. This is an impressive trail.

SGT Rock
08-25-2006, 14:07
Cool pic. Looks like something I must do someday.

DawnTreader
08-25-2006, 22:05
Weary..
Chimney Pond was amazing. I had an excellent day hike their before going up katahdin.
The key for me was getting up on the edge early. Most weather in maine shoots in the afternoon.. around 2 or 3.. I was off the mountain at 1:30..it started raining shortly after, but the weather for the hike was perfect! Avoided all the crowds too.
2 nobos, yoshi and redbeard summited Katahdin in time for sunrise..didn't see a soul.. ideal hiking is before noon.. avoid the weather and the crowds.. especially in BSP..

grizzlyadam
08-25-2006, 23:20
the knife edge is fantastic, especially at the beginning of a sobo hike. but, like dawntreader said, the rangers sure aren't keen on the idea. here (http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?id=82121) is a brief conversation that i had with the fine folks at BSP before heading to maine. and, here (http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?id=83240) is the day i crossed the knife edge to begin my sobo hiking on the AT.

Big Dawg
08-26-2006, 07:57
I WILL hike across the knife edge after I finally summit Big K. I can't imagine being so close to it & not hiking it. The pics are incredible.

fiddlehead
08-26-2006, 22:52
the knife edge is fantastic, especially at the beginning of a sobo hike. but, like dawntreader said, the rangers sure aren't keen on the idea. here (http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?id=82121) is a brief conversation that i had with the fine folks at BSP before heading to maine. and, here (http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?id=83240) is the day i crossed the knife edge to begin my sobo hiking on the AT.

Exellent diary entries. I can just imagine the ranger's attitude. Reminds me of when we tried to get permits by phone for Yellowstone. Even though we had been on the trail for 4 months, and were steadily doing 25+ mile days, they were insistant on not allowing us to try for 15 inside the park in one day. We eventually got the permits but actually didn't stay at one of the sites, just kept going and got out of the park. They just don't think it's humanly possible for folks to do 19 mile days for some reason.

emerald
08-26-2006, 23:41
The Dudley Trail from Pamola to Chimney Pond (a complete thought if not a sentence, isn't it?).:) Stay at Chimney Pond (reservations required) like I did on my 1980 thru-hike or hike past Chimney Pond to Roaring Brook Campground (reservations required) to camp or get picked up. The Dudley Trail reminds me of the Osgood Ridge Trail in the Presidentials of New Hampshire in that they both take a toll on the knees:(, but it's worth the price of admission.;)

Stay tuned for a great image of The Knife Edge from WhiteBlaze.net's Katahdin Gallery.

Later: I'm sorry to say I couldn't find it. Either it's not there anymore or it's located elsewhere.

:-? Maybe someone else knows where to find it and can post it. The image was shot near Baxter Peak looking toward Pamola. It was great!

emerald
08-27-2006, 00:02
I know Moses in the Bible ended his journey on a mountaintop and was taken up by God, but, how many thru-hikers has this happened to (besides Bryson)?

Never heard of one, but if he were a NOBO, he wouldn't have had to deal with those nasty withdrawal symptoms, but then who would be around to tell the stories?;)

emerald
08-27-2006, 00:25
Just a brief intermission while reading grizzly adam's 2004 Appalachian Trail Journal.

Did dingle, guy, and rooster pass you [grizzly adam]a rock from Springer to return from whence it came?

I've got 3 WhiteBlaze.net sessions open. This is wild!

emerald
08-27-2006, 00:38
Bravo, grizzly adam!

Nightwalker
08-28-2006, 01:35
Cool pic. Looks like something I must do someday.You will love Katahdin and Maine. That's a gaurantee.

Dawn
09-08-2006, 01:07
I agree the Knife Edge is spectacular. Something else you may want to consider is tagging Hamlin Peak too if you haven't been up there. Some people work on peak-bagging lists such as the Northeast 115. Hamlin Peak and Baxter Peak are both on that list. Plus, there are usually less people over on Hamlin Peak which also has great views.

Shutterbug
09-08-2006, 01:38
I've looked at your pics before and they are great. This thread has made me go hmmmmmmm...... I can understand why the AT ends and begins at mountain summits, but, does it make sense for a trail that is supposed to lead somewhere to begin or end at a mountaintop. I know Moses in the Bible ended his journey on a mountaintop and was taken up by God, but, how many thru-hikers has this happened to (besides Bryson)?

Your point is well taken, but your knowledge of the Bible needs some work. It was Elijah who was "taken up." Moses died and was buried in a valley in Moab. (See Deuteronomy Chapter 34).

The Solemates
09-08-2006, 10:27
i disagree. hike the hunt trail up (AT) if ending your nobo hike. the AT is much harder (and more fun) that cathedral or the saddle. then, hike the knife's edge down and end at roaring brook. awesome hike. just did it this past weekend.