PDA

View Full Version : Granite Gear Latitude

flagator
08-24-2006, 10:59
Hey all. I was wondering if I could get some help on selecting a backpack. I want to invest in a backpack I can eventually use for a thru-hike, but at the same time isn't too large for a week long venture. So basically I've been looking at thru-hike suitable packs that are on the small side. I really seem to like the ospreys, I tried them on at my outfitter. The aether 60 fit really well, but was about $280 WAY MORE than it lits as online. I saw some decent deals on ebay though more like $180. But I've also found a good deal on a granite gear latitude pack, it was made in 05' before they hade the vapor trail and nimbus, it is simply latitude. So i was wondering if anyone had experioence with this pack, and could share. I'm just wondering how they perform after heavy use on a thru-hike and if they are really that trusted of a brand. If not I'll invest in the orpreys. Plus the fact that my outfitter didnt carry granite gear. Thanks!

chicote
08-24-2006, 12:27
Granite gear makes quality stuff. Don't have experience with the 05 pack but I have with the lattitude vapor. It is awesome - if you like the panel loading design. The materials seem pretty rugged as well more than I would expect for such a well featured 2pnd pack.

flagator
08-24-2006, 12:51
thank you for your reply.im wondering is it sufficient and roomy enough for a thru? I know they don't make that model anymore, but i just want to be certain about it. It is the same weight and capacity of the vapor trail, but perhaps it was remodeled for some kind of defect. ANyone who actually uses this particular mode lcan tell me how it feels?

mnof1000v
08-24-2006, 12:58
I understand your concerns for space. But realistically, you're going to want as little space as you can get away with because less space means less weight. This season, I started with a roomy (and heavy) Gregory Palisade, but switched to a Granite Gear Vapor Trail (WHICH IS GREAT!!!), and that move alone shaved almost 10 pounds from my back. The Vapor Trail is less than 2 lbs, and its small volume forced me to carry less as well. If I were you, I'd look into the Vapor Trail... That said, I know and trust Granite Gear products, and I'm sure the pack you mention will do just fine.

scope
08-24-2006, 14:09
I got one earlier this year and like it. I bought it because I was tired of the black hole top-loading issue. The panel loading takes some fooling around with packing your stuff in it to get it right, but once you do, it really holds a lot of stuff.

I also like the simple GG pack design. I looked at the Osprey packs and it just seemed like there was too much going on, and the space/wt. ratio was not great. (although I love the old Aether 60). Some consider the pockets on the GG packs a flaw - I consider them to be much more flexible in terms of gear stowage than any other pack side pocket that I've seen. There is a compression strap that runs across the top of the pocket, and that strap can be rendered useless - not a big deal - depending on what you have in the pocket. However, it is never a hindrance to putting stuff in the pocket.

The Latitude does ride more on your shoulders than the Osprey would. The frame is not very substantial - same as the Vapor Trail which is used by many thru hikers. There are ways to pack it where the load lifters work better, but it still does not transfer the weight to the hips the same way a sturdier frame would. This is not a problem for me if I keep the pack weight down around 20 or less. If you were going to thru with 25-30 lbs or more, then I would suggest looking at the Nimbus Latitude which has a great frame for an additional 14oz over the Latitude.

scope
08-24-2006, 14:18
thank you for your reply.im wondering is it sufficient and roomy enough for a thru? I know they don't make that model anymore, but i just want to be certain about it. It is the same weight and capacity of the vapor trail, but perhaps it was remodeled for some kind of defect. ANyone who actually uses this particular mode lcan tell me how it feels?

Latitude = Latitude Vapor (one and the same)

note: the Vapor Trail is top loading and weighs 10oz less; it obviously holds enough for a thru since many thru hikers use it, however, the Latitude holds more in the bag, but you can't attach anything to the top of the bag as you can with the VT.

River Runner
08-24-2006, 14:53
I have a Granite Gear Stratus Latitude. It's a quality pack. It transfers weight to the hips very well, in fact almost too well, because I find it difficult to shift much weight to my shoulders when I want to give my legs a break (i.e. long climbs). This probably would not be a problem on a thru hike, when conditioning would be better, and it's relatively minor even now - I just get a little more tired on hills, but it carries well and I have never had sore shoulders or a tired back at the end of the day.

I don't particularly care for the panel loading, because it is harder to pack and keep everything compressed as you pack (I tend to use loose stuff sacks for my insulated items) and the capacity seems smaller than stated overall. It is a little weighty compared to some packs (over 4 lb), and I am probably going to look for a lighter pack later, but it really is a well built and quality pack. I wouldn't hesitate to go with a Granite Gear again.

mn-backpacker
08-24-2006, 14:56
I have a 2005 Latitude Vapor. There is no difference between this one and the "new" 2006 model, other than there is a new obnoxious color available. Personally, I love the pack, and the extra 14 oz over the VT are worth it to me, but may not be for all. The panel loading is a great feature.

HERE (http://www.frontiernet.net/~dmclec/misc_img/gglv-packed.jpg) is a picture of my pack all loaded up. The top of the picture is the bottom of the pack. You are looking at exactly 16 pounds - including the pack itself (so about 13.5 pounds of gear). Right after I took the picture, I decided to move the clothes down below the sleeping system, and then slid the TT up just a little and slid the toiletries to the bottom of the pack instead of lying on top of the Double Rainbow. All this did was move the weight slightly up my back. After trying it both way's, I found this to be more comfortable.

The point is, you can load it up and then move things around, because it's so easy to do so. You can just open it, move things, grab things, and close it up quickly when you're done.

There are a few things out of sight, like the hydration bladder (behind everything) and my Orikaso folding plate and mug (between the pack and framesheet). Once you're done loading it, you just pull all the compression straps the the pack goes nice and tight, and it holds everything in place.

The food will fit between all the gear and the zipper panel that opens the pack. It may not look like it, but there is enough room for 4 days or so of food there, or possibly more. I could rearrange a little for more space if I needed to (move the TarpTent to the outside of the pack).

After using a panel loader, I can't see going back to a top loader. It comes down to how you want to use your pack. Some people prefer top loaders for various reasons.

flagator
08-24-2006, 23:30
thank you all for your replies, i'm still weighing my options. I'd also like to mention that I'm short, at 5'7 and about 160 thick upper body. So i was wondering if an aether 60 might cause some unblance due to my height, or if my height is irrelevant. if it is can anyone suggest a very well balanced backpack.the osprey fit and felt great in the store but it was also empty, any thoughts?

Earl Grey
08-25-2006, 00:08
Check out an Atmos 50 by Osprey.

flagator
08-25-2006, 00:50
wouldn't that be a little too light for a thru?

Teatime
08-25-2006, 04:36
Try loosening your hip belt on climbs, to transfer weight to your shoulders. You'll be surprise how much easier your legs move without the restriction.:D
I have a Granite Gear Stratus Latitude. It's a quality pack. It transfers weight to the hips very well, in fact almost too well, because I find it difficult to shift much weight to my shoulders when I want to give my legs a break (i.e. long climbs). This probably would not be a problem on a thru hike, when conditioning would be better, and it's relatively minor even now - I just get a little more tired on hills, but it carries well and I have never had sore shoulders or a tired back at the end of the day.

I don't particularly care for the panel loading, because it is harder to pack and keep everything compressed as you pack (I tend to use loose stuff sacks for my insulated items) and the capacity seems smaller than stated overall. It is a little weighty compared to some packs (over 4 lb), and I am probably going to look for a lighter pack later, but it really is a well built and quality pack. I wouldn't hesitate to go with a Granite Gear again.

dickdurk
08-26-2006, 09:31
I just got a Nimbus Latitude $206.00 w/ free shipping. It's caused me to lose 15 lbs. (pre food & water) off my load. I'm 5'8" with relatively large upper torso, and the standard issue fits me like a glove. I didn't know it until I read the instruction manual on the pack (I have to buy everything by mail order) but granite gear allows for quite a bit of customizing-different size shoulder straps, belts, etc.

I did add a set of straps so I could put my sleeping pad and perhaps bag outside to allow more food cap. on longer trips with no resupply points.

Heading for the Iron mtns. for two weeks Sept. 28. Sure hope my new rig works out I think it will :)