PDA

View Full Version : Decided to go with alcohol.

Earl Grey
08-25-2006, 00:19
After reading lots of info and doing some calculations of my own it seems an alcohol stove would be better for all types of hikes rather than a canister solution. Theyre pretty easy to make but id like to buy one from someone who knows what theyre doing. Ive looked at SGT ROCK's ion stove and the brasslite. The complete kit for the brasslite is $60 while the ion stove is $21. It does come with a pot and fuel container. Is the brasslite worth 3 times as much as the ion stove?

River Runner
08-25-2006, 02:05
I made a very simple stove, with no stove making skills. Take a small cat food can. Punch holes around the top of it with a regular paper punch, spaced a quarter inch or so apart. Punch a second row of holes, just below and offset with the ones on the first row.

Pour in alcohol, light, hold the pot over the lit stove for a few seconds till the flame gets going good, and put the pot on top of the can.

Simple to make, stove & pot holder all in one. You will need a windscreen, which can be made from flashing or heavy foil such as from a disposable foil baking dish.

SGT Rock
08-25-2006, 03:16
As a guy that sells stoves I probably shouldn't say this BUT...

You can build an Ion and decide if you like it. IF you don't, you can always buy one of the Brasslite stoves later. IMO the Brasslite is a good stove and is probably more suited to most people's cooking style. My Ion stove is more suited to the guy that wants the lightest and more fuel efficient system and doesn't care about cooking speed as much.

You just have to decide with what you want to live with. If you want faster and don't care so much about weight and fuel consumption, then the Brasslite is a better option for you. If you want a stove system under one ounce and can deal with long cooking times in exchange for only needing a small fuel bottle, then the Ion is a viable option and you can make one yourself for next to nothing to try it and decide.

hopefulhiker
08-25-2006, 07:16
I like Rock's stove, just for kicks you ought to try building a pepsi can stove... I would not spend a bunch of money for an alcohol stove.. There are sites on the net and here that show you how to make one..

Fiddler
08-25-2006, 07:31
Congrats on deciding on alcohol. You should be happy with it in all but (maybe) the coldest weather. If you are in no hurry, still got time for a few days reading and tinkering, try this: http://zenstoves.net/ for a lot of good info. A look here will show you just how simple and fast these stoves are to make and operate. Also cheap. Only a few of the simplest tools needed. Sooner or later you will try making your own anyway, but a word of caution: this can become very addictive to some once they get started. I have a few more links if you want them.

JimM
08-25-2006, 08:35
Half the fun is in the search...hike-lite (purchased), stoves made from shoe polish cans and altoids tins, trangia and brasslite (purchased), cat stove type made from small can of peaches...just to name some that come to mind.

I like the fact that alcohol stoves are lightweight and silent in the woods. If I'm only boiling water to rehydrate food, I'm usually not in a rush. If it boils in 4 1/2 minutes, that's great...if it takes 5 1/2 minutes, it's no big deal.

Jim

Footslogger
08-25-2006, 08:37
Regardless of what model/style of alcohol stove you end up using I am certain you'll be happy with your choice. I did my thru in 2003 with the Trangia burner and I would use the same stove if I was beginning another thru tomorrow.

'Slogger

Michele
08-25-2006, 09:01
Hi blackmath...I had never built a stove, but I used the instructions/pics from this website and built a catfood can stove. VERY easy, and it's really cool to cook your first meal w/something that you just built w/your own two hands. Here's a link to it: http://www.royrobinson.homestead.com/Cat_Stove.html

If you want to see how good it works, here's a link to my trail journal pic page. Where I've got about 4 or so pics of it. Good luck! http://www.trailjournals.com/photos.cfm?id=148462

Smile
08-25-2006, 09:59
Good choice! It's always fun to experiment and cook at home with one, I use mine all the time....and have burn marks on some wood to vouch for that ;-)

DawnTreader
08-25-2006, 22:08
Rocks ion stove is great...it dosn't take a ridiculous amount of time to boil water, especially if you've got nothing else to do but camp chores, or sitting.. very simple and easy to make.. easier to buy

Just Jeff
08-25-2006, 22:33
Looking at this thread's title....I've decided to go with alcohol a few times myself.... :p

eric_plano
08-25-2006, 23:24
Been using a mini trangia for the past year with no problems. Will make my own when this one dies for sure.

Looking at this thread's title....I've decided to go with alcohol a few times myself.... :p

And I'm 7 into a Newcastle 12 that was suppoed to last me a weekend :o

Kerosene
08-26-2006, 00:13
If you've decided to go with alcohol over a canister stove, then you're probably doing it for either weight savings, ease of resupply, or noise level. Over the course of a few weeks, the Ion stacks up very well against many other alcohol stoves, using about half the fuel of other models I've read about.