PDA

View Full Version : Hiking alone w/dog?

Rouen
08-25-2006, 11:10
just curious, for those who have or are planning to hike alone with a dog or multiple dogs, how do/did you restock on food/supplies? what did you do with the dog(s) while you were in the store?

frieden
08-25-2006, 12:29
I'm hiking alone with a dog, but I'm afraid my answers wouldn't help you much, because Ed is a service dog. He goes everywhere with me, even though I have to threaten legal action constantly. :( It would be nice if another hiker in town would watch your dog, while you run into the store.

BlackCloud
08-25-2006, 17:21
just curious, for those who have or are planning to hike alone with a dog or multiple dogs, how do/did you restock on food/supplies? what did you do with the dog(s) while you were in the store?

Then you're not hiking alone are you?

What kind of beasts are these?

Rouen
08-26-2006, 11:05
Then you're not hiking alone are you?

I guess that depends, when I said alone I was refering to human company, though technically no with a dog you would not be alone.

What kind of beasts are these?
they are dogs :rolleyes:

general
08-26-2006, 11:19
if you're hiking with your dog, he/she should sit and stay on command until you release said dog from said command. at this point the dog becomes your pack protector, so sit em down outside the store, out of everyone elses way, and make em stay there until you're done with you're shopping.

Tamarack
09-17-2006, 04:26
My dog I regularily take for a walk to the corner plaza back home to get a stamp for a letter to mail, or to get money out of the bank and then hit the coffee shop for some take out. Another time went into the grocery store to pick up a bag of groceries. At any rate, I'd just loop her leash around something bolted to the ground. fence post, shopping cart return, light post, pay phone corner away from the entrance, a corner of the mail box(then I got in crap from the post man), the bicycle parking thingy, I did tie her to a wooden fence once. She tore down that part of the fence. Had to come back the next day with hammer and nails to put the board back up. She would "yip" all high pitched and such. My mommy abandoned me! Sometimes there would be kids near by who would ask if they could pet her while I was tieing her up and they'd stay with her and she'd be fine, or an adult who would pet her or talk to her and she'd settle. I just run in get what I gotta get and get out PDQ.