PDA

View Full Version : Trail Days VA trip...

tlbj6142
04-08-2003, 16:21
My brother and I are thinking about paying a short visit to Trail Days this year while we are on a 3-4 day trip in VA.

Right now I'm thinking....

Arrive at Damascus on the May 14th, or 15th. Get a shuttle to Dickey Gap, or Fox Creek. Hike back. Either along the AT or one of the parallel trails in the NRA.

I've heard from our local outfitter's thru-hiker ('99) that this is a really nice area in VA. Your thoughts? Anything I should go out of my way to see in the area? I don't have to stay on the AT.

After reading the short blurb on Damascus in the Companion, seems like MRO is my best bet for parking and a shuttle. Are there other options? I'm concerned that parking and shuttle services might be an issue given that Trail Days is going on at the same time.

Hammock Hanger
04-08-2003, 17:04
However that is not the time to leave the AT. Hiking thru the Grayson Highlands at that time of year, foaling, is not to be missed. Beautiful. Not sure of your hiking abilities but hiking from Massie Gap back to Damascus can be done in 2-3 days.

IMHO - It is one of the nicest spot on the trail.

Hammock Hanger

Presto
04-08-2003, 17:07
Graysen Highlands is definately a highlight of the section. You can hit the high point of VA if you are into that. It really is a cool section of the AT. Rhododendrin Gap was one of my favorite spots on the trail too. We had a great sunset there.

Due to traildays you will have different options available for shuttles. Although the outfitters maybe really busy, you can likely find a hitch out to where you want to go. Otherwise I would call the outfitters in advance, but outfitters do cost money and hitching is free.

Have fun, I am hoping to do a similar trip this year but am not sure if the funds are there yet.

smokymtnsteve
04-08-2003, 17:25
don't miss backbone rock!

tlbj6142
04-08-2003, 17:33
Sounds like we might have a hit. Now I just have to resolve the shuttle/parking issue.

HH;

Thanks for pointing out Massie Gap, that might be a good option if we end up with a shorter weekend than is currently planned. Given that it is within the state park, I ought to be able to find a shuttle/lift out there as well.

Lone Wolf
04-08-2003, 17:49
Free park and free shuttle from my place. I live in town.

Hammock Hanger
04-08-2003, 21:14
Lone WOlf has offered. I will be there with a vehicle as well, ask around for me if ya need something. I'll be camping out. HH

tlbj6142
04-09-2003, 12:29
LW;

Thanks for the offer. I'll get in contact with you as the date approaches.

tlbj6142
04-23-2003, 09:41
LW;

I sent you an email (not sure if you got that), and a private message with my contact information and our plans.

Let me know how to get to your place (looks like I'd arrive from I81 along RT58).

Thanks again for the offer.
Tony

Lone Wolf
04-23-2003, 10:09
Got you covered.

Jumpstart
04-23-2003, 15:41
Speaking of trail days, is it worth a twelve hour ride in the car from NH to only be able to attend on Thursday and Friday, and maybe part of Saturday? Just asking becuase we need to zip back up here for a wedding, but we really would like to go and see everyone, and bike the Creeper trail, etc... just wondering if we should put forth the effort of the drive to miss out on Saturday night and Sunday...

Peaks
04-23-2003, 17:11
Most of the activity is on Saturday. There is the talent show in the morning that is not to be missed, and the hiker parade in the afternoon.

Frankly, I question if the 12 hour ride is worth it. I'd much rather go to the Gathering.

tlbj6142
04-23-2003, 17:41
Gathering?

chris
04-23-2003, 18:25
In October. Lots of fun. Lots of information. Lots of drinking. This year it is in Hanover. See the ALDHA site for information on it.

Lone Wolf
04-23-2003, 22:51
Jumpstart, life is short. Of course it's worth the drive and time to come down for the Daze. Most weddings end in divorce. Your hiking family means more. The Gathering is for fuddy duddies. Too serious.

Peaks
04-24-2003, 08:13
Originally posted by Lone Wolf
Jumpstart, life is short. Of course it's worth the drive and time to come down for the Daze. Most weddings end in divorce. Your hiking family means more. The Gathering is for fuddy duddies. Too serious.

Both events are what you make of it. To me, Trail Days was too much underage drinking and party. At the Gathering, it's a chance to meet the living legends of the trail, and to meet the people who hike to live.

Sleepy the Arab
04-24-2003, 23:07
Jumpstart, speaking as a fellow New Hampshire-ite, this will be my third commute to trail days as a "civilian" from this state. Oddly enough, I am in the same predicament as you with a wedding to go to on Sunday. Trail Days can be worth it, but like most vacations, is what you make of it. I'll be combining this years trip with a hike (as I did last year when I hiked from the Highlands), so even if the folks from '01 aren't about (dare I even wish for a few '99ers??) it'll still be a memorable trip.

Sure, there's a lot of drunken debauchery going on down in Damascus, but if that isn't your thing there are always plenty of peaceful folks to hang out with. Not to mention the spiffy movie theater in nearby Abingdon (Matrix Reloaded, anyone?)...

tlbj6142
04-25-2003, 09:36
Originally posted by Peaks
To me, Trail Days was too much underage drinkingUnderage? I would assume most hikers are "of age". Are there really that many under 21? Or are there a bunch of underage locals that show up to the event?

Peaks
04-25-2003, 17:17
Originally posted by tlbj6142
Underage? I would assume most hikers are "of age". Are there really that many under 21? Or are there a bunch of underage locals that show up to the event?

I seemed to be surrounded by local youth out for the weekend. Granted, there were plenty of hikers there. But there were also many local youth just out for the weekend to party.

Jumpstart
04-27-2003, 08:07
Thanks for everyone's input, especially the reality from Lone Wolf that life IS short ;) We solved our problem: bought plane tickets to Nashville to visit one of the guys we thru-hiked most of the trail with, and we're all going to drive to Damascus together! Killing two birds with one stone, guaranteeing that we will see the few people we really wanted to see, and we give ourselves a little extra time to stay around for most of Saturday. Plane tickets weren't that cheap, but it's once a year, right? See you there!

tlbj6142
05-13-2003, 14:30
Well our plans have been finalized. And, thanks to Lone Wolf, the logistical issues have been resolved.

We plan to arrive at LW's place tomorrow (14th) around 5-6pm and get shuttled out to Fox Creek that evening.

Hope to hike back to the "city" late Saturday or early Sunday morning.

Weather (http://wwwa.accuweather.com/adcbin/public/local_index.asp?zipcode=24236&partner=accuweather) be damned, we are going to have a great time. Full report next week.