PDA

View Full Version : fall leaves hike

scope
08-25-2006, 11:41
I'd like to consider doing a fall hike in New England on the AT with the specific purpose of enjoying fall color. Something as short as 4 days, hopefully more like 9 days.

Would like to get some recommendations for where to go (ME,NH,VT,MA,CT), what days of the season are best, and what to expect weather-wise that time of year.

I'm in GA and am prepared gear-wise for something like Feb/March weather here. I'm also used to GA/NC terrain, doing 8-12 miles avg per day.

Thanks in advance for your help!

Cosmo
08-25-2006, 12:25
In Mass you could do 5 days border to border. Best time of year will be first two weeks in October. A bit of a crapshoot this year because of gypsy moth, tent caterpilars, wet spring and dry late summer.

Disatvantage is most lodging is booked and/or expensive, catering to the leaf peepers who peep sitting in their cars.

Cosmo

MAD777
08-25-2006, 17:34
My wife and I hiked the White Mtns. in NH 3rd week of October last year. Daytime temps about 40, lows mid 20s, light snow at 2000' and above some very light rain below, off and on. Colors had peak 2 weeks earlier but most of the folliage was still on the trees. It was still a nice time.

Kerosene
08-25-2006, 20:32
If you're open to other parts of the AT, I've had lovely fall colors in central Virginia in the first half of October.

Tinker
08-25-2006, 21:31
It is not difficult hiking. In late Sept. or early Oct. you might still be able to swim at Stratton or Little Rock Ponds. Shelters are a day or less apart on the trail. For more elevation, do the sections which include Camel's Hump and Mt. Mansfield. These mountains are north of the AT's departure from the Long Trail and are more remote and less traveled except for the peaks mentioned above. Just north of Mt. Mansfield, after crossing Smuggler's Notch are a couple of high peaks and a nice mountain lake with an enclosed cabin. I've forgotten the names, but remember enjoying the area immensly. Of course, the further north you go, the earlier you'll have to go to catch the leaves at their peak. I recommend visiting the Inn at the Long Trail on Rte. 4 for excellent food in an Irish pub atmosphere.