PDA

View Full Version : lodging in gorham

neo
08-26-2006, 09:31
whats is the most economical place to stay in gorham:cool: neo

Footslogger
08-26-2006, 09:45
We stayed in Gorham before and after doing the section between Rangeley and Gorham this past July. Our choice was Hikers Paradise and we have no regrets. Bruno and Mary Ann are great hosts. Not the TajMahal but all you need as a hiker and the breakfasts are great. We had bussed in from Boston inbound and got in late at night. The bus lets you off at the Irving Gas Station which is 100 yards away from Hikers Paradise so it was really convenient.

Check it out ...

If you do end up at Hikers Paradise tell them Footslogger and BadAss Turtle said HEY !!

'Slogger

neo
08-26-2006, 09:49
We stayed in Gorham before and after doing the section between Rangeley and Gorham this past July. Our choice was Hikers Paradise and we have no regrets. Bruno and Mary Ann are great hosts. Not the TajMahal but all you need as a hiker and the breakfasts are great. We had bussed in from Boston inbound and got in late at night. The bus lets you off at the Irving Gas Station which is 100 yards away from Hikers Paradise so it was really convenient.

Check it out ...

If you do end up at Hikers Paradise tell them Footslogger and BadAss Turtle said HEY !!

'Slogger

:) sounds good enough to me:cool: neo

DawnTreader
08-26-2006, 12:03
I stayed at hikers paradise and found it to be very hiker unfriendly. I had words with Bruno, and I don't believe I was out of line.. I stayed there one night, paid for the second night at 9:00 the next morning. At 10:30 a.m. I found out that my ride was going to pick me up later that afternoon, I went to Bruno to ask for my 2nd night refund, or partial refund, seeing it was only a little after 11:00.. He lost all of the witty rehearsed jokes that he had been throwing around the day before, looked me right in the eye, and said "check out is at 11:00 a.m. It's after 11:00 a.m." I looked at him in disbelief. He was right, it was after 11, but come on.. I polietly asked for a partial refund, he got snippey and kept repeating his original statement. I proceeded to tell him I thought that was BS and he was going to sell the bed that I paid for again, to another hiker, essentially getting paid twice for the same bed in the same day. He told me to "get out" wich I did...after a few words. Was I out of line? I know he had the right to keep my seventeen dollars, but it was seriously just after 11 a.m. I had stayed at Shaws and Pine Ellis in Andover, and Gull Pond Lodge, and couldn't believe the way that Bruno acted. I have no doubt that these other lodgings where I stayed would have refunded my money, Bruno would not.. I don't recomend Hikers Paradise. The bathroom is disgusting. . There are no good hostel accomidations in Gorham..

neo
08-26-2006, 16:33
I stayed at hikers paradise and found it to be very hiker unfriendly. I had words with Bruno, and I don't believe I was out of line.. I stayed there one night, paid for the second night at 9:00 the next morning. At 10:30 a.m. I found out that my ride was going to pick me up later that afternoon, I went to Bruno to ask for my 2nd night refund, or partial refund, seeing it was only a little after 11:00.. He lost all of the witty rehearsed jokes that he had been throwing around the day before, looked me right in the eye, and said "check out is at 11:00 a.m. It's after 11:00 a.m." I looked at him in disbelief. He was right, it was after 11, but come on.. I polietly asked for a partial refund, he got snippey and kept repeating his original statement. I proceeded to tell him I thought that was BS and he was going to sell the bed that I paid for again, to another hiker, essentially getting paid twice for the same bed in the same day. He told me to "get out" wich I did...after a few words. Was I out of line? I know he had the right to keep my seventeen dollars, but it was seriously just after 11 a.m. I had stayed at Shaws and Pine Ellis in Andover, and Gull Pond Lodge, and couldn't believe the way that Bruno acted. I have no doubt that these other lodgings where I stayed would have refunded my money, Bruno would not.. I don't recomend Hikers Paradise. The bathroom is disgusting. . There are no good hostel accomidations in Gorham..

:-? wow thats sucks:cool: neo

Jack Tarlin
08-26-2006, 16:50
A hostel stay might be slightly more economical (for the solo hiker anyway), but in my opinion, the most comfortable and enjoyable place for hikers to overnight in Gorham is in a motel.

TJ aka Teej
08-26-2006, 18:20
Hi Neo,
Try the Royalty Inn.

Jack Tarlin
08-26-2006, 18:45
Neo, Teej knows the Northern end of the Trail as well as anyone I can think of.

The Royalty is a fine place.

the goat
08-27-2006, 15:59
bruno and maryann are a$$holes. in 2003, i had a similar experience to dawntreader's. i've had good times there in the past, but hiker's p. really blows ever since bruce left.

hopefulhiker
08-27-2006, 18:42
the Royalty Inn is one of the nicest motels on the trail, There is another hostel there, not the Hikers paradise that was nice too.
The outfitter on the left as you head into town is not very good......I had a bad experience there. He was not an honest guy..not very hiker friendly..
also Gorham is great jump off/on to point on the trail for buses to other places..

rickb
08-27-2006, 18:49
Not cheap, though. The Northern Peak Motel wilol probably be cheaper, if still open.

What about the Barn Hostel? Is that open?

rickb
08-27-2006, 18:49
Not cheap, though. The Northern Peak Motel will probably be cheaper, if still open.

What about the Barn Hostel? Is that open?