PDA

View Full Version : Back from first hike using hammock

joec
08-26-2006, 12:56
Went from Devils Fork Gap to Hot Springs. Out 3 nites and used HH Deluxe/Hex tarp with JRB Nest as underquilt and No Sniveller as overquilt. Will never do a tent again unless being made to. I was by myself and got into hammock at dusk and got up at first light each morning. The first morning (my first ever after a nite in a hammock) I was so comfortable that I got up too early and decided to get back into the hammock for another hour of resting. Don't understand what good the side tie outs do, it seems to be more trouble than it is worth to tie them out. My body weight (220 lbs) makes the hammock go where it wants to go and the elastic in the tie outs seem to effect nothing. Any clues for me here? The bug net sure worked well, but would like to see a way to remove it as a option one day if no bugs are around. Also did not seem to have much stretching problems, just retied it once each nite after being in it for 10 minutes or so. All in all, no problems and a wonderful step up in comfort. My ease in using this is due to all the insight I got from reading Whiteblaze for a couple of months as I prepared to do this hike. Thanks for all the experienced posters.:D :D

hammock engineer
08-26-2006, 13:41
After you go hammock you never go back.

The side tie outs just make the hammock a little roomier. I am also about 220 lbs. I noticed the swinging a little less with the tie outs, but not too much. It is also warmer if you do not use the tie outs. Less space inside to heat.

Happy hanging.

peanuts
08-26-2006, 14:14
Welcome to the hanging crowd..... and its true you'll never go back....(unless is necessary).

Have fun!!!!

neo
08-26-2006, 16:29
Went from Devils Fork Gap to Hot Springs. Out 3 nites and used HH Deluxe/Hex tarp with JRB Nest as underquilt and No Sniveller as overquilt. Will never do a tent again unless being made to. I was by myself and got into hammock at dusk and got up at first light each morning. The first morning (my first ever after a nite in a hammock) I was so comfortable that I got up too early and decided to get back into the hammock for another hour of resting. Don't understand what good the side tie outs do, it seems to be more trouble than it is worth to tie them out. My body weight (220 lbs) makes the hammock go where it wants to go and the elastic in the tie outs seem to effect nothing. Any clues for me here? The bug net sure worked well, but would like to see a way to remove it as a option one day if no bugs are around. Also did not seem to have much stretching problems, just retied it once each nite after being in it for 10 minutes or so. All in all, no problems and a wonderful step up in comfort. My ease in using this is due to all the insight I got from reading Whiteblaze for a couple of months as I prepared to do this hike. Thanks for all the experienced posters.:D :D

:) happy hammock hanging to ya:cool: neo

ChooseYourHammock
08-26-2006, 18:51
Awesome! That's they way to camp. I want to go right now just thinking about it!

MedicineMan
08-26-2006, 21:16
Dont be surprised if you get a hammock stand for use in the house....
I've never to my recollection used the side-tie outs but have used them to attach various underquilts.

peter_pan
08-26-2006, 21:31
Welcome to the hanging crowd....Ain't it great comfort?

Pan

Tinker
08-26-2006, 23:33
I heard of one guy who changed his ridgeline so that it could be detached at one end. Theoretically, if you don't have the ridgeline, you can turn the hammock over and use it with the bug netting underneath. Of course, altering your hammock will void the warranty. I have a Byer hammock without bug netting that I use in colder weather.

Tinker
08-26-2006, 23:34
http://community.webshots.com/album/237103382ByZIeG

hammock engineer
08-27-2006, 00:05
One thought on the bug net with a cold set up.

I think the bug net is going to add a few degrees in the temp inside the hammock. I would be nice on some nights not to have the net. But on the really cold nights I think it is worth it.

Just Jeff
08-27-2006, 21:22
I think I use the tie-outs about half the time. They really help hold up the underquilt but they don't change how the hammock lays - just hold it open for folks who don't like bug nets in their faces.

jlb2012
08-28-2006, 08:16
One thought on the bug net with a cold set up.

I think the bug net is going to add a few degrees in the temp inside the hammock. I would be nice on some nights not to have the net. But on the really cold nights I think it is worth it.

On one really cold night the dang bug net frosted over so bad it was a freaking snowstorm any time I had to get up to water the bushes. As to whether it is worth it - I would say no - if there are no bugs cause it is so cold then there is no reason to put up with the bug net.

LuTotten
08-28-2006, 09:53
Another option that I took was just go out an buy a cheap nylon hammock (byer traveler works well, $20 and only weighs 8-10 oz) if your a weekender and know when you won't want/need the bug netting. Just use the cheap hammock and bring your existing tarp.

peanuts
08-28-2006, 10:02
Have you looked into the ENO, or Speer hammocks? They do not have the bug netting attached.. They are great hammocks also.

bido7614
09-08-2006, 18:00
is it always easier i mean is there ever not a place to put it? just wondering im trying to decide what to buy
lissie

Touch of Grey
09-08-2006, 19:13
Bido (Lissie) the good thing about a hammock like the HH's is that in a pinch above treeline or in a field you can with the aid of a hiking pole of a single branch/stick rig the hammock as a bivy sack of sorts and have the protection of the tarp and bugnetting. I believe the HH website shows their hammock being used as a bivy for demonstartion purposes. So there is great versatility in a hammock.

You certainly could not nor would I try to hang a tent in or from a tree in order to sleep in it.

The beauty of a hammock is the versatility and choices it allows you to have that a tent does not allow. Check out the HH website and look through it real good as there are quite a few pages that show a hammock stretched between two vehicles or someone has only had one tree useable but was also a rock climber and was able to use some rock-climbing gear to rig the other end of the hammock onto a rock wall.

You don't have to find level ground and you don't have to worry about the rocks that mysteriously seem to spring up beneath your tent after you go to bed at night and you were sure that you had picked the ideal tent site.

You do still have to watch for 'widow-makers' though.

Touch of Grey

Touch of Grey
09-08-2006, 19:27
HENNESSY HAMMOCKS: ultra-light line of jungle hammocks, ultra-comfortable camping hammock/chair/tent combo (http://www.hennessyhammock.com/)

Hiking H.Q. (http://hikinghq.net/)

BackpackGearTest.org - Home Page (http://backpackgeartest.org/)

The first place is the Hennessy Hammock site. the second place is Sgt. Rock's web site and a good place to read his exploits with a hammock and various other hiking stuff. The last place is a place besides here on WB to read some of what other people have to say about different types of gear.

HERE COMES THE DISCLAIMER>>>

As with anything on the web, there is both good and bad information to be had. While most people here on WB will not steer you wrong in anyway, we all have bias opinions about certain things. Do your homework as you are and research it as much as possible and then see if you can borrow something to try it out before buying it unless you have unlimited deep pockets it can get real expensive real quick just buying gera and then returning or reselling it when you find it does not fit the bill.

TOG:-?

strnorm
09-08-2006, 21:02
I have a byer, if you dont want the bug net the instructions tell you to hang it with net down.

Tinker
09-09-2006, 00:56
http://www.mountainlaureldesigns.com/hammocks.php

It's relatively new to the market.

Just Jeff
09-09-2006, 01:22
Man, I want one! I'm trying to figure out what I can sell to justify buying one!