PDA

View Full Version : Devils Fork Gap to Hot Springs report

joec
08-26-2006, 13:06
Just got back from this hike (posted about my hammocks thoughts on the Hammock forum). Devils Fork Gap to Big Butt was probably the least of all my hikes as far as being inspiring. The trail followed a old road for a good length and it was poorly marked as the trail followed and/or crossed the road into the woods. I was on edge all the time looking for blazes as I was fearful I would continue on the road and miss where it went off for good in another direction. Met a couple of guys that said the same thing and actually got turned around at Big Butt where the trail takes an hard right (they went straight as other hikers had done over time and apparently made a trail by mistake. There was a rock that marked the turn but the summer weeds had partially covered it. Once I got the the top of Rich Mountain my feelings changed and it was wonderful, especially from Tanyard Gap on into Hot Springs. The descent into Hot Springs is the most dramatic and beautiful that I have seen in my hikes on the AT. Will take my wife back to that 6 mile trip in the spring. Camped the last nite on the banks of the French Broad (to tired to go on into town, I was not planning on being that far along and was to tired to go on. Great ending to the trip.

Brushy Sage
08-26-2006, 15:08
Thanks for the report. Did you get any views from the Firescald ridgeline (a rocky crest), or did you stay on the bad weather route (blue blaze)?

joec
08-26-2006, 16:51
It was raining and I tried the first one (missed the sign saying bad weather route) and it was not worth it. I slipped and fell and could not see anything due to rain and overgrowth. Good that the first one was very short. The second one I took the blue blazed bad weather route and it was about a mile long. Wish I could have done the white blaze trail.