PDA

View Full Version : Katahdin sign

derekthered
08-26-2006, 20:54
The Katahdin sign looks like it's in pretty bad disrepair from the photos I've seen of it this year. Do people deliberately abuse the thing or is it just from weathering and people touching it in general? I'm planning on thru-hiking in '07 and I hope it's still standing/ slightly readable if/ when I arrive.

Jack Tarlin
08-26-2006, 21:03
Weathering. It's a tough place to spend the winter.

ed bell
08-26-2006, 21:03
I'm planning on thru-hiking in '07 and I hope it's still standing/ slightly readable if/ when I arrive.Relax, I'm sure it will be there. Weather does have an effect, but Trail maintenance will keep that sign photo ready.:D

Nightwalker
08-28-2006, 01:33
Weathering. It's a tough place to spend the winter.
Does it stay up there all winter? Dumb question...

Lone Wolf
08-28-2006, 06:28
Yup. Dumb question. It stays up year round.

weary
08-28-2006, 10:19
Yup and yup!

weary
08-28-2006, 10:23
The Katahdin sign looks like it's in pretty bad disrepair from the photos I've seen of it this year. Do people deliberately abuse the thing or is it just from weathering and people touching it in general? I'm planning on thru-hiking in '07 and I hope it's still standing/ slightly readable if/ when I arrive.
Weather is the chief culprint, but few of the thousands that make it to the summit each year can resist touching the sign that marks one end of the Appalachian Trail.

Weary

Footslogger
08-28-2006, 10:26
I've only stood atop Katahdin twice and both times I actually appreciated the somewhat worn and battered appearance of the sign. Nice if the inscriptions can be read but otherwise it seems a fitting testimonial marking the end of a long ordeal.

'Slogger

RITBlake
08-28-2006, 11:56
I saw not one but two Kathadin signs on my thru hike. One of course was atop the Big K, any guesses as to where I saw the other?

celt
08-28-2006, 12:28
I saw not one but two Kathadin signs on my thru hike. One of course was atop the Big K, any guesses as to where I saw the other?
ATC headquarters in Harpers Ferry? The current Katahdin sign was new in 1999 and I heard the old one went on display in Harpers. Lots of '99 thru hikers complained about having such a new looking sign for their summit photo.

Blue Jay
08-28-2006, 12:28

I'd like to see the look on the rangers faces, if someone told them to haul it down each fall. Most likely something like this :eek:

RITBlake
08-28-2006, 12:49
ATC headquarters in Harpers Ferry? The current Katahdin sign was new in 1999 and I heard the old one went on display in Harpers. Lots of '99 thru hikers complained about having such a new looking sign for their summit photo.

yup! :) that was it. it was just tucked away in the corner, it should have been on display.