PDA

View Full Version : bag setup advice

Biloxi
08-27-2006, 15:46
:-? ok I was wondering something, so here goes. hopefully I will get some feed back on this as a winter setup..I found a 20degree down slumberjack bag mummy type..and a 50degree synthetic slumberjack rectangle type..if I was to use the 50degree as a bag cover (extra insulation) over the 20degree down. how do you think this would do for a winter thru total weight for both is 4LB11oz.and wood this keep the down from absorbing moisture or hold moisture in from body heat? ??

Biloxi
08-27-2006, 15:55
or would it be better to do the opposite and put the synthetic on the inside of the down as to not allow as much persperation to enter the down.if I kept the outside dry as possible would this work.and with either possibly how low temp wise do you think this would be good too

hikerjohnd
08-27-2006, 16:45
That is a pretty heavy set-up for a sleeping bag. Putting one bag inside of another will casue the materials on the bag to experience some compression. It is the loft of the insulating materials that give the bag its warmth. Any compression will lower the bags ability to keep you warm. If you need a bag for cold winter conditions, get a 0* or lower rated bag and just use a single bag. You can save more than a pound in weight alone.

Just Jeff
08-27-2006, 21:07
I see two advantages to that system. First, versatility - you have three temperature ranges with that relatively inexpensive set...a summer quilt, a 20F bag, and you could probably get to 0F or so with the quilt on top (just a guess).

Second, the condensation thing you brought up. If you put the quilt on top, most of the moisture from your body will move into the quilt before it condenses, and a 50F quilt will dry much quicker than a 20F down bag.

But like hikerjohnd said, 5 lbs is pretty heavy for a ~0F bag, and the synthetic quilt will compress the down underneath it a bit. So it depends on what you value more - price and versatility, or weight.

fiddlehead
08-27-2006, 21:23
I think you will definitely get some more warmth to each bag this way. But i don't know how you could calculate what rating to give the double bag system. You'd have to try it and then decide. I don't think you'll get 0 deg. from the 2. Perhaps more like 10.

Programbo
08-27-2006, 21:28
You must take into account where you`ll be sleeping also...When a company gives a temp rating on a bag they are assuming you are in a good quality double walled tent with a fairly snug setup sheltered from air movement...The tent you say you will use in another post doesn`t quite fit this bill...To gain warmth I would just use some sort of liner inside your down bag rather than put the rect one over the mummy...If the mummy is cut full enough maybe get a seamstress to cut the synthetic bag down into a nice liner to fit in the down bag