PDA

View Full Version : Removing ridge cord on a HH? - JBR under quilts with speer?

popcorn
08-27-2006, 17:49
Hello

Question # one
I read in one of the posts, (I can't find it now), a third hand report of a HH user detaching the ridge cord so that they could flip the hammock over to be used without the bug netting when conditions warranted.

Does any one have first hand experience with doing this?

It seems that one could cut the ridge and set it up with a ring and mitten hook that maintained the factory length when hooked and then easily detach to flip over.

Are there pit falls to this idea that are not apparent?

Question @two
I perused the archives a while back but do not recall mention of using JBR under quilts with a Speer is this doable?

Just Jeff
08-27-2006, 20:56
1 - Coy over on the Yahoo hammockcamping group did this b/c HH made the ridgeline too short. It worked ok for him. Someone else did it (don't remember who) but it didn't work so well - the bugnet is cut to the same length as the ridgeline, so if you remove the ridgeline you'll really be stretching the bugnet...not good, at least in his opinion. He was either here or on hammockcamping so post over there and you'll probably have your firsthand report shortly.

2 - JRB quilts work fine on Speers. Not as well as on HH because of the side tie-outs, and the Nest fits better when the opening is velcroed to the HH, but I've used mine several times. The only difficulty I've had is a big airgap under my legs. Finding a way to hold the underquilt's sides up around my knees helped out quite a bit.

stag3
08-29-2006, 12:59
Okay, Popcorn, do not cut the ridge line. I did this (stupid idea:eek: ) only to find that the bug net is the same lenth as the ridgeline.

My next plan was to make the bug net removable. Got smart this time and figured this was just another bad idea.:D

Stag

Just Jeff
08-29-2006, 13:17
Yep - Stag is who I was thinking of. Thanks for posting, Stag!

Brian from Tampa at hammockcamping made his bugnet removable and seems to like it. A zipper that big would add quite a bit of weight if that's an issue for you, though.

erichlf
08-29-2006, 20:33
How about folding it in half similar to how one would use it as a chair?

River Runner
09-03-2006, 03:30
How about folding it in half similar to how one would use it as a chair?

Yes, that works. I often lay on top of mine in the evening to lounge.