View Full Version : Resupply option for the Mahoosics

rickb
08-27-2006, 19:10
Now these guys have it figured out! :banana

http://trailtorecovery.org/NYGuardPics.html

Jack Tarlin
08-27-2006, 19:28
Cool shots, Rick.

However, knowing the political sentiments of some of the folks on this site, I predict it will be just a short time before:

1) People start questioning the presence/expense of the helicopter, i.e was
this a training hike, an actual search & rescue, etc.

2) Perhaps the folks from the Indiantown Gap thread will show up and
whine about the noise the helicopter made, how it destroyed someone's
Wilderness experience for six minutes, how it was out of place in the
Bigelows, or some other idiocy.

To hell with them. My best friend just retired after more than 20 years in the Guard. We both know Guardsmen that have served in Afghanistan, one of them more than once. Something like twenty per cent of the servicepeople in Iraq were serving in the Guard or the Reserves. God Bless these men and women and everything they do.

rickb
08-27-2006, 19:35
Jack, while it may not alway seem that way, we agree on far more things than you realize!

They are cool shots, and the hike and what these guys are doing is pretty dang cool too. You can get to thier page by clicking on the link on the WB home page.

mrc237
08-27-2006, 19:40
coincidently I'm wearing TTR 06' tee today

TJ aka Teej
08-27-2006, 19:59
Using this thread to dis others? Save it for the Politics forum, Jack.
---
From up on Chairback in July I watched one of those huge machines as it slowly made its way around White Cap participating in what I later found out was a rescue. Finest kind of folks working that job, without a doubt. Is that the barefooted Marine's site, mrc?

Jack Tarlin
08-27-2006, 20:15
Read my post, you raging ass-clown. I wasn't "dissing" anyone. I was instead praising the brave men and women in our National Guard, and I was ridiculing those who've bitched and whined about military training flights elsewhere on Whiteblaze.

If you think this was dis-respecting anyone, well that's your opinion.

And you know where you can lodge it.

TJ aka Teej
08-27-2006, 21:40
Read my post, you raging ass-clown. I wasn't "dissing" anyone. I was instead praising the brave men and women in our National Guard, and I was ridiculing those who've bitched and whined about military training flights elsewhere on Whiteblaze.

If you think this was dis-respecting anyone, well that's your opinion.

And you know where you can lodge it.

So, you claim you weren't using this thread to dis others, you were using this thread to ridicule others regarding their "political sentiments"? And you think by doing so you're "praising the brave men and women in our National Guard"? Well, God Bless America, and all those defending your right to express yourself the way you do.

Jack Tarlin
08-27-2006, 21:47
It was pretty clear what I was saying, Teej.

If you need a Hooked on Phonics Refresher Reading Course, don't blame me.

And using ghetto slang like "dis" doesn't make you look hip, Teej. Coming from a middle-aged white guy from Maine, it's actually pretty funny. Is this supposed to show how people acquire street cred in Skowhegan?

Now piss off and go bother someone else.

If you need something to do, you can always give us your list of 20 hot Democrats that according to you, could whip any Republican in 2008.

Trying to coming up with THAT should keep you out of trouble for awhile.

Bye, now.

TJ aka Teej
08-27-2006, 22:00
It's pretty clear you're abusing the generosity of those who provide us WhiteBlaze as a hiking forum, and have decided that political topics should stay in the political forum. Show a little class, Jack.

Jack Tarlin
08-27-2006, 22:15
Christ, you're hysterical, Teej. I can think of plenty of times you've injected politics into a non-political thread. Whether its a discussion of the National Park budget; threats to the environment; wind power; land management policies in the Trail corridor---you name it, you never fail to mention the President, his Party, his associates, and so on, again and again, ad nauseum, whatever the actual topic under discussion.

Whatever the subject, you always manage to inject something like "Yet again the jackbooted whoreson thugs of the Rove Puppet State display their true intentions, which is to enslave us to Big Oil, shred the Constitution, and introduce fascism to America. Wake up for God's sake! They're coming for you!......"

And so on. Every day, you sound like a villager in the first "Invasion of the Body Snatchers" movie screeching about the aliens he swears are trundling down Main Street.

You're a pathetic crashing bore when it comes to politics, Teej. A broken record. And as was proven as recently as yesterday, when you're challenged for making statements that simply aren't true, like your mythical Democratic contenders, you run away like a scalded infant. It would seem that your facts aren't as good as your ability to rant.

And you're telling ME to show some class here?

Christ, you're funny.

But thanks for giving me this lesson in "class", Teej. Just remember, the next time YOU inject some anti-Bush diatribe into a non-political thread, be prepared to eat some crow, cuz you'll be called out on it.

And criticized for a lack of class, too!

Night, night.

TJ aka Teej
08-27-2006, 22:24
I can think of plenty of times you've injected politics into a non-political thread. Whether its a discussion of the National Park budget; threats to the environment; wind power; land management policies in the Trail corridor---you name it, you never fail to mention the President, his Party, his associates, and so on, again and again, ad nauseum, whatever the actual topic under discussion.

Whatever the subject, you always manage to inject something like "Yet again the jackbooted whoreson thugs of the Rove Puppet State display their true intentions, which is to enslave us to Big Oil, shred the Constitution, and introduce fascism to America. Wake up for God's sake! They're coming for you!......"

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/search.php?searchid=1102627
"Find all posts by TJ aka Teej"

Tinker
08-27-2006, 22:28
I, too, have made an ass of myself by reading half of someone else's post, quickly, and gone off on a self-righteous tirade.
I've been called on it.
I apologized, even though I was dragged through the mud by the one I offended.

Play nice, guys!:rolleyes:

Jack Tarlin
08-27-2006, 22:40
You're right, Tinker. I'll try again:

Cool shots, Rick. Thanx for sending them along!

weary
08-27-2006, 22:58
.....However, knowing the political sentiments of some of the folks on this site, I predict it will be just a short time before:

1) People start questioning the presence/expense of the helicopter, i.e was
this a training hike, an actual search & rescue, etc.

2) Perhaps the folks from the Indiantown Gap thread will show up and
whine about the noise the helicopter made, how it destroyed someone's
Wilderness experience for six minutes, how it was out of place in the
Bigelows, or some other idiocy.......
Sounds to me, Jack like you couldn't find anyone to "dis." So you imagined a few.

BTW, opposing such means of transportation in the mountains is not as farfetched and outrageous as you suggest. It would have been illegal in Baxter Park unless the helicopter had been specifically ordered for a rescue by the park supervisor. Governor Baxter rightly opposed allowing pontoon planes to land on the lakes of his "forever wild" park. He died before helicopters became common, but I imagine the good governore would have been equally opposed to helicopters landing on the summit of his beloved mountain, don't you think.

I spend a great deal of time these days attempting to keep a few places free of motors.These battles deal mostly with ATVs, and new road access to the Allagash Wilderness Waterway, but while we are in the imaginging mode: helicopters are even bigger, noisier and potentially more damaging than ATVs. Like you I imagine that they would be subject to a lot of concern if their use becomes a common way to get people to the summits of the Appalachians.

Luckily, commercial use of helicopters is already illegal on Bigelow under the terms of the referendum approved by Maine voters 30 years ago this summer, though attempts have been made at recent legislative sessions to weaken the ban on commercial use of the preserve.

DEvelopers of a proposed string of luxury hotels that would parallel the AT in the wildlands of Maine want to traverse the Bigelow preserve with grooming machines to make it easier for skiers to access the hotels.

The developers say only pedestrians would be allowed on the groomed trails in the summer. But since some of the hotels are 25 or 30 miles apart, I suspect ATVs -- perhaps even helicopters -- may quickly supplant foot travel.

Weary

Jack Tarlin
08-27-2006, 23:05
Actually, Weary, I'm not imagining anything. It's your memory that is coming up short.

There was a very lively thread here a few weeks ago in which a few folks were whining about their wilderness experience being ruined by their being forced to listen to the sound of military aircraft engaged in a training exercise.

I made the point at the time that anyone who would object to such a thing is an idiot.

I still believe it.

Rambler
08-27-2006, 23:12
Mt. Avery as in Bigelow and the Bigelow Range. If you need evacuation or are lost in the mountains, it's the National Guard helicopters that will come looking for you. Some have heat seeking devices to catch you.

rickb
08-28-2006, 06:30
I started this thread in the hopes that it might re-draw a bit of attention to the www.trailtorecovery.org project.

Since contovery "sells", keep raging on. All publicity is good publicity right. :D

But It really is a cool project-- and one worthy of some support!

TJ aka Teej
08-30-2006, 21:24
...plenty of times you've injected politics into a non-political thread. Whether its a discussion of the National Park budget; threats to the environment; wind power; land management policies in the Trail corridor---you name it, you never fail to mention the President, his Party, his associates, and so on, again and again, ad nauseum, whatever the actual topic under discussion.

The above is a lie, and therefore violates the WB user agreement. I have asked an administrator to remove this post.

dixicritter
08-30-2006, 22:01
The above is a lie, and therefore violates the WB user agreement. I have asked an administrator to remove this post.

Teej, I gave you my answer in PM. I don't appreciate being called out like this. You were told that you started this fight with Jack and to ignore him. Now that you've called an Administrator out in open forum it is YOU who have violated the user agreement as well. So I am hereby saying... stop it to all of this nonsense.

Go hiking or something... Good grief already.

:rolleyes:

Conductor
08-30-2006, 23:18
I ran into these two guys at Hall Mountain Lean-To earlier this month. They told us about the Rangers or some special ops group joining them for a piece of their hike, but it's nice to see some confirmation that this really hapened.

Seemed like stand up guys. Maybe I'll take another look at that web site and support them. Craig 'Trainwreck' Fitzgerald and David Wilcoxen. Sorry forgot his trail name. They were SOBO at Hall Mt. on August 4th.

Worth a look, if you feel like supporting their cause.

http://www.trailtorecovery.org (http://www.trailtorecovery.org/)

Time To Fly 97
08-31-2006, 10:19
Jack is right on...

Thank you NY Guard and very cool pics! On more times than I can count I have wished for a helicopter drop to the beginning or end of a hike. Getting an extra day or two to hike instead of travel would be priceless. These guys have earned that ride - for sure.

If I had a helicopter drop for this weekend...I would hike the Great Range Traverse in the Adirondacks.

Teej - why did you attack Jack like that? He made a completely positive comment.

Happy hiking!

TTF

TJ aka Teej
08-31-2006, 10:39
Teej - why did you attack Jack like that?
Hi TTF,
"Attack"? You mean when I said "Save it for the Politics forum, Jack."? Or when I said "It's pretty clear you're abusing the generosity of those who provide us WhiteBlaze as a hiking forum, and have decided that political topics should stay in the political forum. Show a little class, Jack."? I apologize to anyone who thought those were "attacks," but I'll stick with what I said.

TJ aka Teej
08-31-2006, 10:40
it is YOU who have violated the user agreement as well.
There's a first time for everything! :D

Good grief already.

:rolleyes:
I agree!

Time To Fly 97
08-31-2006, 11:34
Hey Teej,

BTW...awesome pictures!

TTF

SawnieRobertson
08-31-2006, 12:19
It's like having a shot of B-12. Please do not remove any of this exchange. It should be turned into a skit and presented at The Gathering. Now, who will play Jack? Jack Himself, I hope. Don't know Teej, but I'd want him to have someone quite handsome, agile in speech and movement (might have to duck). And then Weary, if only Weary would come, bringing to the group yet a third dimension. And then the chorus. Whatta you want to bet that people would be talking about it for the next two years?--Kinnickinic

TJ aka Teej
08-31-2006, 18:05
It should be turned into a skit and presented at The Gathering.
Perhaps a takeoff on the old Saturday Night Live Point-counterpoint skits, Sawnie. I'll be in drag playing Jane Curtain, and Jack can play the Dan Ackroyd character. I can hear Jack now.. "Teej, you ignorant s!ut...":D

Jack Tarlin
08-31-2006, 18:15
Nah, Teej, I've come to know you pretty well.

****tishnes is in the eye of the beholder.

You're merely ignorant. :D

See ya.

Jack Tarlin
08-31-2006, 18:19
Damn, what's with the asterisks?? THAT'S never happened before!

All I said was being or not being a **** was in the eye of the beholder.

Wow.

You might wanna look into this, Teej. Looks like Karl Rove/Cheney jackbooted fascism and infringements on our First Amendment Rights have landed and taken hold.

Looks like Teej was right after all.

Who woulda thunk it?

Lone Wolf
08-31-2006, 21:05
Where's Warren? I'd rather listen/read his posts. Always refreshing.