PDA

View Full Version : "trashed" my hammock last night.

Doctari
08-27-2006, 20:23
Well, not exactly totally trashed, but fairly badly damaged.

I got up in the middle of the night, to pee, again (hey I'm over 50), anyway, when getting back in my Bayer, I got careless tore the zipper AND the netting from the body of the hammock & each other. And, one of the slides fell off. OK said I, easy fix needle & thread & 10 minutes. Wrong, as I took the hammock down, I over zipped the remaining slider, right off the zipper. 1 hour later, the slider was still off & my frustration level was at MAX!

My wife may be able to fix it, but damn, I am now for all practical purpouses hammockless till it's fixed or replaced. This is awful!!

On the brighter side, I have been planning on getting a second hammock to hang inside, sooooo may now be "forced" to do so. The "Old" (damaged one) can hang inside, no skeeters or other biting critters in my house.

Just wanted to cry on a few shoulders, thanks!

Doctari.

Just Jeff
08-27-2006, 20:50
On the brighter side, I have been planning on getting a second hammock to hang inside, sooooo may now be "forced" to do so.

That's the spirit...

Spock
08-27-2006, 22:10
Don't relegate it to the house, take the zipper tapes off, add a static line like a HH and drape net over it. You won't have to mess with the zippers in the middle of the night and it will be lighter. See Just Jeff's hammock site for some easy fixes, including pockets near the net hem to hold stuff you want at night - the weight of which will keep the net down.

Tinker
08-27-2006, 22:16
Replace it with a Hammock Bliss mosquito hammock. It's a better design and is probably made better. I'd buy one if I didn't own a Hennessy. Another option is the hammock from Jacks R Better, a similar design.

Doctari
08-29-2006, 09:01
Don't relegate it to the house, take the zipper tapes off, add a static line like a HH and drape net over it. You won't have to mess with the zippers in the middle of the night and it will be lighter. See Just Jeff's hammock site for some easy fixes, including pockets near the net hem to hold stuff you want at night - the weight of which will keep the net down.

DOH!

I like that idea, , , , , glad I thought of it :D

Replace it with a Hammock Bliss mosquito hammock. It's a better design and is probably made better. I'd buy one if I didn't own a Hennessy. Another option is the hammock from Jacks R Better, a similar design.

I may do just that, if nothing else so I have a second hammock to add to my "collection". Would also give me a chance to try another style.

BTW: the damage had nothing to do with the construction / quality of the Bayer, I got careless x 2 or I would possibly never had to post this :rolleyes:
Hopefully it's a lesson learned.

Thanks for the hints!

Doctari.

Doctari
08-29-2006, 09:26

I just re-looked at both, they have white netting, I can't see out of white & I don't like that. If they change to more see-thru black netting I'll be one of the first in line.

Doctari.

DawnTreader
08-29-2006, 11:15
The Jacks are making a hammock now??? I'll have to check that out

peter_pan
08-29-2006, 14:22
The Jacks are making a hammock now??? I'll have to check that out

Tilt...reported facts in err.

JRB is not yet making a hammock...the hammock on our site is Tom Clator's mosquito hammock...nice hammock for the value....sleeps great...can lay on an asym....

Best part is it come with a JRB added tab to allow the simple clip on of the JGH/PC as a gear hammock...therefore all gear is off the ground in a water proof gear hammock....no hassle, nice approach.

Pan

briarpatch
08-29-2006, 16:19
<begin quote> Well, not exactly totally trashed, but fairly badly damaged.

"... I over zipped the remaining slider, right off the zipper. 1 hour later, the slider was still off & my frustration level was at MAX!" <end quote>

Doctari,

I had a similar problem with a Byer Mosquito. At first, I used a slider from a repair kit to replace the original slider. I later decided that the original zipper was a bit fragile for my tastes, so I replaced it with a heavier one from the local fabric store.

If you decide to try to drape the netting without a zipper, you will need to add about 18" of additional netting, or the netting won't cover the gap (I thought about doing this before I decided to do the repair).

weary
08-29-2006, 16:54
DOH!

I like that idea, , , , , glad I thought of it :D
I may do just that, if nothing else so I have a second hammock to add to my "collection". Would also give me a chance to try another style.
BTW: the damage had nothing to do with the construction / quality of the Bayer, I got careless x 2 or I would possibly never had to post this :rolleyes:
Hopefully it's a lesson learned.
Thanks for the hints!
Doctari.
Campmor sells zipper repair kits, which I think consist of new sliders and directions for attaching same.

Weary

Doctari
08-29-2006, 22:51
Doctari,

I had a similar problem with a Byer Mosquito. At first, I used a slider from a repair kit to replace the original slider. I later decided that the original zipper was a bit fragile for my tastes, so I replaced it with a heavier one from the local fabric store.

If you decide to try to drape the netting without a zipper, you will need to add about 18" of additional netting, or the netting won't cover the gap (I thought about doing this before I decided to do the repair).

The actual zipper held well, it pulled from the netting & body, unfortunatly, the netting or material was what kept the sliders from comming off. I lost the one slider that came of with the inital mess up, then stoopidly pulled off the other.

I am considering doing the draping, going to see if the wife can fix it first. She thinks she can even find a replacement slider for the one lost.

Doctari.

Hana_Hanger
08-30-2006, 13:34
Doctari...now you know you are sold on hammock hanging...and Xmas is just around the corner...hint hint to all family members.

The hammock JRB is selling that Tom makes is an excellent hammock for the price IMO and I love the fact of the second liner that holds your pad in place under you.

I sewed up my Byer one finally and sewed across the zipper making stops from the thread so as to NOT go pass and rip out my zippers.
C & C is still selling the Byer at only $19.99....never hurts to have a spare or two :D

speedy
08-31-2006, 02:22
I know I'm going to realize it what it means and feel stupid just as soon as I post this, but what is C & C?

Doctari
08-31-2006, 04:03
I know I'm going to realize it what it means and feel stupid just as soon as I post this, but what is C & C?
C&C outdoors http://www.ccoutdoorstore.com/ fine people, good prices! That's who I got the hammock from.

No such thing as a stupid question BTW.

Doctari.

speedy
08-31-2006, 14:07
No such thing as a stupid question BTW.

Nope, just ones that get you flamed and marked for life as a noob!

thanks for the link :D speedy